NY DEC: Deer harvest same as 2010, Bear harvest in Southern Zone at record levels.

HuntingNY

NY DEC:

As it stands now, deer harvest reports seem to be on par with last year at this time. We started out with reported deer take through mid-November running about 5% less than last year. Then reports during the first week of the Southern Zone regular season were slow, near 20% less than the opening week in 2010. But hunters did well Thanksgiving week, and currently reports are tracking very close to reported take in 2010. At this point, we are just tracking harvest reports and aren't yet calculating the total harvest. That will come after the January deer season closes on Long Island and after we review all the data from our field checks of harvested deer.

For bears, this season has shaped up to be quite different from last year, with preliminary harvests down in the Northern Zone but at record levels in the Southern Zone. Bear hunting was expanded into eastern New York this year, with the newly opened area spanning from Westchester County to Washington County. Hunters in the new areas have taken over 40 bears so far. Even without these additional bears, the preliminary take in southeastern New York (DEC Regions 3 and 4) looks like it could be one of the top harvests. In central and western New York (DEC Regions 7, 8, and 9), we're on track to top 300 bears, which will shatter the previous record of 189 bears taken in 2008.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

These reports on averages across the entire state really are kind of worthless in terms of indicating what the real situations are in any particular spot that we each might be hunting. The real data that might have some relevance to each of us is the harvest comparisons within each of our own individual hunting areas. What does this statewide report really tell us. Perhaps it tells us that some areas had dismal under-harvests while others may have had huge over-harvests. The result being that the averages look just about perfect and holding steady, but actually may not be correct anywhere .... lol. That's how averages often turn out. I'll withold any booing or cheering until I see the data that reflects the town by town harvest numbers. I'm not sure how much stock I put in any of it, but at least that will be information that is geographically relevant to where I hunt and information that I can compare to my own observations.

• Like 1

These numbers are BS and were tabulated years ago imo....... every yr...poor start but numebrs will stabilize....... blah blah......they do not know how many live in any given area and just guess at how many die or what gets the $$$$ form the insurance folks.....