Live From the Stand 2012

WNYBuckHunter

Awesome morning to be out, saw a nice 6 chasing a doe. A few minutes later a small 5 point also joined in on the chase. Most activity I've seen all season....and all from the couch. Being sick sucks! Dad was up in the woods and also saw a small buck, with 2-4 inches of snow expected between today and tomorrow the next few days should be fun.

Yeah it's tough, little action over here, right after I posted that I had a small 6 come into my bleating and estrus pee, took forever, thought i was gonna have a short shot to my right, then he turns ands heads away, I call him back with a bleat and a grunt, another 10 min of him coming slowly at me, finally get a 17 yrd shot opp. And I shot over his back, lol. Next time. He wasnt very big anyway.

On a side note, the blind calling thing seems to work pretty good when the rut is on, problem lies in the fact that you don't know where they are gonna show up at, and they are lookin for something, intently. Note to self, next time avoid putting scent wick directly under stand.

live from the kitchen window...washing dishes...I look up and there 20yds away stands a 6pt buck ....until our hot water heater vent started up...lol then he trotted down into the woods...figures...lol

That's why I have my bow sitting on the kitchen table...I'm stuck on daddy duty til Friday morning, so if one of the last stubborn apple thieves walks under the tree and into dining room range I'm ready!

These casement windows have provided my only filled tag in a year on two separate occasions..

Edited by 7J Everyday

On a side note, the blind calling thing seems to work pretty good when the rut is on, problem lies in the fact that you don't know where they are gonna show up at, and they are lookin for something, intently. Note to self, next time avoid putting scent wick directly under stand.

That's exactly right. Happened to me this past weekend. I was blind calling every 40 minutes or so. It was snowing/raining so the ground was damp and quiet. I turned around and had a 6pt staring right at me at 30 yards. Would have been an easy shot. I was completely busted and couldn't move. He stared for a few more seconds, took a few nervous steps away, and then sprinted off. He came in from the one direction that I couldn't see well and was completely silent. Lesson learned. Gotta stay alert and observing 360 degrees when blind calling during the rut.

Another great morning...frustrating but great...had a buck nearly run me over as I stepped off the road to my last 1/4 mile....then as I got closer to the stand area deer were running away every which way and got snorted...I walk past the stand I had such a good morning in watching deer under the other stand...and went to the other stand....just to watch deer walking under and past the first one...lol...a beautiful big 8pt limped 15 or less yrds past that first stand I tried the bleat can but he wasn't even interested ...making a beeline to his bed...I checked his back trail for blood when I left...nothing....may have been a fight...had a 3pt and 4 point chase does under the stand...watched another good 6 or 8 running through the woods grunting like mad with no doe in sight and a nice group of 8 doe and fawn came in 24 yrds behind me...2 huge doe in the group...a lot of passes today...hoping that injured bruiser is on his feet again this afternoon...if all this well business is done..I'm hoping for an afternoon hunt...lots and lots of grunting going on...but not seeing big buck on doe...and have no interest in the bleat can.....

Edited by growalot

Wife gave me her lunch break to get out and move my am stand 50yds up the ridge...

Now im right on top of the the route they've been taking around me all season, and there's a stinky scrape in an open lane at 20 yds..hope it works out tomorrow morning!

Edited by 7J Everyday

Not any movement in 8G. Doe bleated and grunted in a decent size button buck (100lbs) six feet from the stand. Let him walk when I seen the top of his head. Told him to swing by and say Hi in another 4 years. LOL Hope he makes it through the gun season. Times like this that make you wonder if letting them walk is the right choice when hunting stateland.

7S was crazy today. Hunted all day. Saw over 20 deer all times of the day. Two really nice bucks that were with does and would just not come in. Saw fights, 4 bucks chasing one doe, grunting, bleating. Only shots were with button bucks and spikes. Tough to see that many deer and not get an arrow off.

• Like 1

So happy with my self...until...I over thought it and there's a young 8pt still roaming the woods...

I only had an 1 1/2 half to hunt so hit a close stand....15 min in I see a fawn skirting around from behind me...he did a 180 arch and I see he has crotch horns tiny set....then 30 min later I catch movement 100 yrds away on the edge of field and woods...I did a couple of quick loud bleats and it stops...then I loose track of it....next thing I know there is a young 8pt 200ft out coming in...he gets 30yrds away and stops in an opening I'm already at full draw...

Then my mind starts working...but not for what I know for the new bow but the 15yrs experience with my old bow creeps in...crap!...30yrds...he's looking for another deer on alert.... so at the shot he'll drop and turn away...(rt. there is the old bow)..it was loud and the deer always did that... also he is at a fair down hill angle from me....so I aimed low...No drop!...he just stood there as I watched my arrow just miss the back of his front rt leg and chest... :O ...then he turns and trots another 10 yrds...I knock another and hit the can....he turns back a couple of yrds...then we hear the 4 wheeler and lots of noise behind me...neighbor lost their horse and everyone's out looking....

I get gear together and out runs a doe and another spike buck nose to ground...

I know better...the deer don't jump like they did with this new bow...dummy!!!!...lol

Tomorrows another day....

Edited by growalot