Interesting Youth Season Spot on News

phade

I oppose this youth hunt and before everybody gets all emotional consider this ,

The Youth Deer hunt is set for a holiday weekend and it'll be the first weekend of turkey hunting in the fall . Guys in cano will be walking in and out of the woods. Same with archers and small game hunters, those hunters will be walking in and out of the woods in camo.

Not only that, the DEC is allowing buck or doe during the Youth hunt so they'll be very inexperienced hunters in the woods looking for anything that moves and they'll be hunters walking in the woods dressed in camo. Does it make any sense ??????

This youth hunt is nothing but an early season for dad who'll grab the gun and shoot his trophy buck. Parents were the ones who suggested a Youth Deer hunt. This wasn't a DEC thing. Naturally Dad wants this Youth hunt weekend so he can get first crack at the buck he's been seeing all summer.

Stop babying new hunters, either they like hunting or they don't. The excitment of opening day is more then enough to get young hunters interested. I was 12 years old in 1976 the first time I went deer hunting. It was 5 below zero the morning we got up to hunt in the Catskills near Livingston Manor. That morning I had to cross a stream with leaky boots and I had all the wrong clothing for that days hunt. But I look back and it was one of the most exciting days of my life.

Don't endanger our lives DEC to give dad and his son first crack at a deer. This hunt is for 14 and 15 year olds , what about 16 , 17, 18 year olds ? they get discouraged to.

This isn't only me, every archery group in the state opposes a youth hunt.

Found this on another site this is what its all about----- I nice a warm hunt to get them going, get friggin real

Once again another brilliant post from Skully. NOT It amazes me how you think, you come up with stuff that you are thinking and we in favor of the youth hunt are not. Sounds like to me you are the one with the selfish me thoughts and no one else. If you have any common sense you might want to wear some orange while walking around in the woods during hunting season to begin with dont you think? You amaze me with the things only you can think up. You think it is any different walking around in your full dress camo turkey hunting while small game hunters are in the woods? Oh wait I forgot you probably dont think birdshot or a 22 can hurt or kill you either right? Yeah you are correct us dads are a selfish bunch of a-holes who are going to grab the gun away from our own kids to ruin there day so we can get a deer before they do. My god get real the only one not making any sense is you.

Edited by wdswtr

Once again another brilliant post from Skully. NOT It amazes me how you think, you come up with stuff that you are thinking and we in favor of the youth hunt are not. Sounds like to me you are the one with the selfish me thoughts and no one else. If you have any common sense you might want to wear some orange while walking around in the woods during hunting season to begin with dont you think? You amaze me with the things only you can think up. You think it is any different walking around in your full dress camo turkey hunting while small game hunters are in the woods? Oh wait I forgot you probably dont think birdshot or a 22 can hurt or kill you either right? Yeah you are correct us dads are a selfish bunch of a-holes who are going to grab the gun away from our own kids to ruin there day so we can get a deer before they do. My god get real the only one not making any sense is you.

And once again you are total fool to think blaze orange can be seen more than 40 to 60 yds in the 1st week of oct in the forest and just a friggin idiot to compare birdshot or a 22 to a rifle

I think it's pretty foolish to pretend that young hunters being accompanied by an adult are any more dangerous than any other hunter. Actually, two sets of eyes, ears, and thought processes seems safer to me. Not to mention from what I have read the average person involved in a hunting accident is in their mid 30's.

The Youth Deer hunt is set for a holiday weekend and it'll be the first weekend of turkey hunting in the fall .

Is that true? Are they proposing to hold this special youth deer season on the first weekend of fall turkey? I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but if that is true, you really have to wonder how serious they are about this special season being attended by the kids. I guess there must be some silly reason why they decided to put it in the most competitive time of the year. between a bow season that is happening, and all the different small game hunting opportunities, and now the opening weekend of turkey season ...... could they have picked a more likely time for failure. I mean really, what the heck are they thinking? I have been suspecting that the whole thing is just a silly "feel-good" piece of window-dressing. I guess now if this is true, that kind of is the convincing last straw.

