Perfect Deer Rifle

Pygmy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a .338 win mag I bought a good many years ago now.  Never hunted anything with it.  It won't kill a deer any deader than a .270, 30-06, .308, etc.  Plus, the cheapest ammo you can get for it probably runs you close to $50 a box these days.  If you want the premium stuff it's way more.  No way is this the perfect deer gun in my opinion.

The trajectory of this cartridge isn't all that flat compared to some newer cartridges out there.  Yeah, it still packs a good punch out at 300 yards and above, but it really doesn't shoot any flatter than a 7mm mag or even a .270 at those distances.  I also don't think anyone has any business shooting at game past 300 yards.  Sure game could be killed at greater distances, but I think the reality is that most will screw up way more times than they will make a kill.  They will never admit it, though.

Wait a second, so your'e telling me that I shouldn't shoot 500 yards with my 7mm that I never take to the range to practice with?  ;D

What about the bow, can I shoot 50 yards at a walking deer in a stiff wind?

haha, I wouldn't want to walk 500 yards to check to see if I hit the darn deer anyway. I try to keep my shots close to avoid any form of exercise.

You bring up a good point, Doe.  I never shot at anything at 500 yards not even at a target.  Exactly how do people know where they are hitting a target at 500 yards or more?  Heck, those bullet holes look pretty small even at 100 yards when you look at them thru a scope set at 9X.  I know spotting scopes help at the shorter distances, but at 500 yards or more, can they see those small bullet holes??  I'm sure these shooters don't want to walk 500 yards or more after every few shots to see where they are hitting either.  Heck, if they were so willing to do some walking, then they wouldn't need to be shooting at critters at 500 yards or more!  They could just stalk closer!!  :)

The trajectory of this cartridge isn't all that flat compared to some newer cartridges out there.  Yeah, it still packs a good punch out at 300 yards and above, but it really doesn't shoot any flatter than a 7mm mag or even a .270 at those distances.  I also don't think anyone has any business shooting at game past 300 yards.  Sure game could be killed at greater distances, but I think the reality is that most will screw up way more times than they will make a kill.  They will never admit it, though.

I was joking, notice the "lol" at the end of the sentence.  :)

I was joking, notice the "lol" at the end of the sentence.  :)

Yeah, I know you were, but we all know that there are a good many hunters out there who actually think they can kill at unbelievable distances just because their rifles can shoot a long ways.  Most can't shoot too well at 100 yards, never mind 500 or more!

You bring up a good point, Doe.  I never shot at anything at 500 yards not even at a target.  Exactly how do people know where they are hitting a target at 500 yards or more?  Heck, those bullet holes look pretty small even at 100 yards when you look at them thru a scope set at 9X.  I know spotting scopes help at the shorter distances, but at 500 yards or more, can they see those small bullet holes??  I'm sure these shooters don't want to walk 500 yards or more after every few shots to see where they are hitting either.  Heck, if they were so willing to do some walking, then they wouldn't need to be shooting at critters at 500 yards or more!  They could just stalk closer!!  :)

I know a guy that didn't check to see if he hit a buck last year and it was only like 80yards, he found it later in the season right where he had last seen it. What a dummie..no its not me and no I don't hunt with the guy. I think long shots is more of a western united states thing, I can only think of a couple of spots where it would even be possible around here.

You know last night I was shooting the bow from 50 and I thought to my self, I need more arrows so I can stop walking back and forth so much. I worked up a sweat shooting the bow!

"Most can't shoot too well at 100 yards, never mind 500 or more!"

You might as well have just said

"Doe can't shoot too well at 100 yards, never mind 500 or more!"

haha I stink with a gun, I think the farthest I ever shoot was @150, it took me two shoots but I got that doe!! She was to fat to pass up and weighed in at 135#

Actually, a .338 Win Mag is not an ultra long range number..Trajectory with 225-250 grain bullets is similar to a 30-06 with 180 grain bullets... It is designed for killing large, tough game animals at normal ranges, say, from point blank to 400 yards..

And  there's nothing WRONG with shooting deer with a .338, if you so desire...It's just that something that powerful is not required. Many lesser rounds will kill deer just as efficiently at just as long a range with much less recoil and muzzle blast... Calling a .338 a perfect deer rifle is ludicrous...  Also, I can't imagine a worse optics match for that rifle than a 6 x 24 variable... Scopes in that range are usually target or varmint models, and tend to be long and heavy ....I can't imagine needing that much maginification in a big game scope...A good quality ( such as Leupold) fixed 4X would be MY choice, and most hunters would probably opt for a variable no higher powered than a 3x9....

"Most can't shoot too well at 100 yards, never mind 500 or more!"

You might as well have just said

"Doe can't shoot too well at 100 yards, never mind 500 or more!"

haha I stink with a gun, I think the farthest I ever shoot was @150, it took me two shoots but I got that doe!! She was to fat to pass up and weighed in at 135#

Doe, it's the guys who know their limitations, and can make fun of themselves who make the best hunters.  The know-it-alls out there, and the hunting world has PLENTY of them, are nothing more than hot air!! 

I will be honest, I have shot at 2 deer at 300 yards. I got one on the 2nd shot. The other one I fired 2 shots and she walked behind some brush so I decided to try to sneak up on her. I only take the shots if there is snow on the ground. I would say 99% of my shooting is within 100 yards. I would not shoot over 300 yards.

I am shooting a Remington .280 with 140 grains

I was joking, notice the "lol" at the end of the sentence.  ;)

Yeah, I know you were, but we all know that there are a good many hunters out there who actually think they can kill at unbelievable distances just because their rifles can shoot a long ways.  Most can't shoot too well at 100 yards, never mind 500 or more!

Youre right. I wouldnt take a shot at a deer with any gun that I havent practiced at that distance with, and with the right conditions. Thats another thing that people dont take into consideration. Wind and other weather conditions have an effect on shots, especially at long range.

There are long range riflemen who use specialized gear and regularly kill deer and other big game animals at ranges in excess of 500 yards..

Guys have been shooting "mountain to mountain" in parts of Pa for years, and with the specialized rifles, rangefinders and optics they use, they do it very efiiciently.. I have no problem with that..

However, most of us mere mortals, using factory issue rifles and scopes, and shooting from field postions rather than benchrests, have a much shorter practical range...

I have killed a couple of game animals at 400 yards and a few more at 300 or a bit farther, but I was always shooting from a dead solid postion, usually prone with a bipod.. I also know how much my bullets are going to drop all the way out to 400..That comes from actually shooting groups, not from a ballistic table... However by far most of my shots have been inside 250 yards, and I will not take even a relatively close shot without a steady rest...

I'll admit to having killed whitetails ( and caribou and coyotes) with a .338 WM and a 9.3 x 62 with 250 and 270 grain bullets...If I had a .458 mag and wanted some trigger time with it, I would not hesitate to take it deer hunting..

However, to get back to my original post, that is a far cry from calling a .338 WM with a 6x24 scope a "perfect deer rifle"... :) ...