Light Base Layer Recommendations?

Capilene 1 for most times and Capilene 3 for stand hunting in the later seasons when cold.

http://www.patagonia.com/usa/patagonia.go?assetid=2301

Lots of places on the web to get good pricing if you look around.

I have an allergy to the Merino products, but they say they are good for keeping odor down when used for several days, better than the synthetics. I don't sweat much so I like all synthetics for most clothing.

• 5 months later...

If you are looking for a "BASE" layer, you can't beat silk...............................yes, silk!!!!!  It is by far the best/lightest weight base layer material available.

Light weight, moisture wicking, anti-chaffing. I have used silk as my base layer for nearly 20 yrs now while hunting, laugh if you want but I wear silk boxers when doing long hauls on the Harley......................7-8 hundred miles in one day and my arse doesn't complain one bit.

You can get it through any of the major vendors (Cabela's, BPS, Gander Mtn) I would also check out Sportsmens Guide, they sometimes have it on sale at a really good price.

FDXX75

I don't invest a ton of money in early season stuff because it's so hit or miss here in NY...sometime opening day is frigid.

But, I do have two pairs of base layers...one is the green X Scent and the other is the Bass Pro UA-type gear....I forget it's name. I think each set cost me about $30 on sale.

The Xscent is nice, but its more of a loose fit and I tend to wear it when it's slight more cool, even though its lightweight stuff. The BPS stuff is form fitting. I use it quite a bit throughout the season as it wicks well.

I don't invest a ton of money in early season stuff because it's so hit or miss here in NY...sometime opening day is frigid.

But, I do have two pairs of base layers...one is the green X Scent and the other is the Bass Pro UA-type gear....I forget it's name. I think each set cost me about $30 on sale.

The Xscent is nice, but its more of a loose fit and I tend to wear it when it's slight more cool, even though its lightweight stuff. The BPS stuff is form fitting. I use it quite a bit throughout the season as it wicks well.

I have one X scent shirt, I really like it. UA is over rated/priced and I hate felling like a piece of link sausage........................plus it pulls the hair on my chest and itches. LOL

FDXX75

• 2 months later...

Silk is the best light base layer. Used it for many years...they only last for 2-3 years. Sportsman Guide has them for cheap.

Ditto, Sportsman's Guide is probably the the best place cost wise. You should get more than a few yrs out of it if properly cared for. (hand wash, air dried) Machine washing and drying will kill it quick.

FDXX75

• 3 months later...

I use rocky which is pretty good. But i do a lot of hiking and i have to say when i bought terramar it was awesome. It's 86% micropolyester and 14% spandex. Buy it so it slightly tight but don't worry you'll be able to move with it on. It does work better if close to body not lose like a summer shirt. So much to choose out there. Under armour is ok but for the price i'd rather get terramar. Great places to look for base layers. Campmor, sportsmansguide, moosejaw, altrec  then of course cabelas or bassproshop .