20 years--- 300+ deer

G-Man

Well I'ved owned my property for 20 hunting seasons now. Much has changed been improved and grown up. Passed a milestone this year taking the 300th deer off the property with the first deer of gun season, and added a few more in the last two weeks. Some large bucks and a lot of smaller ones have been taken as well as the plentiful doe! The Basic group is ten hunters,with occasional guests. Most are friends and family and all have helped reach this milestone and looking back at the logbook and reading the stories bring back a flood of memories. How many out there keep records for their camp? Do you manage your land or just let nature take its course? Camp is the main reason i seem to hunt now and my camp lost a good friend and hunter to a freak accident this summer a man taken way to early in life who touched countless peoples lives threw his teaching and coaching. He is the second of the first hunters to pass and i am afraid he won't be the last as several are approching advanced age. They are of course given the best stands close to the cabin and my main goal is just to keep them hunting. the knowledge, and the stories they have are amazing! Best of luck the rest of the season to all those who cherish their camp!!

• Like 7

My hunting club has been around since 1991, same property, and the 2 original founders are still there hunting. We've had as many as 11 members but now have 8. I've only been a member since 2000, so I don't know the total amount of deer taken. I do know in 2004 we set a hunting camp best when we shot 43 deer. I'm sure we are close to 300 total and I could prob call the president now and he could give me an exact count. He has kept track in a log book since the inception. He records sex, weight, weather conditions, hunter, weapon, and stand location. I'm looking forward to passing my memories on to my kids, like he has done with us.

• Like 1

That's awesome, congrats. My dad and I also keep a log each year.

This is his 42nd year hunting whitetail in NY. He has 25 NY bucks. He had big gaps of years between getting bucks when he hunted the catskills for many years. Since we got access to property locally in 1993, my Dad has done much better. Probably like 15+ bucks in the last 20 years.

This is my 13th year hunting whitetail in NY. I got my 6th NY buck this year. 5th in the last 6 years. I didn't hunt much from the ages of 18-22.

We each have a book, where we put a 1 page story about our success of each deer with a few pictures. It's cool looking back at my deer from years ago. It's even cooler, to look back at my Dad's book and see stories from the late 1960's, etc. Those were on a typewriter lol.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 2

My club has been in existance since the 50's. My father became a member in 58 and I started in 68. I wish we had logs started in the beginning of the camp, just to see what the harvests were, number of guys, number of bucks and pts taken. Just seeing the names and reminiescing is what camps are all about. "Remember the time...." seems to be the order of every night stories in camp and keeps it's members alive, even when they've been long past. What's sad is seeing more and more of the area developing, and cutting in on the areas for deer to run, and where we once put on drives, are new beautiful homes. But, hey, we can still hunt, have plenty of acres, we know who's in the woods, and take hunting seriously and have fun at the same time. Congratulations on your milestone and here's to the next 300!!! :drinks:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...