Live From the Stand 2012

WNYBuckHunter

Ugh starting to feel snkebit here in NY.

Got to my new location, in the tree I realize I'm missing my bowhnd glove...and I hold my bow the entire hunt.

So I'm prayin for an early chance....and just got it on a nice 4-6 at 35 yds....my FOURTH clean miss in NY this season!

Thank god for the poconos spike from the first weekend...otherwise I might have swung myself from this tree.

the forecast said 2mph winds out of NNW...ya...sure...north west and very breezy ...23 degrees...heard a grunt...aw nothing...walk in was like walking on corn chips....frost heave in ground...very noisy Came in ..business and chores...went out to feed chickens...they are down in the woods...and did a slow stalk clearing a trail to a stand...kicked up a doe...went 10yrds and laid down again...I tried to slowly back up...but she was with a buck and he bolted taking her along...good thing...escape route took them right in front of the gun blind....4-6pt...not sure...yungin

Edited by growalot

7S was crazy today. Hunted all day. Saw over 20 deer all times of the day. Two really nice bucks that were with does and would just not come in. Saw fights, 4 bucks chasing one doe, grunting, bleating. Only shots were with button bucks and spikes. Tough to see that many deer and not get an arrow off.

i agree, but i dont mind those days. fun to be in the woods

so at the shot he'll drop and turn away...(rt. there is the old bow)..it was loud and the deer always did that... also he is at a fair down hill angle from me....so I aimed low...No drop!...he just stood there as I watched my arrow just miss the back of his front rt leg and chest... :O ...

i have to admit i've never been a believer in "the drop" i think sometimes it's an excuse for those who shoot under deer. However, I'm not sure what bow you had and have. When we overthink things some times it makes it worse. Set your pin behind the shoulder and release in my opinion.

So I'm prayin for an early chance....and just got it on a nice 4-6 at 35 yds....my FOURTH clean miss in NY this season!

4 misses? somethings going on there man

Edited by Belo

Well some activity this morning, an ugly spike he has one 3 inch nub and the other nub is 4-5 inches with the beginning of another point, a real nice doe but no shot and finally what started to look like a six. The one side is a tall 3 pt but the other side looks to have been damaged and it grew flat and dropped behind his ear probably 8 inches. No good shots but nice to see some deer move. I kicked a 4 up on the way out, pulled the SD cards so hopefully something is on them. Back out later, work permitting.

Belo...I don't use sights...been hunting instinctive for 15 years... no need to take my years of experience....you need to watch Growing deer TV...they give great examples of deer dropping and loading there shoulders to run in slow motion....the older bow I had was a Hoyt raider/Intruder...I now shoot a mission by Mathews Venture...a world of difference in both sound and speed...last year two arrows two kills and a doe this years so far...a case of old habits...that won't occur again

Hunted ohio the whole week and saw a few nice bucks. Today is the last day and i shot a great 9 pointer this morning but hit him in the brisket. He bedded down 40 yards from stand and then got up 20 min later and walked away. Im so dissapointed i spent the whole week waiting for a buck to come within range and i blew it. We tracked tiny spots of blood for 200 yards and then it just stopped. Feel sick to my stomach right now.

John

Went to a whole new section of property...what a great night...too exciting ! short of it...doe and triplets came in and fed around me 22yrds out...a young doe burst in bringing a great 10pt...he had a low growl kind of grunt...she gave me two different chances to draw on him and then took them away :fie: ...shoulders a bit sore last time was a long hold...had him at 28 and 24yrds...was dark by the time they were finally away to climb down...no sooner start descent...grunt behind me ...another buck came in...waited...get out with out being busted...get 150 yrds from the house and walk right into what sounded like a herd of them...running away I hear more grunts....got home at 6 :30 the walk was a tad scary...Wow what fun.... but soooo frustrating!!

Edited by growalot

PS...put on head lamp to go get mail...no street lights in these hills...they light caught eyes in the radish patch..Well had to look so switched from green to high wht...Ohhh Yaaa...3 buck standing out there watching me....the middle had a wide rack and the other to were younger maybe one of the 4's and not sure what the other was....surprised to see an older buck with the 2 young ones standing shoulder to shoulder...