Is that true? Are they proposing to hold this special youth deer season on the first weekend of fall turkey? I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but if that is true, you really have to wonder how serious they are about this special season being attended by the kids. I guess there must be some silly reason why they decided to put it in the most competitive time of the year. between a bow season that is happening, and all the different small game hunting opportunities, and now the opening weekend of turkey season ...... could they have picked a more likely time for failure. I mean really, what the heck are they thinking? I have been suspecting that the whole thing is just a silly "feel-good" piece of window-dressing. I guess now if this is true, that kind of is the convincing last straw.

Thats an old exert from another site. Nothing has been announced

Thats an old exert from another site. Nothing has been announced

Well again as I said, I haven't checked the seasons yet, but I assume that opening weekend of turkey season is established by now. And I believe that somewhere I heard a pretty definitive proposed date for the youth deer hunt. The question is, do they coincide or not? if they do, it seems like the youth hunt has purposely been put in one of the most seasonally competitive times of the year when kids that are interested in hunting will be torn in about as many different directions as the DEC can arrange. If they don't, it still is one heck of a busy time for various hunting activities, not to mention that fall fishing is still going great in October.

Hunting season's and the dates they're held don't kill other hunter's, irresponsible hunter's kill other hunter's, To suggest that people are opposed to the youth season for any other reason then that it may screw up their bow hunting is ridiculous.

Edited by jjb4900

....To suggest that people are opposed to the youth season for any other reason then that it may screw up their bow hunting is ridiculous.

Lol .... I guess if you automatically rule out every opinion on this thread that doesn't agree with your thinking, I can see where you might arrive at that opinion. Hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but please read and try to understand the opinions of those that maybe don't quite align with your version. Try applying a bit of an open mind and maybe you might actually see where the opposition is coming from instead of trying to define it by decree.

ok, you're right on might take...and I respect you because you're probably one of then informed people who post. But, I still think that most opposition is based on personal ideals, I still think the one's opposed to it, base their argument on what they have to, to keep bow season a "bow" only season. Some argue it's a safety issue and some argue it's because a crossbow is not a "bow" (and I agree) and no other weapon should be allowed during the archery season...tough issue.....I just have a tough time with the safety argument, because if you look at the statistics of hunting accident's i'm pretty sure most accident's have occurred between people in the same hunting party and not by strangers.

But to tell you all the truth, they dont care, there is no fallback on this. Who cares if there is no youth hunt, the majority of people are against it. If there is a 14 or 15 yr old crying about this, then guess what, take them with you on opening day..............

I am so sick of hearing " look at the other states that have similiar programs" this is not ohio or iowa or etc etc this is NY state. We dont have trophy deer all over the place like those states do.

" you cant make this shit up"

Dont waste your time Doc, It is so transparent that the guy does not want his kids ruining his opening day so he needs the SPECIAL youth hunt to get them out of his hair. If that was not the truth these humps would not have complained so much about the youth hunt being sat and sun and moving the reg season to Mon. And remember what there excuse was, " It maybe to cold for them"

"you cant make this shit up"

Another guy who clearly wants to get his kids out of his hair and does not want to be bothered by them on opening day.

And if you are defending the youth hunt and it is all about the youth then why did the dec get such strong backlash when they wanted to make the youth hunt the 2 days before reg season? Not one person has answered that yet............. And please dont tell me because it might be cold on those days because we are still in hysterics about that one..........

That it is easier to kill a deer in october than it is the 2 days before reg season. Please dont tell me that is the reason because that has got to be just as funny as it may be to cold for them.

I hear you------- Jerry Sandusky with a firearm. I do not trust any mentors out there.

This youth hunt is nothing but an early season for dad who'll grab the gun and shoot his trophy buck. Parents were the ones who suggested a Youth Deer hunt. This wasn't a DEC thing. Naturally Dad wants this Youth hunt weekend so he can get first crack at the buck he's been seeing all summer.

