Proposal to extend the time period for harvest reporting

This is from the NY Big Game Mailing List:

DEC is proposing changes to regulations that would extend the mandatory reporting period for a harvested deer, bear or wild turkey from 48 hours to 7 days. Many hunters hunt in remote areas that lack cell phone coverage or internet access or both, and they often stay in those locations for a week or more during the hunting season. The purpose of these changes is to provide greater flexibility for reporting the harvest of these species, while continuing to mandate those reports to enable the accurate compilation of annual take. 

The proposal also removes the reporting requirement for beaver and coyote.  Instead, hunters and trappers will be surveyed to estimate harvest of these species.  Additionally, the proposal modifies migratory game bird hunting regulations to conform to recent changes in law. To review the text of the proposed regulations, read the regulatory impact statement, and find out how to submit comments, please see www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/34113.html#part2sec230 Comments will be accepted through October 4, 2010.  Please do not reply to this email to submit comments. Jeremy HurstBig Game Biologist

The only problem I have had with reporting is getting through or not be sure if my call was taken / verified . I have had to call a few times to get a tag reported . I wonder how many folks give up after the 1st try .

One thing that would really improve the system would be if the recording (computer) would repeat back the info that you just gave it as a verification that everything did indeed go through and was interpreted correctly. That could be followed up by a yes or no response from the hunter. I have used other automated systems that do this and it does serve as a second chance to correct info that was erroneously interpreted by the computer.

I guess I really don't understand what the big hurry is for reporting kills. Why do they have a 48 hour deadline right now. I'm not even sure why they would make it a 7 day deadline. Frankly, I would set the deadline at the end of the season. Nobody uses the info prior to then anyway. In fact, with their reliance on their "calculated harvest reporting rate" I would think that harvest reporting deadlines would be the least of their concerns.

Doc

They actually eliminated coyote reporting a couple of years ago.  DEC does not want a year round coyote season because it considers coyotes a "resource." As long as they are a resource, they have to be allowed a respite in whelping season.

The reason for rapid reporting is that if for some reason there is a sudden change in the take, they may have to close a season early to meet objectives.  That doesn't apply so much to something like deer, where a lot are taken, but with scarcer resources--say bobcat--DEC has to make sure nothing results in overharvesting befiore its too late.

Well, good ol' cynical me has a neat "conspiracy theory" kind of thought as to why they might want to maintain some control on coyote harvests. It just might be that they are looking down the road a bit and are taking note of the constantly shrinking hunter base, and just might be interested in alternative deer population control aids through predation. Yeah that might be reaching a bit, but who knows?

More likely it is like Emily says. They are a fur-bearer and therefore a financial resource that needs to be managed, not eliminated. I know as deer hunters we have a different viewpoint on that ..... lol. But I have been a trapper, and I understand the value of having an additional species to supply income.

Doc

I guess its so people don't forget to do it.... If you wait till the end of the season, most people may not remember to do it?

Good point! Perhaps the data may improve. In any event I believe it is not enough, Any responsible hunter will report their kills!!!!!

• 1 year later...