Which Henry .22 to buy?

Picking up a .22 S/L/LR and trying to decide between the classic, small game rifle (skinner peep sight), or frontier (semi-buckhorn sight). 

Classic:

image.thumb.png.5362340b45c8f9b8545c13dde4db0a42.png

Small Game:

image.thumb.png.086c1b2d293ea644badffa99d1581fcf.png

Frontier:

image.thumb.png.2d20a2cb3e89295e7d3f7d79ed6547df.png

Any thoughts or experience? Using it for plinking, maybe squirrel. And I have old eyes. Leaning toward the Frontier.

1 hour ago, left field said:

Picking up a .22 S/L/LR and trying to decide between the classic, small game rifle (skinner peep sight), or frontier (semi-buckhorn sight). 

Classic:

image.thumb.png.5362340b45c8f9b8545c13dde4db0a42.png

Small Game:

image.thumb.png.086c1b2d293ea644badffa99d1581fcf.png

Frontier:

image.thumb.png.2d20a2cb3e89295e7d3f7d79ed6547df.png

Any thoughts or experience? Using it for plinking, maybe squirrel. And I have old eyes. Leaning toward the Frontier.

I prefer buck horn as low light makes it hard to use peep esp if hunting.  Target is peep is better all day

Owned an Ithaca model 72 made by and imported from Erma Werkes W Germany for Ithaca, the Henry is an almost exact copy of that defunct rifle, passed it down to one of my sons. Smooth operating is the one word I would use for that gun, accuracy was adequate for it's type.

As for sights, performance wise I shoot with peep type sights the best, for squirrel hunting I would go with a good quality dedicated rimfire scope for more precise shot placement at longer ranges.

Al

• Like 1

2 hours ago, left field said:

Although lasik was wonderful and still is, I depended more and more on reading glasses . I’m not sure which model I have , but it’s become difficult to see the front sight .

Id go with which ever has the biggest , or add a scope, which won’t be added to mine though .

014D6D54-2A80-4D42-8AD3-37F46A570A11.jpeg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Although lasik was wonderful and still is, I depended more and more on reading glasses . I’m not sure which model I have , but it’s become difficult to see the front sight .

Id go with which ever has the biggest , or add a scope, which won’t be added to mine though .

014D6D54-2A80-4D42-8AD3-37F46A570A11.jpeg

That is a beautiful Henry, befitting of a Retired fire fighter as yourself Larry.

• Like 1

I have the classic it’s becoming my favorite plinker. I like the fact it holds 15rd. I can load it up and walk around picking off pine cones and mushrooms. Mines dead nuts on from 30-50 yards. I’ll probably use it squirrel hunting this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, left field said:

Thanks. I think I may go to with the Frontier and deal with the sights as best I can. 

I thought a scope on a lever action was sacrilege. Seems to be a real dividing line

Many a deer hunting levers have scopes, why not a squirrel gun? 

I do like the looks of a non scoped lever gun, but my eyes are old, and I'd scope it. 

3 hours ago, left field said:

Thanks. I think I may go to with the Frontier and deal with the sights as best I can. 

I thought a scope on a lever action was sacrilege. Seems to be a real dividing line

Todays lever actions are very accurate and a scope allows you to use that to full potential, these modern levers are not your grandfathers gun.

Tell me about this Lasik stuff.

I did the PRK lasik back in November. There still healing but I have no complaints other then a little gritty feeling from time to time. It didn’t do anything for reading or my astigmatism, but the doctor said it could take up to a year. There’s three or four different types of lasik so you need to do your homework and pick a reparable surgeon.
I used sightmd https://www.sightmd.com/ Dr. Martin on Long Island.

• Like 1

I did the PRK lasik back in November. There still healing but I have no complaints other then a little gritty feeling from time to time. It didn’t do anything for reading or my astigmatism, but the doctor said it could take up to a year. There’s three or four different types of lasik so you need to do your homework and pick a reparable surgeon.
I used sightmd https://www.sightmd.com/ Dr. Martin on Long Island.

I did PRK in 2008 or so. Was 20/10 for many years. I had/have astigmatism as well. My right (dominant) eye is now about 20/25 and I notice it, especially hunting. Really don’t want to go back to contacts or glasses.

Try a peep. If you don’t like it, mount a scope. I like my Henry .22 for plinking as well. They’re fun.

I did PRK in 2008 or so. Was 20/10 for many years. I had/have astigmatism as well. My right (dominant) eye is now about 20/25 and I notice it, especially hunting. Really don’t want to go back to contacts or glasses.

Try a peep. If you don’t like it, mount a scope. I like my Henry .22 for plinking as well. They’re fun.

I actually have no problem with the sight on the gun. I thinking of taking the scope off my 3030 once I get the reloads right for the berry’s bullets.