Stop babying new hunters, either they like hunting or they don't.

Don't endanger our lives DEC to give dad and his son first crack at a deer. This hunt is for 14 and 15 year olds , what about 16 , 17, 18 year olds ? they get discouraged to.

This isn't only me, every archery group in the state opposes a youth hunt.

Found this on another site this is what its all about----- I nice a warm hunt to get them going, get friggin real

And once again you are total fool to think blaze orange can be seen more than 40 to 60 yds in the 1st week of oct in the forest and just a friggin idiot to compare birdshot or a 22 to a rifle

Yeah okay you are correct Im the fool! Great post with some great thought put into them, when you are willing to bring atleast a semi intelligent response to the youth hunt discussion I will adress them. Until then, you have fun entertaining yourself. :fuck:

Edited by wdswtr

Well , I agree with Skully on most of his post . Why wouldn't a father or mentor be willing to give up his hunt on opening day of regular gun season for his youth to hunt rather than the need for a youth season . Is it so Daddy wouldn't be deprived of taking a deer on opening day ? Are the fathers being selfish ?

I might find the Youth Hunt beneficial to my bow hunting as I hunt private property that is adjacent to land that is hunted by others . With people hunting with guns on those properties , they may spook deer my way .

So you guys agree just because we actually like spending time with our kids hunting and they are excited about this that it makes us bad parents and selfish and we are going to rip the gun out of their hands when the big one steps out or we dont want them in the woods ith us when we are hunting? Give me a break. The more I read from some of you I have to wonder what the heck makes you people come to these conclusions unless these are your own personal things you would do or think. I will pass up a chance on ANY deer in ANY season to help a kid get more involved. It makes me sick people even think this way. Sorry but some of us actually love our kids and love spending time with them. Nothing but pure false accusations towards us fathers. Selfish is what is far from our thoughts, and incase you guys didnt read they do go out on opening day, and any other day they ask to come along. As a parent there is a bigger reward in seeing your child be succesful than yourself. It really amazes me how some of you hunters think and this is the problem in a nutshell. Trying to twist your dislike about a youth hunt and turn it into a father being selfish who actually support their kids and hunting activities is a cop out excuse for how you really feel but wont say Im thinking. Why not just say you dont want other peoples kids in the woods during your time in the woods, and that it will mess up your hunt, or they might shoot your deer? See a mentor isnt about me me me its about them them them.

Edited by wdswtr

I said from the beginning it does not matter to me either way. But it seems to me that the way your acting and your nonsense statements has me believing you are the one being selfish. I am starting to agree with the other side of the coin " take your kids with you, you dont need a special weekend" . I am starting to think lowering the age all together makes more sense. I find it also after talking to 16 yr olds and 17 year olds a little BS that this works against them bigtime.

Your indignation is noted .... lol. However, I would say that to any rule, there may be an exception, but let's face it, there has to be some truth to the thought that the large percentage of the fathers do not take their kids out during regular season and perhaps the motives for that have been accurately figured out.

I keep coming back to this same unanswered question, "where are all these mentors going to be coming from for the special season if we can't even get people to take kids out during regular season". Can anyone answer that simple question? Is there something about a special youth season that's going to force parents, friends and neighbors to do the responsible thing? I don't think so.

Could it be that many hope that someone will take their kids out hunting if a special season is formed, and eliminate the need for them to have to be burdened during their own prized hunting hours. I mean, to listen to all the people climbing aboard the "special season" bandwagon, one has to wonder why we have a youth recruitment problem now. If a significant number of the people calling for a youth hunt would simply take a kid out during regular season, I would guess that there would be no problem (hence no need for the special season) .... right? The fact that it is not happening has to make one suspect the worst in motives and I can't blame anyone for coming to the conclusions that we've seen in this thread. Is all the noise about special youth seasons just a diversion to cover the fact that we are not doing our part and really don't intend to?

