Deer baiting

Naturegirlfromny

Cheaters do it for the attention and acceptance. Hug your kids, be a good parent, and they won't grow up to be cheaters and attention wh---s. Same mentality as the guy that shot a farm deer and tried to claim it was fair chase. It starts with knowing who you are and being content with it.

If it was legal, by all means go for it.

Lot of people live and work on farms and have animals they need to feed. I'm sure thats why they sell the product.

As far as baiting who knows.... Never really tried it...

Actually farmers have a lot cheaper places to buy feed than Dicks. The stuff sold at Dicks, Gander mountain, Bass-pro, etc. are strictly designed and marketed for hunting/baiting purposes.

• Like 3

Question-I have access to an area that produces a large quanity of acorns. If I collect these and spread them about in the area that I hunt, is this baiting? I know what the answer is but was just curious what others think

I would say that, yes, according to the law, this would be considered baiting. I would set up on the thickest edge of said oak stand, about 20-30 yards off into the thick stuff in the hopes of catching a buck crusing by to check for hot does at the food source.

They sell stuff because it is legal in other states, If someon leases ground in a state that allows baiting or 3 blade rage or whatever NY deems illegal they don't want to exclude a possible sale. Does it promote illegal activity and get use 99% that way, most likely but the law does not prevent the sale of the product

I know its different for the guys who hunt on or near farmlands, but if baiting were allowed here in NY, hunting in Putnam County would be extremely easy in the beginning. There are barely any food sources in my area. If I setup a feeder with corn, I would have all the deer in the area coming to my feeder. I know somebody who used to bait with a feeder and he would have 1,000+ pics per day on his trail camera and that is not a typo. Then on opening morning of archery every year, he and his friends would each get a nice buck before noon.

Question-I have access to an area that produces a large quanity of acorns. If I collect these and spread them about in the area that I hunt, is this baiting? I know what the answer is but was just curious what others think

yes it is.

Just to keep it going....and to be a pain LOL!... Say a tree has apples on it but none have dropped yet. If I shake the tree, causing apples to fall all over the ground under it. Then I shoot a deer that was feeding under that tree. Did I bait??

What if I eat an apple for lunch and leave the apple core on the ground. Would that be baiting?

Some guys love apples. They like to bring 20 apples each day to eat while hunting. Problem is that they always wear the pants with the holes in the pockets. So the 20 apples fall out of their pocket each day.

• Like 3

As usual it turns to a bash food plots. I love the generic stuff that hunters who plant food plots trespass and all that. I have turned down 4 deer this week, because they were close to the neighbors line, and did not want to risk them crossing over. You might want to get some facts before you spew the crap. And I find in my area that if I plant food plots, I have more people trespassing on me to try to shoot a deer in one.

he said people who bait, not use food plots..

• Like 1

Just to keep it going....and to be a pain LOL!... Say a tree has apples on it but none have dropped yet. If I shake the tree, causing apples to fall all over the ground under it. Then I shoot a deer that was feeding under that tree. Did I bait??

No, as long as they grew on the tree and they were left where they fell off of the tree and not piled up.

• Like 1

I've never baited but one has to wonder what the real difference is between that and laying out a scent trail and mock scrapes and such..

Years ago one of my favorite spots was in an apple orchard...if you could call it that...it had 4 trees that were planted just for the purpose of bringing deer into this small field. The trees were mature...had to be many years old...so at what point does it stop being baiting and start being just a hunter sitting over some apple trees that had been planted by a guy who is long since dead on land now owned by the state?...

I am not talking about stuff to grow food plots etc.. It was a big square container of some type of deer attractant. I guess a "supplemental feed". I think ENCON ticketing someone for hunting over a field that was spread with manure is ridiculous! @Bubba I am not sure what rubbish and crap you are referring to unless it was someone elses comment. I am just wondering why stores are allowed to sell something that is illegal to use. Thanks for the answers all!

What if I eat an apple for lunch and leave the apple core on the ground. Would that be baiting?

I actually know a guy that got ticketed for doing just that. Ate an apple and tossed it on the ground. DEC was watching him through Binos. I think the part that got him was he shot a doe soon after that.