Scentlok lawsuit in Field and Stream article

UpStateRedNeck

Did anyone else see that article in Field and Stream about the lawsuit against Scentlok?  It really made me shake my head.  Did you honestly believe it would eliminate all of your human odor?  Class action lawsuit is a bit much, but at least it's getting some publicity to people who believe it helps a great deal. 

The interesting part though to me was that an expert, whom I guess was employed by Scentlok, stated under oath that that it was "Not Very Effective" in eliminating BO/microbial smell that the deer actually smell.

The lawsuit has been going on for some time. It has to do with Scent Lok's claims of total scent control, etc. Technically, it is false advertising, or at least thats what the lawsuit says. Its not a good thing for that company and I would be surprised if they dont either get bought out or go out of business down the road because of it.

It's about time that somebody tried to make these people responsible for misleading claims. I get mighty darn tired of being lied to by marketeers who have about as much integrity as your average burglar. I have heard youngsters that are new to the hunting and fishing community parroting back some of the ridiculous claims that are spewed on TV and the printed media and I absolutely hate the fact that these hucksters are out there trying to victimize these young people and others who may be new to the sport.

I know that they will barely be able to feel any penalty that may come out of this, but at least somebody has the guts to fight back against this constant barrage of lies and deceit that these manufacturers and their marketing lackeys lay out there on a daily basis. Enough is enough.

Doc

Bestul: Scent Lok Found Guilty of False Advertising | Field & Stream  Also named in the suit were Cabela's Wholesale, Cabela's Inc., ... May 17, 2010. Bestul: Scent Lok Found Guilty of False Advertising ..... They sued because Scent Lok was breaking the law with their false advertisement. ...

www.fieldandstream.com/.../2010/.../bestul-scent-lok-found-guilty-false-advertising - Cached    I hope anyone who purchased Scent Lok apparel saved their receipt!

Doewhacker are you telling me that Santa is not real :(

No I never bought into that Scentlok stuff. It was too expensive for me and nothing is truly scent free.

no no he is real but his bank account is going to be getting low soon and he needs donations. If you want you can send to me and I will hand deliver them. :)

Why do they charge so damn much for the stuff anyway, maybe to help pay the lawyer bills? My wife found this really nice fleece lady's jacket last week at Kittery Trading post, I was all for it untill I saw it was $180..

I have a Scent Lok getup, the only reason is that I got it on after season clearance sale at Dicks. The pants, jacket and hat/facemask cost me $70 total. I got a pair of the socks and gloves as Christmas gifts. Im not one to buy into the marketing of it will completely stop scent, but it cant hurt and it didnt cost any more than non-Scent Lok hunting clothes would have.

I have insulated camo pants and hooded jacket that I bought after season too. They have scentlock incorporated in them. I would have bought them even if they didn't...the price was great. I can't say I see a difference in normal hunting clothes that are handled correctly to control scent.

I was my stuff in baking soda.... no detergents. Hang dry (because I think the dryer hold the dryer sheet scent) and store in a rubbermaid bin with either pine or cedar boughs....or apples on the bottom....just watch when they get juicey....rubber boots when bow hunting.

Then I wear them into a greasey spoon diner for breakfast and climb into my stand and have a few cigarettes...LOL...just kidding on that.

DOE----Kettery TP is my alltime favorite store...love that place!!!

....Then I wear them into a greasey spoon diner for breakfast and climb into my stand and have a few cigarettes...LOL...just kidding on that.

DOE----Kettery TP is my alltime favorite store...love that place!!!

Don't forget to get gas in the truck too! haha

It was my first time at KTP, they have LOTS of guns, and good prices on some stuff, like left handed bows. Cool store.

It's about time that somebody tried to make these people responsible for misleading claims. I get mighty darn tired of being lied to by marketeers who have about as much integrity as your average burglar. I have heard youngsters that are new to the hunting and fishing community parroting back some of the ridiculous claims that are spewed on TV and the printed media and I absolutely hate the fact that these hucksters are out there trying to victimize these young people and others who may be new to the sport.

I know that they will barely be able to feel any penalty that may come out of this, but at least somebody has the guts to fight back against this constant barrage of lies and deceit that these manufacturers and their marketing lackeys lay out there on a daily basis. Enough is enough.

Doc

Doc,

In reality, we have no one to blame but ourselves when it comes to believing in the claims put forth by companies such as Scent-Lok. We have allowed ourselves to be brainwashed by the advertisers and their "lackeys" (refer to all the outdoor shows) who promote such products.

Such advertising claims feed on many hunters obsession to be successful and at any cost.

Its a pity!

Doc,

In reality, we have no one to blame but ourselves when it comes to believing in the claims put forth by companies such as Scent-Lok. We have allowed ourselves to be brainwashed by the advertisers and their "lackeys" (refer to all the outdoor shows) who promote such products.

Such advertising claims feed on many hunters obsession to be successful and at any cost.

Its a pity!

I agree that hunters who have been around a while and have had a chance to assess the real power of the deer's sense of smell probably should not be sympathized with if they swallowed the Scent-Lok lies, but I am also aware that every year there is a new crop of hunters, many that don't have a clue as to what is a reasonable claim. I have heard some of them parroting back the marketing claims and they were prepared to part with some pretty hard earned cash based on those claims. That just ain't right. Of course, Scent-Lok is just the tip of the iceberg when it come to misleading statements or downright lies. It's become a regular practice in all of industry and especially in the field of hunting and fishing products. It has gotten to the point where you can't believe anything they have to say. That ain't right either and reflects badly on those manufacturers who really have come up with some worthwhile products and can't achieve credibility because of the perpetual liars hawking their bogus products. I applaud this law suit. Whether it will actually do any good or not, only time will tell.

Doc