All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. UpStateRedNeck

Prime Day

DEWALT 20V MAX Cordless Drill/Driver with 15-Piece Drive Tool Accessory Set (DCD771C2 & DWMT73807) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RP4TMVX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_lknlDbYC33A1C Got a cordless drill, pretty good deal.
  3. moog5050

Worried about my daughter making the team....

I keep thinking what an awesome left tackle he will be, but you are right, baseball may be the better focus of the two.
  4. Biz-R-OWorld

Gramps - If your grandson is 6-5” and 220lbs at 15 years old, barely anyone will “catch up” to him in size. If he’s throwing a legit 87mph, he needs to go full force for baseball. D1 should be a backup plan. There’s no reason why with the right training and showcase recognition, that he will not improve his throwing speed/mechanics over the next 2 full years. Therefore, he will be drafted and then can decide D1 or take the $ and start in the minors. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. crappyice

Happy Birthday to my Boy

And my daughters bright idea to recreate the above...15 years is a LONG TIME AGO!!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. cynthiafu

Reptile and amphibians

Awesome .when I was.little I would bring home spotted salamanders all the time . My dad would let them go when I fell asleep . Just like anything I brought home lol . My mom hated me. She likes to tell the stories of putting my clothes away and never knowing what she would find lol . I would bring home worms , rabbits , frogs, turtles , snakes ,fawns,raccoons,kittens ,fish, tadpoles, even had a puppy in my closet for 3 days before they found it . Lol
  7. Private land ? What's that. I could only wish.
  8. johnplav

Any History channels , Alone fans

Pemmican... doesn't sound too good, but I can see how it would stay preserved and keep them alive
  9. Today
  10. First-light

I too at one point pushed hard. I wondered if I pushed too hard? I work out and run everyday. She picked up my habits at the age of 9-10. This is her routine now. She has her team and practices 3x a week. School ball is exactly what you said it was. Although her school she was on varsity in 9th grade. I backed off a bit after she made ECNL. It was here dream to play in that league. I thought if she is super serious I knew she will make all the right decisions. Now playing U15 its up to her. We are sending her to West Point and Holy Cross for 3 day camps. She wanted all of this we are supporting it. If she came to me tomorrow and said I'm done I would ask her once, twice three times if she was sure and move on. She is old enough that she doesn't need me pushing hard behind her. I like it this way, all on her.
  11. Culvercreek hunt club

I can't remember the name of the old recipe they use to make. It was native American I think. They rendered the fat of the animals to preserve that and mixed in jerked meat. That kept their fat intake up and avoided protein poisoning. I think they even mixed in nuts and berries as well. I haven't seen the new episode yet. The last show I saw cut out as he was drawing his bow after seeing the moose.
  12. Adkhunter1590

I thought he was building a smoker when he got back with the meat. That drying rack thing he made I can’t remember what he called it. But he should put walls and a roof on it and use it as a smoker if he’s smart. But your right, smoke the big chunks then get to slicing and jerk almost all of it and he should be able to hold out on that for quite awhile.
  13. Culvercreek hunt club

If you want to see if a Prime deal is really a deal , I have been told that wired.com is great to use.
  14. Culvercreek hunt club

Prime Day

Great deal, Love the tilt loading.
  15. Belo

Prime Day

Anybody find any good deals? FYI, this sausage stuffer is a heck of a deal if anyone is in the market https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011RN5QN4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  16. ApexerER

