Sportsmen Strongly Support DEC adoption of Yearling Buck Protection

TheHunter

I am in more favor of bigger deer, not necessarily bigger antlers. The funny part is guys will pass up a spike then shoot a button buck put a dmp on it and think it is ok. if antler restrictions are implemented, ti should also pertain to button bucks. If they never get past the button stage, then never make it to spike or bigger. Just seems hypocritical to me.

Edited by bubba

I do not think this should be a state wide implementation and even if enacted people should be allowed to take any legal deer for food if it is justified. EX: anyone making less than 100K per household is allowed to shoot anything lega the 1st 2 years. This would still allow those who need deer for meat to get them and hopefully allow enough deer to reach the restrictions so in 2 years it would not be needed...

Am I the only one who feels bad after shooting an animal? No, I hope...

:popcorn3:

I like what you had to say. However we do need to address the meat hunter thing. I just got done with my venison tacos and eat venison most days and that has been for years. However, only 15% of the hunters get a buck so 85% are going with out meat from bucks. Just because you have a “greater need” due to economic circumstances for venison does not improve your likely hood of a buck harvest. Luck and harvest of bucks in Deer hunting is “randomly” distributed among hunters. We do know that it takes about 4 days of effort to harvest a deer. And lets fact it once you bone out a yearling buck it is not that much meat especially if you’re feeding a family. From an economic stand point hunting deer probably makes little sense. As to allowing anyone making under 100,000 to shoot what they want means every hunter would be able to shoot a deer so it would be no difference in the deer population.

I am in more favor of bigger deer, not necessarily bigger antlers. The funny part is guys will pass up a spike then shoot a button buck put a dmp on it and think it is ok. if antler restrictions are implemented, ti should also pertain to button bucks. If they never get past the button stage, then never make it to spike or bigger. Just seems hypocritical to me.

I think most buttons are shot by accident since they are not the easiest thing to identify.

I think most buttons are shot by accident since they are not the easiest thing to identify.

True that a button by himself is hard to identify... that is why early on this was addressed as part of the QDM concept back in the early 90's... the concept urged hunters not to shoot a lone antlerless deer, but rather wait for multiple deer and try to shoot the biggest. Buttons seldom travel with other deer and are loners after being shunned, so except in unusual cases, passing on lone antlerless deer helps to reduce the number of button bucks killed by accident.

True that a button by himself is hard to identify... that is why early on this was addressed as part of the QDM concept back in the early 90's... the concept urged hunters not to shoot a lone antlerless deer, but rather wait for multiple deer and try to shoot the biggest. Buttons seldom travel with other deer and are loners after being shunned, so except in unusual cases, passing on lone antlerless deer helps to reduce the number of button bucks killed by accident.

Good point.

Im hungry now talking about deer. My old man called me tonight and he made a venison meat sauce/ gravy for some pasta. Froze some, can't wait to try it!

I had venison for breakfast (sausage) and again after dinner (venison snack sticks). Cant wait to have more tomorrow lol.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Buckstopshere
      Here are a few of the ugliest bucks on my trail cams over the last few years. Which one is No. 1 ugliest buck in your opinion? Will they ever be great animals, ones that we dream about?

• By nyslowhand
      Interesting article in latest issue of NYON (11/25/16) about AR by one of this forum's member, Buckstopshere. Article, actually more of an editorial opinion is entitled "Making a point on antler restrictions". Buckstopshere, please correct me if I'm interpreting your opinion incorrectly!
      The crux of his opinion against any AR, mandatory or voluntary is that shooting younger bucks allows the 2+yo bucks to develop & grow at least another year. Very interesting concept which has some merit! Although the theory is somewhat counter-intuitive, culling the younger bucks to have bigger, mature bucks around your area. I've actually done this occasionally in the past if I've seen an overabundance of younger bucks on summertime trail cam photos or during bow season. Problem is, we all know exactly why we hunt, especially during the rut - those big, old bucks!! Not a lot of bow hunters would tag-out on a smaller buck and then sit out the rut or continue hunting with the antlerless/DMP tag only.
      I do agree with the author about mandated AR taking away the hunter's choice or options. Do NOT agree with his disdain for the DEC's campaign to educate hunters about voluntary passing on smaller bucks to allow older (2+yo) bucks to mature or develop more. This is actually something I suggested to the DEC when they were soliciting input about deer management. Basically to not impose statewide regulations with no regard for the hunter's choice of harvest. Also suggested they (DEC) educate the hunting community about doe and buck management and let the hunters decide and micro manage their specific locations. This education campaign is not a shaming ploy as the author suggests, merely an instructional tool.IMHO, it's more of a - harvest what you want, but just so you're aware shooting younger bucks might reduce the number of BBs eventually. But by all means, enjoy deer hunting as you would.
      Anyone else see this article? Agree with the author? Am I full of crap?
    • By adkbuck
      As expected some PA bucks have become quite resourceful in response to AR's. 

• By dhuntley2
      After all of this talk about ARs and how a state wide 3 pt rule might go into effect, I want to get opinions about this AR. First of all I want to say that I think the 3 pt rule makes no sense. It lets the superior 1.5 yr olds, ie 5 pts, 6pts, 7 pts and 8pts get shot.  And lets the spikes to 4 pts live.  This is my take, why not have an AR that you can shoot any buck that has a single point, ie a spike, 3 pt, or anything that has a single point on one side, or the buck has to have 4 pts or better on one side.  This lets the superior 1.5 year olds live and takes out the "junk" bucks.  This also lets all the "meat" hunters shoot the spikes. and lets a lot of 1.5 yr olds live.  I would much rather have this kind of restriction than a 3pt restriction.  Thoughts?
    • By TheHunter
      I remember this was a hot topic in the past, but lets keep it nice and clean :-*
      Antler Restrictions - What are your thoughts? Is it working? Do bucks that are spikes grow to be bigger bucks with bigger racks next year?