Opening Day Hangovers

RTF

Fair enough, good to stick to your moral convictions.

For me, if I opt to have one - MAYBE two, beers after a day of hunting, I will. It is not impacting me waking up in the a.m. to hunt, nor anyone else's well being. If someone doesn't want to drink a beer, it doesn't bother me. Most nights I don't even think about grabbing a beer. What does bother me is when someone gets on the high horse about it and takes unrealstic fear mongering to the extreme. You can see it in this thread even.

This coming from someone who has maybe 1-2 beers a week max in any given week, and I bet I go more weeks in year without a sip of alcohol than the ones where I do have a beer.

Rather hunt with a hangover than a cold with a fever.I have done both.I have been out in 2 ft of snow hile i was sick as all heck.Sipping on a dayquill bottle.Sucking on Leudins.Saw nothing and thought it was still a good time.

Been so hung over couldn't see straight from the head ache.By the time the sun came up i was better but still not great.I felt better later that day than if i had slept.Gotta burn out the hang over.My gun never even go loaded on that one occasion.

• Like 1

a couple times a year i get shnit faced at the bar while out in the country i just park in the far back of the parking lot pass out in my truck and back in my stand in the morning just remember to wear your safety harness and strap into the tree or get in the fetal position and pass back out at the bottom of your tree lol

on weekends when im gonna hunt both days i drive out by myself and usually sleep in my truck or toss my hammock in a tree i dont have a camp that i stay at so to pass the time after the afternoon hunt and in between when im gonna go to sleep ill usually stop at the bar for some dinner and a drink some times its just the one drink and other times its more.

I say its all part of the experience. People have their own choices on what they want to do the night before. I've been at the bar till all hours of the night years ago and spent opening morning trying to shake off the night before. But now a days me and my hunting buddys just meet up and relax and maybe have a few. Its my one weekend a year that no matter what is going on I can get away from it all.

When the SZ use to start on Monday, we'd party it up on Saturday night, have some fun, try not to get too fuzzy, and still have Sunday to sleep late, watch the games, relax and get ready for the hunt. Now, we head up Friday, but we just don't drink as much. (At least opening week, the 3rd weekend is up for grabs). We go through a couple of kegs each year, but we don't allow drinking during the day. Ain't gonna happen. You drink, you stay in camp. Besides, on Friday, we bring everything up to camp to chow down on and it's a real eat fest. Smoked turkey, marinated tenderloins on the grill, venison pepperoni, spaghetti & meatballs, and I bring up all the antipast from Arthur Avenue cause I live close enough to the city. We throw the BS around, 12 of the 25 guys usually stay in camp, bed by 10:00 up at 4:00 out by 5:00. It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it. If your blessed enough to have a camp like ours, with a great bunch of guys who take hunting seriously, and still have some fun, then that's all you really need. :drinks:

WNY, your right about killing a way of life for the people who depended on that extra income. That Saturday and Sunday was a boom to a lot of businesses in New York State and they really didn't think it through. I enjoy having more rifle time, cause I didn't take off the last Monday and Tuesday of the season to hunt. But, I think what they should of done was just extend it to include the Wed to Sun, then have the late archery and muzzle after that. In this way, businesses would have the needed jolt before the season, and an extra weekend after !! Just what this economy needs!

Edited by accman

Honestly:when i am hung over laying in bed my head hurts so bad i have to get up.I can't lay there.It hurts no matter what.I roll over it hurts.I lay there staring at ceiling it hurts.So i get up,eat asprin,and drink a coffee.I have to be awake and work off my hangover or it will hurt worse.Been that way ever since my first one.I seldom drink that much that i have a hangover.Or maybe i have a tolerance built up?LOL.IDK.

Opening day eve i don't get hammered.Especially during bow.That day i go to bed early.Gun opener i go to bed early too just because i wanna get in stand WAYYY EARLY.Let the yahoos send em my way.

• 2 weeks later...

Same here. I think it shows a much higher level of dedication to drag yourself out of bed and get into the woods when you are hung over. Anyone can hunt when they feel good.

i see your angel but disagree. i think it shows more dedication to say no to the drink the night before so that you're not napping and clear headed when a shot does present itself.

The hunting camp thing is common. i know guys that go to camps and never hunt, it's a social thing. for us it's always been the night of opening day. we all hunt then go back and have tons of food, watch some football and drink some beers while hopefully looking at some deer hanging. some of us have just a few and retire early to hunt the next day. In fact i've killed more deer sunday then on saturday.

a couple times a year i get shnit faced at the bar while out in the country i just park in the far back of the parking lot pass out in my truck and back in my stand in the morning just remember to wear your safety harness and strap into the tree or get in the fetal position and pass back out at the bottom of your tree lol

just so you know, if your keys are on you whether you're in the back and they're in your packet or in the ignition you can still get a dwi. I dont make the laws but you should know this.

Edited by Belo

I've been to southern deer camps, where drinking was part of the deal. Now, mind you, it was at camp, not hunting, and no firerarms or bows were handled. Most often it was done while playing some cards and just BSing. As long as it is in control, I see nothing wrong with it. I never once saw a reason to be concerned in all of my time there, and that club had 40 members.

Edited by Belo

You cannot get a DWI just because you are in your car sleeping off a hang over and the keys are in your pocket. You have to have the intent to drive. Meaning the vehicle first must be running and second must be on public property.

1st he was in the bar parking lot, not his house

2nd yes you can. happened to my friend.

Edited by Belo

haha, well hope he has a good attorney because in NY state you can not receive a DWI on private property ie:private bar parking lot and the car most def. needs to be running. Your friend got the Sh** end of that deal.

so you're saying if someone is slumped over the wheel drunk in a private parking lot, they can't be arrested for dwi?

in most cases i would say the reason the police would even be there to investigate was that they received a call about the person driving "recklessly" in that case as long as a witness can prove that the person behind the wheel was actually the operator at the time and is willing to fill out a 710.30 statement form and sign it then yes he can be arrested. Otherwise no if its private property he or she cannot be charged with a DWI

so you're saying if someone is slumped over the wheel drunk in a private parking lot, they can't be arrested for dwi?

i dont remember if he was still at the bar or had driven a while then pulled over and got in the back, but hew was arrested. Moral of the story is that I'd be careful. Cops watch bars.

You cannot get a DWI just because you are in your car sleeping off a hang over and the keys are in your pocket. You have to have the intent to drive. Meaning the vehicle first must be running and second must be on public property.

and for what it's worth, I certainly wouldn't live by that advice.