Safety harness saves another

NYbuck50

I would not be embarrased at all, the harness did it's job and he lived to tell about it hoping the guys who dont think they need the harness read this

Although they don't need or want it..... kudos to my brother firemen for getting him out of the tree I'm quite sure it was not an easy job .

So, exactly how do you get a full-grown man out of a tree when he's dangling a bunch of feet off the ground. I've been trying to picture how I would go about it, but I can only visualize one rescuer on the ladder at a time. I suppose they may have gotten the ladder next to the guy so he could get on it. But supposedly he had some sort of ankle injury. Also they had to unfasten him from the tether. It's the kind of thing that sounds like it might be pretty easy to say, but not so easy to do .... lol.

So, exactly how do you get a full-grown man out of a tree when he's dangling a bunch of feet off the ground. I've been trying to picture how I would go about it, but I can only visualize one rescuer on the ladder at a time. I suppose they may have gotten the ladder next to the guy so he could get on it. But supposedly he had some sort of ankle injury. Also they had to unfasten him from the tether. It's the kind of thing that sounds like it might be pretty easy to say, but not so easy to do .... lol.

With this type of rescue I would have to say some sort of come along or pully system using FD ladders with the victim secured in a stokes basket, then lowered to the ground would be my guess

If anyone on here is from the BCS FD or a neighboring FD with knowledge of the incident that could share the particulars of the rescue would be appreciated.

safety harnesses, will either kill ya or save ya...they say suspension trauma is not a bad way to go, you just kinda fall a sleep and your friends find you there hangin like a side o beef.

My friends would think I was a pinata and beat me with sticks to see if any candy would fall out. :hang::aikido:

Edited by erussell
  • Like 1

safety harnesses, will either kill ya or save ya...they say suspension trauma is not a bad way to go, you just kinda fall a sleep and your friends find you there hangin like a side o beef.

I keep a small pocket knife right on my 20ft up harness for this situation.. i figure if i fall, the harness will keep me from breaking my neck, and once im hanging, bear hug the tree, cut the harness, and slide down it.. havent had to try this yet thankfully

I carried folks down ladders over my shoulder while I wore 60 pounds of gear, you do what you have too,but thats with smoke and flames coming out the windows.. But in this case I'd think he'd be tied off from above and lowered. You could try 2 ladders at 90 degrees to each othe and 2 guys to carry him, but thats far from ideal. A flat rung against a tree and all. Depends if a guy is in good conditon you'll take your time and do it with upmost safety,if he's in bad shape and needs advanced care you'll you might just climb one ladder and carry him.

I have a ladder at home with a top rung made for poles and trees, never seen one on the job though.

If using screw in steps its not a bad idea to have a few near the top of the non climbing side....

Edited by Larry302

Ya I work for a 450 man FD,its all you hear at work from Aug to Christmas there are so many hunters . Opening day of gun is one of the most sought after tricks off, right after Christmas and 4th of july .

The joke is your man asking " can you come in a little early tomorrow"? "sure what time ? " ah...4:30 AM ?

I don't know how he ended up upside down either, did not read it first time.