Comparing the same deer almost a year later.

Fairgame

I have these two pics of the same deer. His body looks like it got bigger but his antlers do not look like they have changed. It also doesn't look like he is going to get much bigger in antler size cause the tips of his antlers do not have that bulb on them.

What do you guys think?

Will his antlers grow anymore or will he stay the same?

Nice body size deer with a small rack?

One is from July 1 2012

the other is from August 18 2011

post-33-0-31951000-1341766334_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-79357800-1341766603_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fairgame

He does have a nice body on him and i think he'll put a few more inches on him before he's done but what are you seeing that makes you think he's the same buck? He may very well be, but i'm just not seing any obvious markings to say for sure.

Dave

The reason i think he is the same deer is that in both pics its a seven pointer with a missing browtine on the same side. The other reason is the shape of the antlers, and another reason for believing this is the black tail on this buck. I'm not 100 percent sure but pretty confident that it is the same deer.

here is a pic of him on another trail earlier this year

post-33-0-68218900-1341788651_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately some bucks will never grow an exceptional rack... He looks to have gotten a bit more mass... just not any extra tine length.. that's assuming that it is the same deer. It's entirely possible that it isn't the same buck, might be a younger buck of the same gene pool. Hard to tell without distinguishing characteristics. Still a decent buck.

2year and 3 year old pics , they are pretty much done growing now 2nd - 3rd week of july they are starting to harden horns, same deer bad genes or bad nutrition, you need to know what your deer winter on and of food was available, the area your in may be different than a spot 10 miles down the road. if its one of your top bucks on camera consider him a shooter. waitig for a minimum in size you may never get is fustrating, we try to take a buck from the top 20% we have on camera and it works well.

IMHO, it's pretty much impossible to tell if that is in fact the same deer from those pics.

2year and 3 year old pics , they are pretty much done growing now 2nd - 3rd week of july they are starting to harden horns, same deer bad genes or bad nutrition, you need to know what your deer winter on and of food was available, the area your in may be different than a spot 10 miles down the road. if its one of your top bucks on camera consider him a shooter. waitig for a minimum in size you may never get is fustrating, we try to take a buck from the top 20% we have on camera and it works well.

Actually, the bucks are by now means done with their antler growth. Most have their mainframe number of tines but they have several weeks of development left in the tines and beams. Some will finish early while others will have noticable growth clear into August before they finish up. The antler hardening will begin in mid-August.

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

Young deer even if they are the same deer. If he lives 2 more yrs you will def. see what kind of potential he has.

I don't know if i agree with that. If they are the same deer then he is most likely a 3.5 yr old because last yrs pic certainly looks like a 2.5 . At 3.5 you should be getting a pretty good idea if this deer has potential to be a stud at 5yrs, and although i think he's a nice deer, he may just not have the genes to put on 20" of bone a year.

I know he isn't a big deer as far as antler size but body size I believe he should be around 200 pounds by season start. I'm almost 100 percent sure it's the same deer. He got a pass last year. Given the opportunity during season I will try taking him this year. Rattling antlers. I need a set

I don't know if i agree with that. If they are the same deer then he is most likely a 3.5 yr old because last yrs pic certainly looks like a 2.5 . At 3.5 you should be getting a pretty good idea if this deer has potential to be a stud at 5yrs, and although i think he's a nice deer, he may just not have the genes to put on 20" of bone a year.

I agree

I know he isn't a big deer as far as antler size but body size I believe he should be around 200 pounds by season start. I'm almost 100 percent sure it's the same deer. He got a pass last year. Given the opportunity during season I will try taking him this year. Rattling antlers. I need a set

Not sure about 200 lbs... he's got good size but not 200... even by season start... still not convinced it's the same deer.. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I'd bet not. Just not enough to tell me he's 3.5 regardless of antler size... if he is I'd be worried about food source in the area... even with poor genetics a buck that is 3.5 will usually sport some signs of a 3.5 year old. Still a handsome buck... he looks way too healthy to be having a nutrition problem so maybe he just is a late bloomer..lol

I haven't hung him from a scale yet, but I dont think too far off 200 pounds. I have shot deer there in the past that havent had a big rack but have had a nice body. In 2010 bow season I shot a buck with a live weight of 195 pounds.

post-33-0-05562600-1341889234.jpg

post-33-0-91598800-1341889249.jpg

Nice deer!! If your looking to put meat on the table pull the trigger on him and dont look back! If your looking to put bone on the wall give him time and he might suprise you. Ive read several stories of bucks that jumped from 100 right to 150's from 3.5 to 4.5 yrs so basically whatever makes you happy. But once you pull the trigger you will never know. :biggrin:

If we know for sure this deer is in his 3rd year and we can see he is not malnurished, do you think this deer can make a big jump in antler size in his 4th year?

In my opinion no, I could be wrong and I wont know unless he does live. I do hunt for bone, not only the meat. He isnt a deer I'm going to hang on the wall but I also wouldnt want him breeding more than he probably already has if its a genetic issue this deer has.

Its a decision that is going to be made based on emotion once in the field and the opportunity comes around and presents itself.

• Like 1