Perfect Deer Rifle

Pygmy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every hunter is different and so is where and how he hunts.  Therefore every hunter's perfect deer rifle will be different.  The perfect deer rifle is the one the individual hunter decides is perfect for the deer hunting they do.

This may actually be the perfect deer rifle for someone, though I would hate to meet the man in person......

Ok....200 yards with todays Shotgun is very doable. IF the conditions are right and I have a prone or bipod shot I would take it anyday. I have taken 2 deer with my 11-87 at between 200 and 225 and you don't need 4 feet of hold over either. Shortly before that though I was on a range out to 350 at a buddies house and we put 100 rounds through it from 100 out to 300 to see what it would do. from 250 to 300 the bottom falls right out of it...lol

Ok....200 yards with todays Shotgun is very doable. IF the conditions are right and I have a prone or bipod shot I would take it anyday. I have taken 2 deer with my 11-87 at between 200 and 225 and you don't need 4 feet of hold over either. Shortly before that though I was on a range out to 350 at a buddies house and we put 100 rounds through it from 100 out to 300 to see what it would do. from 250 to 300 the bottom falls right out of it...lol

That's some fancy shooting.  You have an aftermarket trigger on that gun?  The triggers on most shotguns suck so bad that kind of accuracy would seem almost impossible.

What slug/scope/barrel combo are you using? 

I'll invite you up next year....lead sled...2 guys over the weekend..are you kidding me? You don't need to be superman...between pistols...rifles...muzzleloaders....probably a 5000 round weekend....we try to get together every other year for it. As far as not believing in the 200 yards for a sluggun...try it on paper. It might surprise you. These aren't your grandfathers slugs. If I wasn't capable a consistent shot on paper I would never try it in the woods...well they were field shots.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I like to make sure the deer are really close when I fire...this way I miss less often and if I have to, I can also use my Mossberg as a club.

Kidding...but serious about only taking close shots...It's not like I'm getting any younger and can suddenly see better, ya know?

This is hard to believe. Plus that's about $350 of ammo.

I shoot a 444 marlin and love it.

But if I were looking for a gun to hunt in NY and only NY and I could by one gun. This is my list of calibers I would look at. Remember this only my list, it is not in order of preference.

260REM, 7mm-08, 308, 30-30, 30marlin, 35rem, 44mag (rifle), 444marlin, 45-70, 450marlin and 50sw that’s my list. Next I would look at what guns they are available in the availability of ammo (how reloadable it is) and at what range most of my shots are at. Now here’s my pick remember I said only one gun to hunt NY; that gun would be a 12 or 20ga shotgun with 2 barrels (1 bird 1deer) with a shotgun you can hunt anything in NY.  :D

This is hard to believe. Plus that's about $350 of ammo.

Believe it or not. We hit his range every couple years. and spend 2 days doing nothing but shooting. Pistols...Rifles and shotguns. He was only familiar with the old pumpkin ball throwers in shotguns and was astounded at the accuracy.

I saw an add in the Corning Leader classifieds this morning....

It advertised a Howa 1500 in .338 Win Mag  with a 6 x 24 scope...

The add said it was a "perfect deer rifle"....

He must hunt some pretty BIG, TOUGH deer.... :D .....

Is this the real true life PYGMY  from the wildside forum??? 

I got one of those .338 win mags as partial payment on a construction job, along with

3 other guns as well for the same job. I am not in any big hurry to shoot that bad boy

after seeing the load data on it... probably just set in the gun cabinet and look perty

like the rest of them cause I don't sell any guns I buy or are given to me.