Turkey decoy for Deer ?

fasteddie

Deer and turkeys eat the same stuff. Do you suppose that over the centuries they have developed an understanding of that fact so that turkey presence means food to them?

That might make a turkey decoy more than just a calming feature. It may actually make a decoy an attractant. ...... Just guessing at all that of course. :D

Doc

• 1 month later...

I had a magazine article from my father in law years ago about this..  The reasoning is, the turkey are way more wary than the deer and calm the deer as Doc stated.. It recommended setting out a deer decoy along with the flock too.. Can't say if it works one way or another, never tried it.. Plus, it sounds like alot of stuff to carry!

Few years ago I had a feeding hen set up in a corner of a feild fall turkey hunting. I was about 10 yards back in a seat when along the opposite corner 4 bucks came out of a draw. 1 6, 2 4's and a high spike. They all spotted the decoy, the 6 kept back about 100 yards, the spike seemed the most curious and got to 40-50 yards, looked at me like therer's something not right with that thing against the tree but didn't spook. It was almost like the 6 sent out the youngin to check it out. The 2 4's sparred for a few seconds then they all just walked off. Wasn't into bowhunting back then. Was a cool event though.

Another time on some state land in fact I had a pair of deeks set up like they were going along the edge of the feild. About 1/2 hourt after sun-up to my right I hear some hoof thumping. Knew exactly what was going on, some deer trying to move the birds. Next thing I know two other deer all does 20- 30 yards out and in the feild. One doe got within 5 yards of me and right up to the decoys I kid you not. After she realised the decoys wern't moving she sort of noticed me but kept right on eating leaves, cautiously  8)