is its big business and another factor is unless someone turns

people in who uses them the chances of getting caught are

real slim.The property next to ours last where the guys were

baiting got caught when we turned them in.They had to be

on stand and within 100 yds of the bait.The thing that really bothers

me is its illegal to feed let alone bait deer in ny yr round.guys if

you know someones doing it turn them in were all adults here do the

right thing.Its funny you walk in gandermountain the first thing you see

is jugs of sweet mixes and blocks of minerals.Its really a shame guys.

Just my opinion...I live in NJ...Baiting has been legal for over 15 years now...I have noticed that many hunters now rely on baiting to attract deer. They have lost or have never learned how to truly hunt...They walk in the woods, see some sign and drop a couple hundred pounds of bait and hang a stand...Does it work, yes they kill deer. Usually does and smaller bucks...I have seen bait sites in the middle of oak flats with acorns raining from the canopy...This past weekend I almost fell out of my treestand when a feeder went off about 60 yds away...Someone put a feeder in the middle of a bedding thicket...No wonder I didnt see any good bucks...

My point is, after many years of allowing baiting...We are seeing more and more hunters who have become reliant on baiting to kill deer...They believe it is the only way to kill deer on a regular basis...The baiters arguments are in suburban areas it draws deer to areas that they can legally hunt... While others cry that they need to use bait because everyone else is using it and changing the travel/feeding patterns..

I do not bait deer...There have been a few exceptions, Wounded Warriors hunt where I was a host and a couple of managed deer cull hunts in suburban neighborhoods...

Does baiting have its place, in some instances I believe it does...Do I think it is necessary to successfully deer hunt...NO...I hope NY never allows baiting...

I agree. I think it is the little side effects of baiting that are the worst impacts on hunting. Some of the things that you have mentioned come to mind. What it boils down to is that it is an attempt to condition deer and make them move out of their natural random patterns just to make them more available for killing and to concentrate deer onto the property of the baiter, away from those that do not use bait. And yes, it becomes a requirement because it does change deer natural patterns for those that don't rely on bait. There is also the potential for starting baiting wars where neighbors try to out-do (out-spend) each other in an attempt to "hoard" deer.

Of course the DEC has different reasons for outlawing baiting that regard herd health issues. But as for myself, I think that a baiting legality has the potential for changing the very nature of hunting for everybody whether you engage in it or not. And that change is not necessarily something that is good for hunting or hunters.

Funny thing this you can buy it but its illegal to use it

mentality.It really ticks me off about this.the bottom line here

is its big business and another factor is unless someone turns

people in who uses them the chances of getting caught are

real slim.The property next to ours last where the guys were

baiting got caught when we turned them in.They had to be

on stand and within 100 yds of the bait.The thing that really bothers

me is its illegal to feed let alone bait deer in ny yr round.guys if

you know someones doing it turn them in were all adults here do the

right thing.Its funny you walk in gandermountain the first thing you see

is jugs of sweet mixes and blocks of minerals.Its really a shame guys.

Im going to play devils advocate here and say that these products are indeed, legal to buy here and use. Its just not legal to use in NY. Its not the store's responsibility to make sure that people use products they sell in the correct, legal manner.

Im going to play devils advocate here and say that these products are indeed, legal to buy here and use. Its just not legal to use in NY. Its not the store's responsibility to make sure that people use products they sell in the correct, legal manner.

I agree that they are covered ..... legally. However there is a bit of a moral question in my mind when you consider that they are somewhat complicit in terms of providing materials for illegal hunter activity and most likely fully understand their part in that. One might think that a store that is 100% involved in hunting might consider and be sensitive to local hunting laws and their potential part in those laws being broken. Yes it is a bit of a sticky subject and I can see both sides of the issue. But I will say that if selling those products that are illegal to use here gives them enough income to offset any controversy then most likely it can be assumed that that level of sales does involve significant numbers of local customers that are using the product in an illegal fashion. If that is the case, then they know that they are promoting illegal acts, and simply don't care.

stores also sell guns. Couldn't you use a gun to kill a deer during bow season (which is obviously illegal)? Wouldn't the store then be selling a product that is contributing to laws being broken? Maybe guns should only be allowed to be sold after bow season. Where do you then draw the line? Stores cannot be held responsible if a legal product that they sell is used illegally.

