Bear kills Cow near Wheeler,NY

JJNY

Last weekend while we were hunting, the neighbor informs us that a couple guys came through his property with dogs tracking a bear they said had killed a nearby farmers cow. They said that the DEC had given them the OK to kill it.Anyone hear anything about this? Was the bear ever found and killed?

• 2 weeks later...

Black Bear killing a cow ???????? Highly unlikely.

Really? Cows really aren't that hard to kill, especially if the cow was sick, old, in labor, etc. Also most people labal all bovines as "cows" whether they are 2 days old or 2 years old. I have heard of bears grabbing calves out of hutches on dairy farms in northern NY.

Last weekend while we were hunting, the neighbor informs us that a couple guys came through his property with dogs tracking a bear they said had killed a nearby farmers cow. They said that the DEC had given them the OK to kill it.Anyone hear anything about this? Was the bear ever found and killed?

That sounds like BS. to me. Usually wildlife agencies dispatch of problem bears themselves. I find it hard to believe they would give permission to a bunch of hunters to trespass on someone else's land.

That sounds like BS. to me. Usually wildlife agencies dispatch of problem bears themselves. I find it hard to believe they would give permission to a bunch of hunters to trespass on someone else's land.

• 1 month later...

had a bear kill one of my neighbors goats a couple of years back. big old fella. my kids woke me up about midnight crying something was eating the goats. I got over there with a 44 and the bear is walking away with the goats head in its mouth dragging the body between its legs and my female neighbor is beating the bear on the back with a rake cursing at it to let go of the goat. Cop showed up and told me if I get a shot at it take the shot. I figured too many houses around I'd let them handle it. over the next six hours they must have shot it 30 times w/ 223 buckshot 9mm and 40. the bear would hide for a while under the trampolin and come out and try to move around again. the bear looked like a hole in the night it was that black

I would believe it cows are pretty dumb and can be snuck up on pretty easily, face it they don't get hunted by predators much if at all anymore in the east. bears are strong and fast, seen their damage to a barn they wanted to get in at the cow feed(corn and oats n such) rip a 2x6 in half with one swipe, wouldn't take much to rip a cow's neck to shreds.

I know of several bears that were killed by hunteres using dogs to track them, after the DEC had given them permits to do so, and depending on where exactly this happened, fellow farmers might not complain in the least bit to the "tresspass" if it involves a nuisence bear

The story is true. It happened on my uncle's brother-in-laws farm in Wheeler. The bear was a 300 lb male...it was radio collared and monitored as part of a study by Cornell University. Over 3 weeks in mid-October through early November this guy broke into the barn 4 times and killed 3 pigs and 5 calves (not full grown cows) in the 150-250 lbs range. The DEC sent a guy with bear dogs down to try to kill it but the bear eluded them. They placed a barrel trap outside of the barn...this is where the bear was ultimately captured and destroyed.

I've got pics. but my photobucket account isn't working at the moment...

I would believe it cows are pretty dumb and can be snuck up on pretty easily, face it they don't get hunted by predators much if at all anymore in the east. bears are strong and fast, seen their damage to a barn they wanted to get in at the cow feed(corn and oats n such) rip a 2x6 in half with one swipe, wouldn't take much to rip a cow's neck to shreds.

ur right cows are dumb!!! exept when they are doin something they KNOW they shouldnt...