send letters for crossbows in NY

bows and crossbows are legal and are archery equipment, a firearm is not.

Nope.....a crossbow is certainly not legal archery equipment.

FAIL.

Actually, he said 2 separate things in the sentence, not 1. First, he said crossbows are legal, which is true. Second, he said they are archery equipment, which they are.

You FAIL at your lame attempt to twist things.

They are legal in GUN season.

They are clearly defined as other than archery,

YOU fail in your attempt to twist things as though I am trying to twist things.

LOL

He never said they were legal in bow season, did he? I twist nothing.  ;D

The issue of cross-bow users taking the bow hunter couse has benn brought up. By Brother who is no longer with us was an instructor for many years, I remember when this was brought up a few years ago the state told the bow instructors that they would have to teach the new cross-bow hunters the course. My brother and from my understanding most if not all NY bow instructors said they wouldn't and if they were forced to do it they would drop there certificates. I don't know how they stand on the issue now but I dought it has changed much. My Brother I'm sure is rolling over in his grave now know that they have allowed the cross-bow into NY in any way shape or form. By the way the last 4 years of his life he was no longer able to hunt with a bow and would rather die knowing the sport as he knew "TRUE BOW HUNTING" than ruin it with the thought of useing a "CROSS-GUN"!!! My thought is if one chooses to hunt with a croos-bow fine but not during archery only season!!! Yes that means I don't consider croos-bows archery equipment.

Who gets to decide what a true bowhunter is...? I am a bowhunter and I don't have the same opinion as you and Arrow... do other bowhunters with my opinion get to decide as well as?

And do other bow hunters with my opinion get to decide? I think all NY sportsman should get to decide. If you think that this is only between bow hunter your wrong. I know many gun hunters that don't like the fact that this is happening!!! I say hold off for a year. Make it so that when the NY sportsman buy there tags this year that in order to do so they must answer a quick questioniar. 1- should cross-bow be legel in NY, 2- if so should they be alowed in the archery season, 3- should they have there own season. ect.ect. ect. I say let all NY sportsman decide and the the cards fall where they may!! I still think the MAJORITY SHOULD RULE weather I or you like it dosn't matter. It's what the MAJORITY of NY sportsman want. I have a funny feeling that the pro cross-bow will lose if the MAJORITY get's to chose and not the special interests!!!

A questionaire would be great, many of us have been saying that for quite some time. Im pretty confident you would be wrong about crossbows getting voted down though. There is video floating around here somewhere of one of the meetings the DEC had before the vote on crossbows, and it was referred to about the number of emails, calls and letters they received that were pro-crossbow outnumbered the anti letters by a strong majority.

Oh, and the term "true bowhunter" or "real bowhunter" is nothing more than elitist drivel that does nothing more than turn hunters against hunters. The way  I see it is anyone that hunts with any type of archery equipment is an archery hunter and we should be sticking together and focusing our energy on the fight against our real enemies, and not each other.

Zzzzzzz....isnt it etc? And queationairE? Arent crossbows bows ? In that they fire a projectile using stored kinetic energy in a string attached to a limb and riser..if homies can shoot a 9mm sideways..why cant we shoot a bow the same?..oh it has a trigger you say? How about a release for a bow..crossbows  are a legit tool for killin game..thats the bottom line..nobodys askin YOU to use one..its just going to be an option. Shotgunners have dealt with the riseing use of mzl loaders which shoot farther and more accurate..whats the cryin about..some hunters are lookin for a NEW challenge..crossbows present that. All aboard!..dont see myself usin one..but sure as hell wont look down on  ANYONE whos interested in it..if one of my 3 boys says he wants to hunt with one..hes gonna have one..i guarantee..

I do like the dec's wording on their website on how in other states people start with a crossbow and many change over to a traditional/compound bow. Seems like that would create a increase in "true"bow hunters. Plus if they change overs it seems they are giving up their so called advantage it there ever was one.. We fear what we do not understand! For the record i would like to see a seperate season(means i get to hunt more :( ) but i'll get in the caboose with joe! And they are legal, and most states include them in archery season as archery equipment(new york put them in late archery season)! but enough with the definitions.....

I do like the dec's wording on their website on how in other states people start with a crossbow and many change over to a traditional/compound bow. Seems like that would create a increase in "true"bow hunters. Plus if they change overs it seems they are giving up their so called advantage it there ever was one..

I think you are right G-man. I see a lot of hunters moving to impliments that are more challenging as their hunting matures. If not that many get more selective in the game they take. I have made similiar moves and hung up my shot gun 3 years or so ago for a muzzleloader. I intend on building a flintlock in the future so i can use that. I also want to get back in to a recurve or long bow.

It might make a good entry level weapon for some and be a fall back for others in their later careers

Culver, i think that is how a lot of people look at it. I do believe that more hunters would be in the woods during archery season if xbow are allowed then. but a lot will give it up quick once they relalize what it takes to get close enough to use effectively. For those that catch the bug i will welcome them with open arms as i truly believe the skillls used/developed to make one a good archer/bowhunter make one a better hunter as well!

I do like the dec's wording on their website on how in other states people start with a crossbow and many change over to a traditional/compound bow.

Could you point me to that DEC wording, please?  Seems to me that the DEC should not be voicing any opinions about illegal weapons.

The data does not support that statement, or you and Culver's opinion.

There are more crossbow hunters than bowhunters in OH.  The gap gets bigger each year.

When VA legalized crossbows, they lost 14,000 bowhunters in 2 years.

I do like the dec's wording on their website on how in other states people start with a crossbow and many change over to a traditional/compound bow.

Could you point me to that DEC wording, please?  Seems to me that the DEC should not be voicing any opinions about illegal weapons.

There are more crossbow hunters than bowhunters in OH.  The gap gets bigger each year.

So What!

Did it result in more hunters partaking in the archery season? Were more deer killed to satisfy the goals of the Ohio DNR. Did hunter numbers increase/decline as a result of the inclusion of crossbows? Apparently, crossbow hunting is a win/win situation for the Ohio hunting community.

Where did they go, a retirement community in Florida?

I though crossbow persons considered themselves bow hunters. So your admitting crossbows are really not bows at all but something other than? Sorry just have to stoke the fire  8)