Broken bone

wooly

I took this shot of a little spiker about 3 days ago...

CSC_0215_filtered.jpg

Todays cam check he showed up with a broken bone.

May be hard to see here, but when I blow it up his left antler is bloody and hanging down between his eye and ear. It looks swollen too.

Kinda wondering if it will fall off or keep growing like this.

PICT0010.jpg

so stupid question here . . . is the broken horn going to fall off when the velvet is lost?

And, will that side be deformed next year?

#1] I don't think it will fall off as long as it it still getting blood to it if it keeps growing he should keep it

#2] most likly it will keep growing the same each year .

Usually if injured on 1 side of the body, the opposite sides antlers get a little wacky. I know my Dad shot a few deer with 1 side typical and the other side non-typical. In all these cases, the deer had a bad scar/injury on the the opposite side.

See pic below. Zoom in on the deer on the left. The Deer's right side was a typical 4 point side. The left side has 3 points on the brow and 2 regular points. Also, you can't see but there was holes within that left side as well. This deer has a giant wound that was healed over on his right side. Might have been shot actually?

post-871-0-33329400-1340286946_thumb.jpg