Hunting??...Or, Not.....??

Early

If, during the deer season this Fall, you enoounter a person dressed in full camo...complete with face paint...and carrying an AR or some form of AK "black" weapon (notice, I said "weapon"), along with a "tactical knife" and an assortment of "tactical gear" hanging from his tactical belt.....Is he hunting??....Or, playing solja?? My guess is "Solja"; when you see him...run like hell in the opposite direction. These "tactical boys" may turn the safe sport of hunting into a game of GI Joe, and you will not be safe anywhere near them!

Of course they will argue that they are legite...(watch for replies here)...They are real hunters....Yeah right!

Hunting is a traditional sport,

Early

They can dress however they want and carry whatever gear they choose, as long as it is legal.

Why is this suddenly an issue ?

Black rifles and " Solja" type gear have been legal ( and available) for many years in many areas of NY plus dozens of other states for years...

RAMBO type movies have been around for many years also..I don't see why there should be a big increase in "tactical' type gear at this point in time.. Nor does it bother me should it increase..

I'm a traditional type guy..I wore out a couple of red&black checked woolrich coats before I started wearing orange...I like walnut and blued steel, but if Joe Deerhunter down the road wants to hunt with his AR-15 or AK 47 ( equipped with the legally required 5 shot mag, of course) that is his perogative. Hunters have been using semi-auto rifles for over 100 years, like the Rem Model 8 ....The "8" stands for 1908....

• Like 1

Strange thread ..... I guess I am not one to jump to any conclusions based on what a hunter is carrying. There's a lot of guys packing equipment that I myself may not prefer to use for any of a number of reasons. So what?

Now if they were running through the woods dressed in a loin-cloth and armed only with a knife clenched between their teeth, I might get a bit concerned ..... lol.

We certainly do struggle sometimes just to find reasons to bash hunters don't we?

• Like 1

I ran into a guy just like this years ago during gun season (deer). Head to toe camo, face painted and a big a$$ K-bar stuck in his, army type, boot. Even his shotgun was camo. Orange wasn't a requirement then so he was legal. My thought is that this guy was a power tool, and should wear some orange, but if he wants to go Rambo...whatever.

I can see this running into a bo thread. I went on a motorcycle poker run yesterday well over 200 bikes. There was a guy in a pair of shorts and sandals riding a very nice harley. There were kids in shorts in crotch rockets wearing just shorts passing everyone jumping in and out of formation. There were also guys wearing colors in leather head to toe and looked like they were not friends with a shower. I guess I am saying it takes all kinds. Just because a guy is in camo head to toe and carrying a firearm we do not choose to use, does not make him a bad hunter. We should examine ourselves a little before we make these posts. Or we should stop trying to bait people to see if we can get the longest bash thread record.

• Like 4

That "Solja" you encounter may just be ex military and that is the garb he feels comfortable in... I know tons of hunters that dress way differently than me in the woods... never judge a book by it's cover. I wear a ghillie suit when bow hunting... I look like a walking bush (not George Bush) for crying out loud... but I'm not some kind of sniper with any paramilitary group!! HMMM... I would say that you seem to be "profiling" hunters... I thought you liberal types were against that kinda stuff?

Explain, please.......??? How does my being a traditionalist make me an idiot? Your unsubstantiated comment makes you a ............... Well, I think you know!

Question: Are you an AR, Play Soldier type of hunter?

The age range of my small hunting fraternity is 60 - 80. Not one among us would go into the deer woods with a guy dressed in full camo and toting any of the black, tactical weapons. And, if/when we encounter such a character...we turn and go the othe way, fast!

The image of hunters in America is tarnished enough by outside comments/criticism. We do not need to add to that negative image by going hunting dressed/looking like GI Joe.

Its not your preference in firearms that makes you an idiot, its your painting of people with other preferences with such a broad, ignorant brush that makes you an idiot.

Just because Im a hunter, doesnt mean I cant or dont like ARs or other "tactical" platforms. Being a hunter doesnt mean I have to carry a walnut and blued, traditional deer rifle. Just because I use an AR for hunting, doesnt mean Im a wanna be soldier type.

The worst kind of tarnished image we get as hunters is from people that post stupid threads like this one. You do a disservice to our whole sport and community with this kind of ignorant nonsense.

this isn't sarcasm...though I'm know for that.. :P but would it bother you less if they looked like that,but also wore an orange hat...vest?

Personally havIng AN OPINION WHETHER VIEWED OFF THE WALL BY INDIVIDUALS OR NOT...DOESN'T MAKE YOU AN IDIOT...oppss cap loc...not going back to change it...

I have a question for you EARLY...........

If, during the deer season this Fall, you encounter a BLACK person dressed in full camo...complete with face paint...and carrying an AR or some form of AK "black" weapon (notice, I said "weapon"), along with a "tactical knife" and an assortment of "tactical gear" hanging from his tactical belt.....Is he hunting??....Or, playing solja?? My guess is "Solja"; when you see him...run like hell in the opposite direction. These "tactical boys" may turn the safe sport of hunting into a game of GI Joe, and you will not be safe anywhere near them!

Would this make you a racist because the guy is black now?

• Like 1

woah woah woah! listen my friend dirt_a_kiss hunts traditionalm, me im the idiot who dont know what to do. Yea id like an AR15 and yes I have combat boots but im not fricvken GI JOE i find the boots comfortable and very very mobile.im looking eith in getting a back back or a chest rig but nothing too GI JOE but does this mean iod be the retard re inacting vietnam.....No and so what if an ex military guy uses tactical to hunt if he was in the service from bombs blowing up everywhere to peace quiet tranqulity and gunshots in the woods thts as dramatic diifference so i could see why he would not wanna change. but hey we all have different viewpoints on the matter but if we all were the same this forum wouldnt exist

and I plea my case........................THE NON GI JOE HUNTER

I dont believe the idiot refernce was not pointed at this thread in general. Its the combination of all Early's thread that point in that direction. You know like the thread Early says if you dont like the president your a racist. Hence the reason for my last post in this thread because.

Edited by wdswtr