Rules for Deer carcasses

BizCT

Tried searching the web for NYS rules regarding deer carcasses on my phone, but not having much luck.

How does it work if you want to use deer carcasses as bait for yotes/fox/bobcats? Does your tag stay with the carcass, or with the meat/head?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On page 62 of this year's hunting and trapping regulation book there is a question that asks what to do with your tag after you report your deer harvest and after the deer is cut up. Answer says that the tag must remain with the meat, not the carcass. You should be good to use the carcass to hunt for yotes as long as the tag is home with the meat.

you must have a tag for all road kill that falls under game species i have seen people get a ticket for picking up a dead fox 

This is true. We must have a license to possess carcasses for research baiting.

I dump all butchering remains - sans tags - way back on my property then put a camera on them.

I have heard many complaints from people who find butchering remains dumped on their property on the roadside.

I gave the DEC site a quick look and in the old "Questions" section it said once the deer is cut up for consumption, the tags stay with the carcass.  The only exceptions seems to be when transporting the meat, the the tag or a copy must travel with the meat.

"Q: Do I need to have my deer tags with the deer meat in my freezer?
A: No, the tags remain on the carcass. When the carcass is disposed of, the tags may also be discarded. However, when you are transporting packaged venison, you must provide a tag with the meat."

As far as bait goes, I asked a local (Zone 4) ECO a  year ago or so before coyote hunting.  He told me that only legally obtained carcasses could be used for coyote, bobcat, etc. bait.  

Your legally obtained deer carcass is ok, but road kill is illegal to use as bait unless you had an officer issue a tag to possess it.  

So, No you cannot legally use road kill regardless of what others say.

That makes sense.  Since you need a tag to possess the carcass.

Those are the rules as I found them out.  Obviously, people will do or tell you what they want to or think is fair regardless.

Thx guys. Just to clarify I'm not talking about roadkills. I'm talking about a deer I shoot. Can I take the meat and head with me while leaving the rest in the woods for bait?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many do when they do the gutless deer quartering method.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1