Deer baiting

Naturegirlfromny

While I was at Dick's a couple weeks ago I noticed a couple young men at the checkout buying big 5 gal pails of some sort of deer feed/attractant. I asked them as a fellow hunter why they buy it. They mumbled something about "building up the deer". Then practically ran out of the store. Why do stores sell this stuff marketing specifically for feeding to deer when it is illegal to feed deer or hunt near or over a bait pile? I am just a little confused! Maybe more experienced hunters can clear this up for me!

Sounds like they were masters at baiting!! :lol: It is illegal to use bait for deer, or feed deer, with any store bought bait at all. My cousins dumb arse just got fined for this , used corn and his neighbor turned him in. Lost his doe he just shot and the tag plus 250 dollar fine. Only exception is food plots which are legal baiting. I find that most people who bait illegally in NY are also prone to Tresspass and poaching so its just like drugs. You start out lite with baiting and then you'll see what else you can get away with.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7197.html

Part 189 of Title 6 of the Codes, Rules and Regulations of the State of New York was last amended on July 28, 2010. Part of this rule restricts the feeding of deer and moose.

In New York, it is illegal to feed deer and moose by putting out any material that attracts them to feed.

There are five exceptions to the rule:

1. Agricultural crops including wildlife food plots.
  2. Distribution of food to livestock.
  3. Distribution of food to captive deer and elk.
  4. Cutting of trees and brush.
  5. Scientific research, wildlife damage abatement, and wildlife population reduction programs, but only under a permit issued by DEC.

What is the penalty for violating the feeding regulation?

The penalty for illegally feeding deer or moose is a violation punishable by a fine of up to $250 and 15 days in jail for each day of the offense. Multiple offenses may result in the revocation of hunting, fishing and/or trapping privileges for up to five years

(f) Feed or Feeding means the act of using, placing, giving, exposing, depositing, distributing or scattering any material, or any act to maintain the availability of such material, that attracts wild white-tailed deer to feed on such material including the distribution of such material in deer wintering areas

As some what stated before, it is not illegal for these items to be sold by store, what do they care they are just trying to make a profit. Another example is broadheads, store sell all kinds even the one classified as illegal in New York State.

For the stores it's all about the money. Then it's on the consumer to know if the items purchased are legal or not for hunting purposes.

I have bought some mineral licks for use in Ohio and also Virginia where it is/was legal.

A good mineral lick is a great way to get pics during the summer. But, being illegal for use here doesn't mean illegal for sale. Immoral? Maybe, but then there are legit uses to a very small degree.

It's on the buyer, not the seller.

As usual it turns to a bash food plots. I love the generic stuff that hunters who plant food plots trespass and all that. I have turned down 4 deer this week, because they were close to the neighbors line, and did not want to risk them crossing over. You might want to get some facts before you spew the crap. And I find in my area that if I plant food plots, I have more people trespassing on me to try to shoot a deer in one.

Edited by bubba

Ironically, the stores are actually not supposed to sell those items in New York. When they first passed the laws forbidding "baiting" or "feeding", there was a memo instructing the stores to take it off the shelves. Wal Mart actually pulled it under the new guidelines, along with other stores. Wonder how they're able to sell it again?

I got fined 2 years ago for "BAITING" i was hunting turkey in a corn field that was just freshley spread with manure and ENCON said it was bait.

Wow! There was literally a corn field, and you still got hit with a baiting charge??? That doesn't make any sense!

• Like 1

I got fined 2 years ago for "BAITING" i was hunting turkey in a corn field that was just freshley spread with manure and ENCON said it was bait.

That makes no sense at all . A person could hunt over crops ( corn , beans , apples , etc. ) and it would be legal unless the product was it in a pile .

I also call BS on the above post .

As usual it turns to a bash food plots. I love the generic stuff that hunters who plant food plots trespass and all that. I have turned down 4 deer this week, because they were close to the neighbors line, and did not want to risk them crossing over. You might want to get some facts before you spew the crap. And I find in my area that if I plant food plots, I have more people trespassing on me to try to shoot a deer in one. Besides why would I need to respass when my evil food plots are drawing deer in for at least a 20 mile radius to my property.

no it doesnt. Walmart here before season had "nutrition blocks" and deer cain liquid and concentrate. It went off the shelves very quickly.

That's pretty strange. I was actually working at Wal Mart in Fishkill at the time, in sporting goods, and we were told to pull it. Of course, I note how you stated that it flew off the shelves.........

by flew off the shelves, I meant it took a week and it was gone. My daughter works there. I asked her about it she said it is legal to sell not legal to use. They were supposed to inform every purchaser of that. So they put up a sign