Apparently anyone who disagrees with wtswtr is selfish . Well , let the selfish Dads take their kids out opening day of regular gun season and see the real world . But then Dad might have to pass up the buck of a lifetime .

It doesn't affect me either . I have not come across any squirrel , bird , etc hunters when bow hunting . If I did they would have to have trespassed to get onto the property .

• Like 1

The term being "selfish", can be applied to both sides of the argument, I'm all for the youth season, that makes me selfish for wanting my son to have an advantage over others for allowing him to have a shot at a deer before the regular season opens, those that oppose it are selfish for not wanting an interferance in the bow season. I take my son out with me as often possible and when school allows. I still don't agree with the safety issue. the only legitamate reason people want or don't want it is for personal reason's.....much like antler restrictions.

You guys are not understanding what I am saying I think. When Skully comes on here and starts saying crap like Im selfish, I want the deer all to me, I dont want my kids in the woods with me, is plain and simple wrong. Those thoughts have not will not and never have gone through my head. Thats is my point. Dont make accusations that are untrue. Pretty simple. You can agree with his stance on no youth hunt and that is perfectly in your right to do so, you agree with him spewing crap about fathers being selfish and dont want to be in the woods with their kids on opening day or any other for that matter is just not right its a bold guess as to there true intentions. You Skully cant speak for my beliefs and my involvment with my kids. You have zero clue on that aspect. So that makes me a "baffoon" because I know your accusations against me are wrong? Hence the reason I said bring a semi intelligent response. I have yet to see one from you other than plain accusations against someone in favor of the youth hunt. This whole thread had a great discussion going and alot of respectful points made until you came in with the troll responses. Anyone and everyone has a right to disagree with me Fasteddie, perfectly acceptable and no it doesnt make them selfish, it brings a new point to the discussion or maybe an old one. Doc has brought up alot of great points, alot of diverse solutions, some I agree with some I dont. It sure doesnt make him selfish for pointing out his ideas and opinions. The thing that really gets me is out of the number of hunters in woods and the number of people saying they are against the youth hunt, versus the numbers that showed up to the public meetings or the amount of feedback DEC received. Why bitch about it after the fact, why did hunters not make their opinions heard if there is such a strong negative feedback as suggested? I dont get it, bitch and banter after instead of voicing when it was asked.

Your indignation is noted .... lol. However, I would say that to any rule, there may be an exception, but let's face it, there has to be some truth to the thought that the large percentage of the fathers do not take their kids out during regular season and perhaps the motives for that have been accurately figured out.

This very well could be the case, but I can only speak on behalf of myself and the people I personally know. The ones including myself that do have children do indeed take their kids out with them. And yes even opening day of gun. Until an accurate poll has been taken of fathers with honesty and accuracy we have no idea if its large or small percentage.

I keep coming back to this same unanswered question, "where are all these mentors going to be coming from for the special season if we can't even get people to take kids out during regular season". Can anyone answer that simple question? Is there something about a special youth season that's going to force parents, friends and neighbors to do the responsible thing? I don't think so.

I cant answer a question I dont have an answer for. But lets face it the decline in hunters number is showing that there is a lack of interest or involvment. Up to this point there has been little done on a statewide basis of getting youth hunters involved. Yes NYB has done some good in that aspect but its not enough. Unfortunately either parents or kids just lack the desire. Sad from a hunters standpoint. I dont think its a matter of force, I think its an attempt to raise some excitement with the kids. If the kids show a positive response to a youth hunt maybe it will get more parents involved. No one knows the end result unless it happens.

Could it be that many hope that someone will take their kids out hunting if a special season is formed, and eliminate the need for them to have to be burdened during their own prized hunting hours. I mean, to listen to all the people climbing aboard the "special season" bandwagon, one has to wonder why we have a youth recruitment problem now. If a significant number of the people calling for a youth hunt would simply take a kid out during regular season, I would guess that there would be no problem (hence no need for the special season) .... right? The fact that it is not happening has to make one suspect the worst in motives and I can't blame anyone for coming to the conclusions that we've seen in this thread. Is all the noise about special youth seasons just a diversion to cover the fact that we are not doing our part and really don't intend to?

