Score him

Geno C

There are so few 8pts in any st record book that hit 140 yet alone 150. Maybe I am mistaken but I do not think he is anywhere near 150. if he had 10 brow tines{which I do not think he does} and then 10 inch G'2s{which i do not think he does} and then had 6inch G'3 lets give him 23 inch beams and a 20 inch spread you are at 95 inches. That is the most you could possibly have with this deer at this point in the measurements. Now add up your circumference measurements and even if you gave him 4.5 inches at every one }even the last one between g3 and tips which he is not even close to having that kind of mass} you have 36 inches of mass. 95 + 36 = ? Tell me where you get another 20 inches of antler?

The 20" are in there! You gave him a score of 154 Popit. I get 152 in my estimate. Follow the math:

G1s 10 x 2= 20 (agree)

G2s 10 x 2= 20 (i say they are 11)

G3s 6 x 2= 12 (agree)

MBs 23 x 2 = 46 (agree)

Mass 36 (32 for me because he is an 8

Spread 20 (sure, why not)

Add it up... Those brows are a game changer. That buck is about as good as it gets for a NY 8. I was struck by how much he reminds me of the buck in my avatar. He would have been right at 150 if was an 8.

Edited by sampotter

The 20" are in there! You gave him a score of 154 Popit. I get 152 in my estimate. Follow the math:

G1s 10 x 2= 20 (agree)

G3s 6 x 2= 12 (agree)

MBs 23 x 2 = 46 (agree)

Add it up... Those brows are a game changer. That buck is about as good as it gets for a NY 8. I was struck by how much he reminds me of the buck in my avatar. He would have been right at 150 if was an 8.

i had him pegged around the mid/low150 mark also, im usually damn close in scoring deer. and for an 8? man doesnt get much better then that :)

popit didnt add the other length of the beam or the spread, he did lose 20" in his math.

G1s 10 x 2= 20 (agree)

G3s 6 x 2= 12 (agree)

MBs 23 x 2 = 46 (agree)

1st let me say I think he is a nice 8pt for NY. I did forget to give him the one beam measurement but we all know he is no where near 4.5 for anything but the 1st circumference. i also think he has 7-8 inch brows and 8 -9 inch G'2s/ Any deer that I have killed or had pics from and then found the sheds the tine legth is always less than I thought it was from the pic. There is an 8 I am gonna be after starting next week here in NY who I have a 3 year history with. I think he is pushing the upper 150's this year. I have pics of him last year and you would think his G'2s are 13 but I found his one shed and its just at 11. The same thing from 2 years ago. Always fun to debate score. Hopefully Gino kills him and then there will be no debate

There are so few 8pts in any st record book that hit 140 yet alone 150. Maybe I am mistaken but I do not think he is anywhere near 150. if he had 10 brow tines{which I do not think he does} and then 10 inch G'2s{which i do not think he does} and then had 6inch G'3 lets give him 23 inch beams and a 20 inch spread you are at 95 inches. That is the most you could possibly have with this deer at this point in the measurements. Now add up your circumference measurements and even if you gave him 4.5 inches at every one }even the last one between g3 and tips which he is not even close to having that kind of mass} you have 36 inches of mass. 95 + 36 = ? Tell me where you get another 20 inches of antler?

you have fuzzy math:

Brows - 20" (total)

G2s - 20" (total)

G3" - 12" (total)

Main Beams - 46" (total)

Spread - 20" (total)

That is 118", not 95" that you suggest. Plus 36" of mass, gives you 154", not 131".

I agree, he is not 154" because he doesn't have 10" 1's and 2's, but he is 140" for sure.

If you all look really hard at the photo.. that is a 10 not an 8.. look really hard!! just kidding, but made you look...

ears on mature whitetail are about 6" so:

G1 = 8x2 = 16

G2 = 10x2 = 20

G3 = 6x2 = 12

Beams based on ears about 22x2= 44

C1 = 5

C2 = 4.5

C3 = 3.5

C4 = 3

spread = 20?

gross score 144

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 2

here is the 8pt i got a few years ago.. 152 gross, 146 net , you pick looks like its still in velvet, this had long beams great with and mass, deer was 7.5 years old by dec, 8.5 by tooth cementum rings by museum in buffalo.post-899-0-49303200-1348622115_thumb.jpg

i dunno if its just me but that deer doesnt scream 150 to me. great spread tho!

If you all look really hard at the photo.. that is a 10 not an 8.. look really hard!! just kidding, but made you look...

ears on mature whitetail are about 6" so:

G1 = 8x2 = 16

G2 = 10x2 = 20

G3 = 6x2 = 12

Beams based on ears about 22x2= 44

C1 = 5

C2 = 4.5

C3 = 3.5

C4 = 3

spread = 20?

gross score 144

i dont even think those G1s are 8"?

• 1 year later...

Hate to bring up such an old thread but I think I can shed some light on this discussion. Recently found this forum and was looking through all the old threads. I shot what I believe is the question buck in November 2011. Unfortunately while he was running away he busted his main beam, the broken piece was never found after lots of searching. But the deer was fairly symmetrical and the broken side was the larger one so I figure I can give a "halfway decent" guess on his score by doubling the smaller side and estimating width. Im at work now but tomorrow I will post his measurements and a couple pictures.

Edited by Mike127
  • Like 2

Check your math, 10+10+6+23+18=67 per side totaling 134. Add your 20 inch spread=154, which I think is a reasonable score for a northern U.S. deer.