Bats in...

growalot

the house...fun nite ...6:30 dinner on grill I sit to watch news ...glance up where ceiling an pine paneling meet...Damn big dark spot great a leak....So I get up to check ..no lights on and the leak squeaks at me!!...long short...catch it..way too easy...dispatch and double bag...just got back from county health and I'm not the only one ....so the bats are being sent out today...will know whether we need shots on Weds...no sleep most of night....on way home hit the bank for home fix up loan papers....just the push Mr B needed lol...Mr brown Bat did not die in vain...lol...PS...he'd been in the house possible 2 days...that's when I found a bite on Angels muzzle...I thought a chipmunk may have made...now not so sure...her shots still good ..but if test come back pos. she'll get a booster as well...By the way...rubber corn and blackened chicken was on the menu last nite...lol

Edited by growalot

he'd been in the house possible 2 days...that's when I found a bite on Angels muzzle...I thought a chipmunk may have made...now not so sure..

Paula ...no protocol is if a bat is in your living quarters...it should be caught and tested..which kills them any ways....Our dog may have been bitten two days ago and to be honest we don't know if we were bitten...not always felt and for me ...I have so many punctures ...scratches and digs ...it's too difficult to see.../.

We had a neighbor that woke to fluttering in the bedroom...wake to find a bat caught in curtains ...they killed it...thoroughly checked her and found a bite ...she never felt...the bat was rabid...they got the shot(stomach) and she had a bad reaction and ended up in the hospital....So I'd rather not get the shots and I'm praying he tests negative

Edited by growalot

I'm sure you'll be fine brings back so many memories. My family had been camping in a cabin for a few days, we would fish all day and only go back to the cabin for sleep and meals. One night, around 2 or clock I heard wings fluttering against a screen above my head. It had been so hot I opted to sleep in the screened in porch. I hit the screen to scare what was making the noise away and it worked. A few minutes later I heard the same noise grabbed my glasses and stood up to to see if the insect was on the outside of the screen and to scare whatever it was away. In the darkness I saw what I had thought to be a giant moth on the inside so I ran into the kitchen to grab a flyswatter...I was going to kill this thing.

I turned on the light to find a bat flying straight at me, I hit the dirt and crawled to my parent room while this crazy thing is flying overhead. I tell them that I'm pretty sure there's a bat in the cabin. Of course I started to second guess my eyes and started to wonder if maybe I had awoke in the middle of a dream as the bat hunt had proven unsuccessful with the lights on and both my mother and father looking.They told me to go back to bed and I replied fine as long as I sleep in this bedroom and dad gets the screened in- porch.

Being the brave man he is, he grabbed a flashlight and stumbled into my previous sleeping quarters. I turned the lights and a few minutes later i am blinded by a flashlight that's flashing and lighting up the living room. I hear Son of A bi*** he was right.. its a bat! I run to close the door to keep the bat contained within the living room, which in turn traps my dad in the room with the bat that's flying into windows doing anything to escape. I let my dad in and now its the three of us trapped in a bedroom with my sister and her friend in another adjoining bedroom wondering what all the commotion is all about.

It turns out my mother that works for a Heath department is the route of our fears as she was always bringing home the" if you see me" rabies stickers in the shape of a bat.We call the park ranger and explain the predicament we are involved in.My father and I make the courageous journey out of the bedroom and out of the cabin to meet the ranger. A few minutes pass and he comes armed to the hilt with 2 tennis rackets, a headlamp, and a bag to catch the illusive critter. We reenter the cabin, my father and the ranger armed with tennis rackets and me with my trout fishing net. The ranger was convinced we needed to catch it so it could be tested for rabies.

Upon entering we find nothing, so I was told to shut of the main living room light and then quickly turn it back on if we heard fluttering of the wings.Upon a complete walk through we find nothing. That is until the ranger taps a wall with his racket and we all hear a scream or what ever bats do.The ranger leaves and returns with a pry bar, Board by board the ranger peels back hoping the bat decides to come out. On the second to last board of about ten, finally the bat finally takes flight. I was ordered to turn off the light so the bat would calm down.

For a few minutes we sat in the darkness without hearing anything. Until the ranger shouts that something had flown passed him. I hurriedly flipped on the living room light find the hideous bat completing figure 8's in the living room. The first swing of the tennis racket by the ranger takes out the only ceiling light in the cabin. We are left in total darkness with to idiots swinging at sounds and feeling of passing wind. Once again I hit the dirt and located a decent flashlight which I used to illuminate the bats last flight. The ranger swings and hits the bat perfectly....right into my father. The two men are screaming as if they have just encountered a bear or deadly snake. The ranger puts the bat in the bag, and returned the following morning to fix the light bulb and boards above the fireplace. The rest of the night was used to clean broken shards of glass that now had encompassed nearly all of the cabin.

Good luck, Growie..

Hope you don't need the shots..

However, if you DO ,they are not nearly as bad as they used to be.

A friend of mine had the series last year when he attempted to rescue a cat with a can stuck on it's head..He removed the can, the cat bit him and ran off..

He had the series...No big deal..Nothing like it used to be with multiple shots in the stomach..

Growie...Please excuse me, because I don't want to hijack your thread, but this reminds of an anecdote..

Years ago there used to be a popular "watering hole" in Addison named THE RITZ CAFE...

There was no air conditioning in The Ritz, so on hot summer nights they used to keep the front door open to Main Street, which is lined with streetlights.

The bats would swoop around the streetlights to eat the bugs, and often one would end up fluttering around inside the Ritz.

The bartender would hand out tennis rackets to several of the patrons, and the menace was soon taken care of..

Often, the next morning there would be half a dozen dead bats lying by the curb in front of The Ritz.

Just a little taste of "Americana" Steuben County style...

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

If you have an attic or a void of any sort above the interior ceiling of the house I would close up any interior holes but leave a couple of exterior holes open. You may have more bats. a maternal colony(could be many) may live there and the young ones may not be ready to fly yet. Wait till the fall then if you figure out the location they are exiting and entering from outside you can put a devise (exclusionary devise )over the area so bats can leave but not return. Then when all have gone close up the hole. Doing so now wont work if there are pups(baby bats) that cant fly. Check outside dusk and dawn to see if they are coming and going. Just a little info.

Or hire a nuisance person that deals with bats.

Edited by dave7114

Thanks Dave...we went through all that a couple of years ago...put SS hard wear cloth up over the end gable vents...I believe he made it into the house through a door gap on our kitchen screen door...when I fell a sleep in the living room...We usually make sure the big door is closed before dark...That has been fixed...also found a 4 inch gash in one of the window screen from when I baby sat our daughters dog two weeks ago...that s been fixed as well...all they need is and opening the size of a nickle to gain entry

Funny I just had to close up a hole in the eve of the cabin. Out came two bats Friday night as we sat by the camp fire. Small opening where two boards meet. Of course it was at the top of the peak and was difficult to fix.

Got it done, hopefully they are gone. What do bats do in the winter time? Do they still stay in the area they were in all summer??