Wood Platform Stand, #1 Done and up!

burmjohn

Based on everyone's recommendations here and friends, I put up my first single tree platform stand.  Wow I am impressed, not sure why I didnt consider this before, I always used to pick three tree's then build a nice stand.  Now with just one tree, there is that much less chance of crap coming loose....    The next one I built I'll prob make the ladder at a slightly less angle, but I tell you what, its really really nice having it at that angle.  And the stand is lag bolted to the tree, in addition to having a support board under it that is lag bolted.  This thing ain't going ANYWHERE.  I added the railings, which are solid, and also band ironed them to the tree in the back.  I screwed the seat in to the floor as well, its really a solid big stand.  All treated wood as well, and will prob be up longer then I live.

What ya think?

[smg id=311]

[smg id=310]

This is what the area is like below the stand around it... Deer crap and trails all over, with an awesome valley view down the hill / mtn with a view up at a nice valley and peak.

[smg id=312]

[smg id=313]

[smg id=314]

Looks solid alright! maybe it's the view from the ground but I think the railings especially the center are high. Might make it difficult to pull a shot unless your standing. If it's only around 10' are you going to staple some camo jazz on the sides?

I might find some flat grey - bark color and spot the suppports / ladder.

Yeah I debated for a while for the right hight for the railings.... But I really won't know till the first season, so if need be, i'll cut them down, but to be honest, I am not a sitter (which can be a bad thing).  So anyways, if I am standing, and leaning over for a rifle shot, then it will be OK.  In addition, they are low enough to not get in the way with my bow. I will camo burlap the whole stand as well, once bow season comes with zip ties.    Regarding the stand lifting, yeah I am sure that might happen, but I put it up on a slight downward angle (Umm on purpose lol, not) , so I can adjust it in a few years by loosening the lag bolts and pushing the ladder inwards if need be.

Looks pretty good!  I personally would have made the railing shorter from front to back.  Make them more like armrests.  The height seems fine but having the railing in front of you and on the corners seems a bit limiting IMO.  The angle of the ladder is definitely a bit steep.  Reduce that on your next one.  For the seat, see if you can locate some kind of cushion to use.  It'll make the long sits more comfortable. 

As for blending in the stand:  I would simply zip tie some various branches and so forth to the sides of the stand.  Real ones work for awhile until the leaves fall off.  Old fake Christmas tree branches work well too and last a long time. 

No need to worry about the ladder lifting. trees don't grow up. the grow out at the tip of the branches...tip of the roots and out in diameter.(Otherwise 100 year old barbed wire fences would be like closeline height...lol) So as long as that connection stay solid you are golden.

Good point, I dont know why I was thinking that lol.

That stand is an absolute "thing of beauty". It really looks like a very professional job. Speaking of those railings, the only thing with the height is that they are suitable for a good gun rest. Nd it looks like they are. The other thing is that they are not too high to interfere with any close-ish bow shots. I built a stand years ago that I referred to as my "condo". What I did find out was that the railings that I put on it were positioned so that they interfered with arrow clearance when it came to close bow shots.

The reason I mentioned the kind of tree that it was built into is because of the emerald ash borer which is sweeping through NYS. This may be a case of the stand lasting longer than the tree. My understanding is that no ash tree will be safe from these things, and they can kill a tree in pretty short order. This is something anyone building permanent tree stands is going to have to be mindful of from now on.

Doc

I knew where you were going with that first comment Doc. It does look like an ash tree to me. The nice thing about his design....unbolt it and go.

I am hearing too that they have already taken seed to storage in hopes that after this passed they may be able to re-establish them once the EAB move on for lack of trees. I have heard reports that in as little as ten years none may be left...who knows for sure

You need to put something on it ( paint , stain , etc ) to get it to blend in . It really stands out in the woods .

Um, not sure if you were aware but trees do not grow up  ;D  They grow from the top, they grow out meaning they have a growth ring year to year making them bigger around but nothing you attached to the tree will be any higher than it was 50 years before.  Haven't you ever seen a wire fence going through a tree?