Live From the Stand 2012

WNYBuckHunter

stepped out of the truck to head across the field to my stand, saw 2 sets of eyes in the middle of the field just outside an island of brush in the center. beeped my horn and they slowly wandered off. i start walking i get to the island of brush, turn the corner spot the rest of the field with my light and right there infront of me 15 yds is a buck made for TV. he was enormous. g2s were all of 11 inches and his g3s werent far behind. he had great mass and spread. once in a lifetime buck for sure, one of those bucks where his rack looks too big for his head to hold up.... after a few explicit words and a slap to the face i finally made it to my stand. rest of the morning was great had 4 does come in, and then had a nice racked 8 point trottin through then a little 4 point made a few passes along the path of one of the does. she had to have been hot.

Hold on, you said you spotted the field? How big of a light did you have? You know its illegal to spotlight with a weapon in your possession, right?

From DEC FAQs...

"Q: Can I use a light to see my way through the woods when I go hunting?

A: Yes. You may use a small flashlight to safely travel to or from your hunting location as long as you are not using the light to locate or hunt any big game."

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8310.html

Just an FYI so you arent getting yourself into trouble.

Hold on, you said you spotted the field? How big of a light did you have? You know its illegal to spotlight with a weapon in your possession, right?

From DEC FAQs...

A: Yes. You may use a small flashlight to safely travel to or from your hunting location as long as you are not using the light to locate or hunt any big game."

http://www.dec.ny.go...tdoor/8310.html

he said he was walking to stand so im guessing it was a headlamp or a small flash light. i know i wouldnt be walking to my stand with a 5m candle powered spot light lol

OK...now I'm getting peeved...so this afternoon at 4pm...... I spot a groups of doe feeding my way .....nothing up till then....I here a snap at 4:20 and coming in to my rt and behind me 55yrds is the big 10./..I tried the bleat...nothing ...again he stops and pics up his head...I ready for the shot...he then just walks away toward the doe....they are fiddling around...slowly closing the gap when beyond them up pops a very wht very high racked 8pt...andf he starts heading away???...so I grunt...lesson #1 no more grunts...these deer have been shot at...for he and then the ten appears and they take off on a dead run...nice...the doe finally get to me...4 fawn...alll broad side 18yrds...pass

From DEC FAQs...

http://www.dec.ny.go...tdoor/8310.html

yes its a small handheld flashlight i use to walk in with. before i start my hike in ill scan the field for eyeballs lookin back at me so i know where not to walk, but on my hike in ill walk without it on. ill just flash it every so often to see where im at along hedgerows or among trees looking for my climber, and in doing so looking for eyeballs. if that falls under "locating" deer, guilty as charged every time i step off my porch or my running boards.

OK...now I'm getting peeved...so this afternoon at 4pm...... I spot a groups of doe feeding my way .....nothing up till then....I here a snap at 4:20 and coming in to my rt and behind me 55yrds is the big 10./..I tried the bleat...nothing ...again he stops and pics up his head...I ready for the shot...he then just walks away toward the doe....they are fiddling around...slowly closing the gap when beyond them up pops a very wht very high racked 8pt...andf he starts heading away???...so I grunt...lesson #1 no more grunts...these deer have been shot at...for he and then the ten appears and they take off on a dead run...nice...the doe finally get to me...4 fawn...alll broad side 18yrds...pass

Man that stinks, it seems the grunt and can have not really worked with good results for me the last two seasons as well. Deer have been going to school, I rarely use scents as well I think deer bust a hunter using a grunt or can or scents and the the next time they hear/smell that they think uh oh stupid guy in tree again scatter!!

Live from the truck... boston to gowonda spotted nothing (7:00), on the way back @ 830, every field seemed to have piles of deer... so that tells me that my area seems to have gone nocturnal, looks like ill be relying on the drives sat to move the deer my way... and man do i need a new spotlight!

left at 5:30am....been having a "craptastic" couple of weeks so God gave me a "count your blessings" moment....I was a tad too stealth and literally walked right into a skunk...I think it was peeing at the time...rolled off my boot and I was turning to face rt as he ran tail up lft.

I didn't know I could side step so fast!....Wow he didn't spray and I heard his nails on the inside of some plastic drain pipe we are storing....must be his"den" good to know...it was blk out with patches of snow here and there...never saw him...but his urine is on my boots......let me say...nearly wasn't the only urine on my boots...... :O so yes counting my blessings

kicked up the 8pt I missed and doe and twins....got light...doe and twins were bedded across the gully from me...the 8 was out in the farmers field headed away..... tried every thing for there was another hunter up that way...he turned and came back but 70yrds above me...then disappeared...feet got cold just got in a few minutes ago...