Shotgun Rifled Barrel or not?

Rev Ev

There is no question sabots and rifled barrels shoot better and farther. Myself I just never felt the need for another SG and high priced slugs. I hunt farm land, watching a field? ML.

Thick brush and woods? My smooth bore . Funny part is my longest kills have been with the smooth bore . First year with the ML buck came out at 30 yards man I was good out to 150 kind of a let down, longest ML shot to date 75 yards . I guess I'll have to set up farther away from where i know the cross !

There is no question sabots and rifled barrels shoot better and farther. Myself I just never felt the need for another SG and high priced slugs. I hunt farm land, watching a field? ML.

Thick brush and woods? My smooth bore . Funny part is my longest kills have been with the smooth bore . First year with the ML buck came out at 30 yards man I was good out to 150 kind of a let down, longest ML shot to date 75 yards . I guess I'll have to set up farther away from where i know the cross !

That's what i've been doing lately. MZ if the shot is longer. No need to buy another gun that only hunts one thing if all the bases are covered. The smoothbore can let me chase the turkey, deer, squirrel, etc. I'd say 9 of every ten stand sets I have, the smoothbore can adequately cover the range.

Sounds like you're asking about using your bird barrel with slugs. If so, I'd suggest a saddle type scope mount, use a improved cylinder or cylinder bore screw in choke and go to it; try different brands of slugs until you find one you like. A smooth bore slug barrel (with a saddle style scope mount) should do about 3" groups or so at 75 - 100 yds with the right foster style slug. If you want possibly better groups and want to interchange barrels for other uses, I'd go with a rifled barrel with a cantilver scope mount and shoot sabot bullets. In either case, for a scope I recommend something in the range of 1 3/4X-5X or 2X-7X; and pick a good one like Nikon or Leupold. There are a few things you can do to tighten up the barrel to receiver fit that will help improve accuracy in both cases. If you want a lighter combination and have good eyes, a slug barrel (smooth or rifled) with iron sights will do the job too and will be more pleasant to carry.

• 3 weeks later...

this is what worked for me for over 20 years till they made the central upstate rifle now can be used.

I have 2 Winchester deer guns. (shotguns) one smooth and one rifled. The rifled barreled gun is way more accurate past 60 or so yards, with Lightfield slugs. Granted most shots, where I hunt, are inside of 60 yards but the rifled barrel is a more accurate gun.

Don't get me wrong. If someone told me that from now on I could only hunt with a smooth bore, I wouldn't cry but when it comes to accuracy rifled is better. IMHO