No Hijacking here.....I am happy to hear similar stories and thoughts..... I am not really sure how to feel about all of this to be honest. My daughter has been playing soccer since she was 5 almost year round. We dropped her off yesterday at Hamilton College for a soccer camp. She has no interest in trying another sport, although she did run track this spring as well as playing soccer. Watching her track meets/practice and then immediately run her off to soccer practice the second it was over was a lot. My feelings are all over the place. For those of you that keep talking about School ball (JV and Varsity) this travel league is way more competitive and interesting to her than school ball. School soccer is almost too easy as the school teams have two maybe 3 good players like my daughter per team. These competitive "select" teams are made up from those two or three good players from surrounding schools and they all play together. So it is way more important to her than JV or Varsity. She won't play on the varsity team at her school until most likely 11 and 12 grade no matter how good she is just because of the number of kids that play soccer and the size of the school. As a Dad, I don't know if I push her too hard, I don't know if push her hard enough....She is very athletic. To tell you how she is, she ran the falling leaves 5k last fall for the heck of it and won the race that a coupe hundred people had entered....mostly adults. I have no idea where she gets her athletic ability from, I played some sports when I was young but was never any good at any of them and dropped out of sports at the HS level and my wife never did any sports and isn't athletic at all. I don't know if I should push her harder, let her be, let her push herself. When you talk to the coaches, all they want you to say to your kids is, "I enjoyed watching you play today, what would you like for dinner". She wants to no part of that....she wants to know how she did, what she should have done better, the plays she screwed up on and if I don't tell her she knows I am full of crap. So I always start with you did this and that and it was awesome. You probably should have done this instead of that etc....and she takes it all in. In my opinion she needs too either decide this is just fun....and treat it as fun or she needs to decide this is super important and really go for it as Grampys grandson sounds like he is doing. I will support her either way. I am just glad she is out on the soccerfield and socializing with friends face to face because when she is home the only interest she seems to have is her damn phone and that drives me crazy....
  17. Adkhunter1590

Biz Truck

Lol nice. I’m not a big Chevy fan so I can’t remember how they went about lowering the SS’s but i would imagine they obviously would of designed it so that you still retained a decent amount of suspension travel. I’m sure they didn’t go cheap and chop it is what I’m tryin to say here lol. But ya no matter what you do it’s still gonna handle like a truck for the most part. Physics kinda trumps everyone’s hopes and dreams in this department lol.
  18. Culvercreek hunt club

I do mean to hang it and it would be the best option IMO. since they aren't really at freezing temps yet, I'd take the approach to get the large quarters and chunks into a smoke bath asap. That should keep the bacteria at bay long enough to slice and jerk the meat. That will really reduce the weight as well
  19. left field

I agree. A bear, a moose haunch and the guy, all in a bag would be better TV. If you mean hanging a few hundred pounds of meat, well, I think that may attract more than a few animals.
  20. Culvercreek hunt club

bear bag
  21. Culvercreek hunt club

If he is smart he will build a smoker and jerk it. That should preserve it fine, especially since cold temps are coming. I would jerk it and then rehydrate during cooking like in a soup.
  22. Got turnips in and blind set up, made wooden frame inside it as them damn poles collapse far to often. Especially with early snow. one plot left to work up and plant and I'm done for year...phew
  23. First-light

Won the U15 NYC Cup yesterday with her new team. We couldn't be happier! That's her second row on the left end.
  24. left field

I think he was smoking it. How effective that will be and how he fends off animals will be interesting. A hungry wolverine popping into the tent at midnight should be excellent TV.
  25. The biggest part of all this drive, is he feels there are WAY too many that are better than him, and he needs to catch up? And yes, there ARE some better than him, but not "too many" in his age group, as he compares himself to older kids? He is a really big kid for his age at 6'5 220+lbs and soon enough, some kids his age will be starting to catch up with him. Some are this year, weight wise! But no doubt his size advantage plays a big part in all this too. And for sure, some of the coaches (not school) and parents, gas these kids heads a little too much, as only one in a million of them will ever be pro athletes. But for the most part he's still VERY humble, and hard working. Always willing to help teammates, or help coaches with the younger kids coming up. He really enjoys that. Perhaps that will be his calling? Go to school to be a teacher/coach? IDK....maybe I'm just insecure about possibly losing my hunting buddy to athletics, and or growing up? And that is VERY selfish on my part!!! I'm pretty sure he'll make the time for his grampy. Seems like when I was 15, the biggest thing I looked forward to, was when I'd get my learners permit to drive......lol So much different for most kids now days........ My sincere apologies for hijacking this thread about ApexerER's wonderful daughter, and her soccer tryout. Having a talented athlete for a daughter, I'm hoping perhaps you can relate to some of this?? It did help to get some things off my chest.
  26. moog5050

Stupid question, but doesn't one need a lot of salt to preserve 800lbs of meat? Is that available to this guy? Good score regardless I just wonder how much of the meat will rot before it can be used. Or is it cold enough not to worry. Haven't really been watching.
  1. Load more activity