I dont think its a hope someone else will take my kids out at all. I think its an attempt on the DEC part to get youths themself involved by making it something special for them. Yes its pathetic in my opinion that we have a generation that needs that special feeling to be part of a great heritage in this state. But if its not adressesd some how or alteast a start to something that changes can be based off of we will continue to see a decline. Another thought of what I see as a potential problem on a mentor aspect is liability. I would have to think the thought of Im am responsible for the neighbors kids and the liability of them getting hurt or worse falls into there hands has to weigh on people decisions as well. The motives behind being pro youth hunt on my part and others I know have zero motivations of redirecting our responsibility and pure enjoyment of being with our children. I would not call taking a kid hunting a burden. If that is the case and intentions of any pro youth hunt people then shame on them. A couple other things come to mid as well. I have read no regualtions on not being able to still bowhunt as an adult during the special youth hunt. If the youth hunt is already been deemed a failure by some it would seem the worry of youths in the woods at the same time as bow hunters, turkey hunters and small game hunters would be pretty minimal. Like it or dislike it the numbers in other states proves it not being a failure. Was the chosen date the most ideal? Probably not, but I already said I would of rather seen a youth bowhunt or a youth gun hunt in proper seasons. I have my reasons and some feedback on why I think that weekend was chosen but I wont get into that one. My pure intentions and reasoning is to get more youths in the woods. If this is a small step in any direction why is it so wrong? The first step can lead to many better changes to recruitment. We have to start somewhere, the numbers show the past no longer works.

My 2 sons that hunt didn't get into deer hunting until they were in their 20's . One didn't have the time . The other hadn't been interested . Slowly they got into it and now on a regular basis .

I have taken a couple boys ( at different times ) hunting on opening day of gun season . One shot a doe . The other missed a forkhorn . They saw deer and were happy . Once the shooting started , they saw plenty of deer and were very excited . One of the things that allowed them to see many deer is the fact that it was opening day and more hunters were out . I carried my shotgun but never shot while either was with me . I showed and explained how to gut a deer to the boy who shot the doe as I had never been taught and struggled through my 1st two field dressings . The boys fathers didn't hunt . As far as I know , those 2 still deer hunt as well as other hunting and I had lost contact with them .

I had taken another teenager hunting who is the son of a close friend who doesn't hunt . My son invited him up to his camp and Jeff has gotten deer there . NYslowhand has allowed this lad to hunt his property in Sodus and Jeff has lucked out .

All the above started out with regular gun season and didn't need something "special" for an advantage .

Personally , I don't think there needs to be a special youth season but if and when it happens , so be it . I think a lot of the kids are growing up to be spoiled wimps !

• Like 1

I think it's pretty foolish to pretend that young hunters being accompanied by an adult are any more dangerous than any other hunter. Actually, two sets of eyes, ears, and thought processes seems safer to me. Not to mention from what I have read the average person involved in a hunting accident is in their mid 30's.

statistically the youth are the safest hunters. It is the group between 30 and 50 that are involved in most hunting incidents. They become careless and are lore likely to break the law which makes the incident more likely. You can find this information in the dec website.

I just read a commentary in the Out door news about the whole youth hunt it brought up some pretty good points...It wasn't really for or against...just mentioned "issues" with the timing...ie a first time hunter dealing with field dressing a deer in warm weather...not as if you can take your time doing so....processors not being geared up so earliy for a rush of unprepared hunters...just trying to find a cooler to hang a deer in...now I've dressed out more than a few bow kills in 60 degree weather and battling fly's and keeping every thing clean covered and cooled off fast enough is NOT A PLEASANT EXPERIENCE...no time for a relaxed lesson in gutting...lots of pics and high fives...I see the possibility of some very turned off kids once the shot is over....