Looking for a track driver rifle.. opinions??

They don't "have" to be taken. People take them because it's easier than actually learning how to hunt. There are lots of deer and antelope taken out west with archery gear every year.

Agreed, but in many cases they MUST be taken if you want a specific animal. My Deer for example was across a canyon with several other deer looking right at us. If I tried to get any closer than 330 yards, they would have ran another mile away. It was shoot at 330yards or pass up this deer. We snuck from 525 to 330, but could not get any closer. In many other cases, I could have taken shots under 100 yards at deer, but they were not deer I wanted to take.

It's not about "learning how to hunt". I was with an experienced guide and we made several stalks throughout the week on deer & antelope, playing the wind, etc. Sometimes you just can't get any closer without blowing it and thats why they tell you the average shot is 200 yards with rifle and 40-50yards with a bow.

I agree with that. I think being able to shoot long range is good tool to have in your toolbox when you need it. It's the people that set personal goals to see how far away they can shoot an animal from rather then seeing how close they can get before the shot that piss me off.

I agree. I expected the antelope to be long shot, and was more than happy to take one under 80 yards. I have hunted enough to know that its not always easy and anything can happen. I have been skunked on a few hunting trips. I am not opposed to taking a 50 yard shot at a standing still broadside animal on the first morning, lol.

I like 260s, in the right gun, with the right shooter and load, its capable of 1000 yards. 300 is nothing for that round, and its a fantastic one for Whitetails, Mule deer and anything smaller. Not alot of recoil, and an ok selection of factory ammo available. I had an Encore handgun chambered in 260, and put a deer down at @ 200 yards with factory ammo. She ran 10 yards and tipped over. One of these days, Im planning on getting another 260 barrel for my Encore.

As far as manufacturer, it depends on how much you want to spend. For the best performer, a custom rifle is going to be the very best, but it will come at a price. Remington, Savage and Winchester are nice factory guns, as is Browning, but I find them to be a tad pricey.

The first thing is that you want a rifle in the caliber that you can purchase ammo for it anywhere you intend on hunting with it.I would save my money and try to buy the top model of whichever company's rifle you seem to be the most comfortable with.I bought a custom rifle from a company out west and the salesman was originaly from a town where I grew up in New York.He hunted all over the country for deer,elk,moose ect.He suggested what he uses for them all and all 200 yard or more shots.It was a .270 WSM.Others to consider the old reliable 30 - 06 or a .308 and by the way bench rest shooters shoot the .308 out to 1000 in 8" or better groups.

Not sure either where who's contracting the mark v's......

Back to the OP's questions......

300 yds is realistic for most cartridges to shoot well without beating you up or costing you a ton for ammo.

As to what to pick?

If you are going to hunt it on the carry, I like to avoid a heavy wall barrel (stuff labelled like varmint/police/sniper) at the end of the day a 10 lb gun makes your arms feel like they are dragging the ground.

Handle a few, see how they feel in hand.

Much of this is subjective for the individual shooter; most modern medium priced guns all shoot great.

I dont mind the heavy guns. My Slug gun I use is 15Lbs and I love the weight of it....To the other people who say 100 to 300 isnt really long distance. Let me refrase, the fields I have available to me are 100 to 300 yards. I would like a rifle that not only will be (one-holers) but will also be excellant at farther distances once dialed in correctly. I had a H&R survivor in .308 I have tried many different types of ammo out of it and the most accurate was at 50 to 75 yards.... However I tend to set blame to the barrel it was a 20". Now my buddy bought the H&R ultra hunter in .308 and after looking at all the specs comparing the two the only thing different internally and externally was the stock and the length of the barrel he had a 24" He was shooting the same ammo as I was and he was putting each bullet in the same hole one after the other. Price wise that H&R was great (279$) but the dont want another single shot break action. I have tried Remmy core lokt in 150 gr and 180 gr, winchester Power point in 150 and 180 gr hornady 165gr. etc most of the top manufacturers.