i have a question, i went to the hunting expo in the beginning of the year and i sat in for Peter Fiduccia's talk seminar for a little bit while there. I know some guys love this man i happen to think hes a bit of a tool and i wonder how legal he keeps his hunts besides the fact he comes across like he kills the biggest deer ever and is the best.

but anyways, in his talk he stated about baiting being illegal, he then went into saying he uses fake apples and puts them in plastic bags along with some sort of apple flavoring or scent. He says he puts them around his stand to bring the deer in. i almost wanted to call him out on it but i took it in and took it for what it was... Is this legal?

stores also sell guns. Couldn't you use a gun to kill a deer during bow season (which is obviously illegal)? Wouldn't the store then be selling a product that is contributing to laws being broken? Maybe guns should only be allowed to be sold after bow season. Where do you then draw the line? Stores cannot be held responsible if a legal product that they sell is used illegally.

i mean i wouldnt entirely compare the two but i see what your getting at. however guns can be used in and out of deer season for other uses... bait is strictly for feeding wildlife, its illegal anytime of the year.

The use of guns is not specifically contrary to NYS laws. The use of bait is. That's where I would draw the line. Note that the stores do not sell illegal guns. I just think that the stores that do business in this state should respect the intent as well as the letter of local laws.

Unfortunately Doc, stores could care less of intent as you know. Does intent impact their bottom line?

Yeah, I realize that. It just would be nice if stores made a few decisions based on being good community citizens. I know when I see businesses ignoring negative local impacts I tend to shop elsewhere. Especially if it's a blatent disregard for conservation law (legal or not). I would like to be able to say that I no longer shop at Gander Mountain because of this policy, but basicly I stopped shopping there for a whole lot of other reasons a long time ago.....lol.

Selling bait at outdoor sporting stores is one of the most ridiculous things I have seen being done. I imagine Bass Pro and Cabelas do the same? It is an easy line to draw though. Baiting is illegal, stores should not be allowed to sell bait. As to what you want to define as bait, I don't care if the only products they outlaw are those promoted as deer feed. I know you can't stop people from bying bait from farm stores, but that is not the issue. A store that caters to hunters should not be promoting baiting, and by selling bait you are promoting it. You cannot say they are selling it for those who go out of state or for farmers, that is ridiculous. If that were the case, why do they suddenly stock up right before hunting season. It is not just the chain stores that do this unfortunately. The local sportsman store sells some deer feed as well. I don't really think we can do anything about it, other than hold each accountable. The demand for bait is the real issue. The stores are just an insult to outdoorsmen.

By the way, this is a statement from Gander Mountain's site.

"Gander Mountain has joined forces with a host of important outdoor groups, federations, and organizations who share our interest in preserving and managing the natural resources of North America. Together, we strive toward the common goal of bettering the outdoor experience for generations to come."

How is promoting an illegal activity bettering the outdoor experience?

While I was at Dick's a couple weeks ago I noticed a couple young men at the checkout buying big 5 gal pails of some sort of deer feed/attractant. I asked them as a fellow hunter why they buy it. They mumbled something about "building up the deer". Then practically ran out of the store. Why do stores sell this stuff marketing specifically for feeding to deer when it is illegal to feed deer or hunt near or over a bait pile? I am just a little confused! Maybe more experienced hunters can clear this up for me!

same reason they sell crossbows and 3 barbed broadheads. both of which are illegal. You can also buy a pipe or bong to smoke weed which is illegal to use, but it's not illegal to sell and people buy them. My 3rd analogy? fireworks. PA residence can't buy them, NYS residence cant bring them into the state, but yet there's superstores at every exit. lol.

how about scent dispersal systems? I use them like my 4 year old uses legos..... Is that baiting? noooooo

Somehow, baiting has taken on the meaning as only being products that can be ingested. At least that seems to be the general opinion. Aerosol products do not fit that meaning.

sure is for archery.

Not to nit-pick, but the crossbow is absolutely a legal hunting implement during the regular gun season and therefore has a legitimate reason for being on the shelves of sporting goods departments and other stores. Which of course is the relative point in this discussion.