After you spook a deer...

Elmo

I generally chalk it up to an interesting event and keep on moving to wherever it is I was heading to. Unless I can figure out a reason why the deer was there, or a reason why they would ever come back, I simply chuck it into my memory banks and don't really act on the event. Most deer that I have ever noticed seem to plop themselves down pretty much wherever they feel like it and that does not necessarily make it a consistant bedding area or anything other than the place where they finally decided to take a load off their feet. Depending on the level of pressure they are experiencing, they may chose more secluded or thicker cover to flop in, but I have also seen them right out in an open woods. They do not re-use beds. So be happy that you have evidence that deer are in the area, but that's about as useful as that encounter is likely to ever be.

I keep going... ive seen plenty of deer come in after one is spooked. in fact last year i blew about 6 deer off the field opening day and they all came back with in 30 minutes. Try not to get to mental on some things, kicking deer up happens. Cant sit in the dark wasting time trying to come up with a extra strategy on where to sit since you spooked some game. whats the worse that happens you see nothing in the morning? bet early afternoon deer will move though again... or maybe even right after you kicked em up

I had a doe and fawn by my stand as I climbed into it saturday morning. They were 20 yards away and didn't know what I was. I fumbled around settling in. After 10 minutes Momma had enough and blew

3-4 times and off they went. Not more than 20 minutes here comes a big spike horn and after him another small buck. 3 hours later two huge bucks cross 50 yards above me. These critters are tough to figure out. You would of thought my hunt was over when she snorted, nope it was just beginning!

Sorry. I should have clarified. I mean if you're in your spot waiting for the deer and it comes in as you expected but it spots you and takes off. Do you stay hoping it comes back or that's it, the deer won't return to the spot the rest of the day?

Thanks!

Edited by Elmo

So last Monday, I had a parade of does go by my stand. They had been spooked by a dog or person and were trotting by. The 12th one was walking slowly and got a carbon injection and died 60ish yards away. I had the rest of the group come back and spook twice while I was dragging her out of the field.

Sometimes they will return, other times they wont. I would stay there unless the wind was not in my favor.

So last Monday, I had a parade of does go by my stand. They had been spooked by a dog or person and were trotting by. The 12th one was walking slowly and got a carbon injection and died 60ish yards away. I had the rest of the group come back and spook twice while I was dragging her out of the field.

Sometimes they will return, other times they wont. I would stay there unless the wind was not in my favor.

Totally agree, wind is everything when it comes to hunting, well almost everything.

I agree, I would stay as long as the wind is in your favor. Especially if it is a doe. Mature buck...ehh, chances are less that he'll return. Still, unless you have a much better place in mind at this point of the season...I'd ride out the sit.

I do however, know deer will re-use beds - they don't just bed randomly. If you were in on a bed and spooked it, give it a month and come back using the information you have on exactly when and how to come back. Now, they may have many beds to choose from, but they will re-use them. If you know why...then you are that much more ready to kill the deer.

You find the best buck bed, and you can pretty much gurantee when/if the buck that beds there is shot/dies, another one will fill that spot at some point and begin bedding there. You may also find some satelite beds around a prime buck bed, usually filled by younger bucks. If the mature buck is not in the prime bed, then an immature buck will fill it.

Doe beds are going to a little easier to find...sometimes in open fields as nighttime beds, in open areas where the numbers give them advantage to be alerted to danger, etc.

Edited by phade

Keep hunting where the Does are whether you spook them or not. Bucky will be checking all these areas as the season progresses. I had a Doe spook,(just wasn't sure what I was,in my stand) and was blowing as she left. I blew back at her 3 times and she came back within 25 yards. Just when you think you have them figured out, you don't. Spooked some walking in, only to have them circle back because they thought the danger had past. Its all part of the experience and the stories you have to tell later. Take it all in and enjoy!

Doc is that right... they do not reuse beds. Never heard that before. Do you mean they don't actually lie down in the exact same bed or some spot close by?

Deer will re-use beds. Some bed may not be, but more than most will be re-used at some point.