Edited by apoallo

With a good single shot, it doesn't matter if you are left or right handed. You just have to be a good shot, and not rely on a magazine full of bullets to back you up. If neither of those calibers suit your fancy, I would look at the 308. A very good round also.

I agree with you 100% about a good single shot. I used a single shot break action slug gun. Its a H&R ultra slug hunter deluxe. for being a shotgun I can get my slugs pretty close to touching each other at 120 yards. I love my shotgun and it is my go to gun for hunting. However, as a lefty shooter most of my rifles I do own are semi autos and are desgned for right handed shooters. My just want one lefty botl action rifle thats all. I dont need a .300 win mag but everyone wants the biggest gun(most of the time) I would go with a 270, 7mm, I just dont want to break the bank on ammo. I have even looked at and almost purchased a marlin 30-30 lever action, but didnt cuz I really want my lefty bolt action... I didnt know this thread was going to be such a big hit. lol very entertaining!

Maybe an Encore would be a "tack driver" for you. (All things being relevant)

Sounds like a big step forward over the H&R. Good luck.

Oh yea, WTF slug gun weighs 15lbs?

its the H&R ultra slug hunter deluxe from the factory it comes with a heavy Bull barrel and weighted buttstock.and comes in about 13 lbs after sling scope and some slugs on the side of buttstock to about 15lbs

its the H&R ultra slug hunter deluxe from the factory it comes with a heavy Bull barrel and weighted buttstock.and comes in about 13 lbs after sling scope and some slugs on the side of buttstock to about 15lbs

Holy Chit!!!!

You do really want a "track" driver <<<<a play on your title.

You need a bulldozer to carry that around. Just like a self propelled howitzer.

My 375 all up AND my 270 win with a red dot( but no ammo) weigh that much...... TOGETHER!

LOL

Anyways, as a lefty you are a touch limited to some choices in a bolt gun. But common calibers are availible in several makes; Rem/Savage/Ruger et al.

Put a 3-9x40 or 50 on top for a couple hundred.........go kill stuff.

lol a few of my friends that hunt/shoot didnt believe me, when I frist set it up.. untill they saw and held it... then they shot it at 120 yards and went and bought one of their own. anyways thanks for all those who gave advice / opinions on makes calibers etc. I will explore more into those brands. The only part of my original post that wasnt answered was the differences between the 700 models (ADL,BDL,CDL XCR,SRS) I realize some are more varmit than big game rifles

Edited by apoallo

The only part of my original post that wasnt answered was the differences between the 700 models (ADL,BDL,CDL XCR,SRS) I realize some are more varmit than big game rifles

It was a grading system to target a different level of finish.

The issue can be Rem liked to change these a bit over time.

They 2 different action lengths to add even more combinations.

But in general the A deluxe, B Deluxe, C deluxe improved in features and finishes as they go up the scale.

IIRC A models are a blind box magazine, no floor plate. B+C have floor plates.

The guns get their new abbreviations like SPS=Special Purpose Synthetic; could have stainless, coated, heavy wall varmint etc.....but all with tupperware stocks.

XCR=Xtreme Conditions Rifle, they have a vapor deposition coating over stainless.(I have another type of this coating in another brand rifle and its dang good)

Etc Etc.

Almost always Varmint branded guns feature heavier barrels, smaller bores. Mountain guns tend to be lighter in weight. Sendero or x-treme range are long barrels to make the most of a powder charge of a magnum round.

Look at weights and barrel lengths is specs when you want to compare across manufacturers.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Dinsdale

• 3 weeks later...

SNIP....

"Some Weatherby® Mark V® rifles (.257 Wby. Mag. - .460 Wby. Mag.) can be ordered as a left hand model. For more information, please call the Weatherby Custom Shop at (805) 227-2600."

I was just looking at the Weatherby's on GunBroker and there are a couple of lefty's out there.

Most Likely 300WM's but worth a look.

Bill