Here we go....

again getting ready to replant all plots...this is the first year I've lost nearly every plot and our garden....peppers I planted before memorial day...still 4 in. tall...

So I've sprayed the upper plot and will be starting over with a combo of GB radish...left over hemp and soybean seed and PT turnips....The dead clover will get turnip/Bonnar and raper seed and the big plot I'll be walking the same combo over...just waiting for a good rain to take place...let it soak in a bit and plant just before another good rain...hoping the spray down works quickly

I thought we had it bad until I went North of us.....every thing is brown the beans and corn look beyond stressed...lakes are down...Will be going out west and to the north of us this weekend for gatherings...see how things are out in those directions...We have a wet area that I call the pond spot...while cutting trees and cutting up tops yesterday I was able to walk to the center to cut up a top...first time ever I barely made a foot print...Start praying now for a mild winter....there doesn't seem to be much tonnage for the deer to eat right now and we've already have acorn persimmon ...and apple drop going on...Cherry is non existent May apples goose berry didn't make it and bramble are drying up...hope things are good where you all are

I only planted one plot so far. My garden is going great, but it gets watered every evening. Have had peppers cucumbers and cherry tomatoes and broccoli so far. Planted the weekend before memorial day. The corn field next to my property has stopped growing. My creek is dry and the swamp is pretty much sneaker area. We need rain bad. I am not going to plant until we do. Not gonna waste the seed and money.

Edited by bubba

Holding off all planting now till Late August. Planting anything here now would be a waist, without irrigation. Farmers around have planted plenty of soybeans, that the deer visit nightly. Corn is in that mid afternoon wilt stage, but looks pretty good. No dews.The second cutting hay is ankle tall and in blossom. Without the snow fall last winter, think it made it all the more dryer. Why are the summers getting dryer?

Question to you food-plotters; When, if ever do you reach a point of diminishing returns?

Doesn't the labor, time, equipment & overall investment ($$) ever get too overwhelming?

Forget the "Herd Mgmt" aspect!

Curious minds want to know...

Edited by nyslowhand

Question to you food-plotters; When, if ever do you reach a point of diminishing returns?

Doesn't the labor, time, equipment & overall investment ($$) ever get too overwhelming?

We touched on some of this on Doc's thread about food plots being too big. My take is this. Food plots can be expensive and the time and effort are substantial. But we currently have about 12 acres in perenials and another 10 or so set aside for annuals. Every year we evaluate how much money and time we have and what we want to achieve and go from there. Our goal is not hunting plots but year round food source so each spring we adjust as needed. The main thing is the results we see come hunting season. It is as much an enjoyment as hunting itself. The satisfaction of seeing big bucks is invaluable. We don't kill them every year but we do see them. Am i often overwhelmed? You bet. When it has only rained once in a month and time and money are short, you just try to prioritize things and move on. I encourage clients to make realistic goals and expectations. Don't bite off more then you can chew. Start with a managable plot and don't cut corners on the prep. If you enjoy it then expand your plans in the following years. Think of the long range not instant rewards..
  • Like 2

like dave has stated it's an added enjoyment to the overall hunting aspect. With that in mind, I do operate on a budget and all the habitat work and hunting is secondary to my family responsibilites. Some people spend money on vacations, I spend it on habitat improvements. I'm a land owner so all my work will be enjoyed by my kids and my brothers kids(i hope lol). But to get back to your question of diminishing returns...that depends on how you value that? I don't expect to kill a mature buck every year but expect to have the opportunity to and that's how I gage return on my habitat work. I can shoot a yearly 10 times over every year but Im looking to harvest mature deer. some years I wonder is it all worth it and honestly It is. I enjoy being on the tractor, dozer etc...I'm a man for christ sake lol.

• Like 1

Bulldozer, tractor, financially restrictive, labor intensive, 20+ acres and for big bucks as you both specified as your goal.

To each his own! Guess I'll sit in my tree & take what Mother Nature temps me with.

I'd be glad to give you your very own plot without the need to buy a single piece of equipment. LOL Thats why we started Tosch Consulting. For people that want to improve their hunting experience without taking on the costs and labor of the project. And plots are not only for big buck hunters. You seem to keep down playing the buck capabilities in your hunting area, but 8F is a very good buck region. Maybe your property is just not great at holding them. Sorry if this sounded like a un-paid ad.. Edited by dave6x6

For me... I enjoy working on and investing my property almost as much as sitting in the tree and harvesting a nice whitetail.

It can be very expensive, it is my main hobby. I can honestly say over the past 5 years of owning my farm and busting my tail I am seeing improved hunting... and I can say that based on trail cam pics, hunting observations, and harvest data.... plus the most important reason... I enjoy it.

• Like 2

I did my plot for the first time last year. It was very enjoyable to grow something, an see the deer eating it like crazy! It opened up a whole new...um hobby I guess. Good times. I only do a half acre, so I guess your post would not include me, but I will be doing more in the future. I do not have a huge herd of deer near me, so my plot was used until late winter last year (not much snow).

Planting, helping the deer out, geting trail cam pic's..Almost as fun as hunting!

nyslowhand,Food Plots. If I'm taking from nature, I'm dam well giving back. That is my return on investment. Each year just pumps me up more and more. Something to look forward to, when the winter snows flow. And now, October 1st Southern bow opener, my God, I'm in heaven. lol

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Got my last plot in before the leaves came out on the trees,nothing big on my property this one is about 50' x50' it is doing pretty good because there are enough large trees around it to shade it.This week I have been riding around in the woods and lifting or pulling out young trees and brush with the JD.As I rode past that plot on the way back to the house there was mom with her 2 young ones with spots still on them eating .Now you cannot tell me that the time and effort is not worth it,after seeing that.

I bought property in western NY about 10 years ago, The first 2 years I planted food plots (with an ATV), that really didn't work out too well.

The next 3 years, I paid a local farmer with a tractor....while this was better than an ATV, it still was a hit/miss endeavor. The last year I tried this, I planted too early I suppose, grass invaded the plot and all I had was a hayfield.

I had some success with the plantings, and some failures. The one year that the turnips took off, I had deer hitting the plot non-stop, day & night. Unfortunately, word got out, and everyone within 5 miles was either hunting my stands when I wasn't there or hunting the edge of my property. :nono:

I would guess if you had the money, time, and desire, you could make it work. Trying to manage this from 300 miles away isn't something I want to do any more. And the truth is, the deer will still be there to hunt when fall rolls around, food plots or not.

Slowhand, you say that the deer will be there food plots or not but do you really believe that? You posted up that picture of two really nice bucks and claim you have been chasing the one for 4 years, but he only shows up during the rut. You've been chalking that up to him being nocturnal but maybe he just has a better place to spend his time during the season. Maybe a place that offers him everything he needs like Food, security and water. He may only step into your woods when he needs to find a doe. Food plots are not a magic bullet but there is nothing wasteful about evaluating your deer property and figuring out it's strengths and weaknesses. And then going forward with steps to eliminate the weaknesses. If your style is to just show up and hunt on Oct. 1st , and hope for the best, thats you choice. It works just fine for alot of people. But some land owners and hunters want more then that.

Edited by dave6x6