Loose Ibex roaming in Upstate

Deerthug

Found out today that there is a loose Ibex that escaped about 4 weeks ago from a local game farm. Heard from our neighbor that the DEC has been up and down the road abutting the land I hunt every night this past week. DEC wants to take it out so it won't breed with the local whitetails. My Bro in law is up there today hoping to hook up with a DEC Econ officer tonight and get permission to take it out. What do you think the chances are that DEC will give him/us permission to take it out? If we take it out, I wonder if they'll let us keep it for mounting purposes?

My question would be why they assume an Ibex would breed with a deer?? This would be similar to a bighorn sheep breeding with a deer. Maybe a deer could produce young if inseminated by an Ibex in captivity, but I bet it's next to impossible in the wild.

As I understand it there were two that escaped - not sure if both male or one was female. But the male has been spotted on our land. None of the locals or DEC have seen the female. I guess they don't want the two hooking up and having a family. Would be fun though to take one B) . I could always tell people as I'm pointing to it on my wall "Oh yeah I took him out when I was on my trip to the mountains of Turkey" LOL.

I don't know anything regarding the DEC letting you take it, but I do know that a goat and a deer might be able to "mate"...but no baby 'geer' or 'doats' would come around in the spring. I really hope that isn't the excuse the DEC used when they said they wanted to take it out haha :laugh:

...It would be pretty great if they gave you the go-ahead to take a crack at it.

Edited by Muthers

I had ibex loin in Spain; it was very good.

There are something like 20 varieties in SCI's book.

Theres a bunch of goat farms around here, I'd be more inclined to think thats what they ment.

A goat is not going to breed a deer as many have stated here.

As to shooting, there was a Red deer around Pine Plains/Gallatin area a few years ago and the green light was given to shoot on sight by anyone. But sometimes these can get sticky with livestock ownership. Someone shot an angus steer that was loose out by me, and they had to pay the owner for it. I had 2 pigs get out and told everyone to blast away, but they came back 2 days later and went back to their pen. Guess corn is sweeter than wintered over acorns and such. LOL

I agree Dom. Us Greeks like to eat Lamb and Goat . . . (Steve863 - BE NICE!)

You say you want to "take it out".....

What do you want to do, SHOOT the critter, or DATE it ??....

As far as DEC is concerned, since it is a non-native species, I suspect it is a civil matter, rather than an Encon matter. It would be considered property, rather than a game animal.

A few years ago a red stag escaped from a local preserve during deer season (poor timiing). A hunter shot it and the owner tried to collect the carcass from the guy who shot it, but he would not give it up. Since the beast was an unregulated game animal and was far from the property where it belonged, the owner did not have a leg to stand on, and the hunter kept the animal.

By the way, I ain't GREEK, but I love lamb,,,

I only ate goat once, on a business trip to Monterrey, Mexico in 1977. I went to a restaurant with a few people from the plant I was working at. The menu offered a hind leg from a kid goat. I ordered it, and it was very good..I would compare the flavor to domestic rabbit..

I also remember that the cerveza frio was excellent, and the senoritas were BEAUTIFUL...

• Like 3