2012 /13 trapping harvest thread

Kludes

great job, My only question is why would you post pics of them in the traps, don't you have others that would maybe not put a negative look on the sport, Seeing that anybody can look at these pics, I'm all for trapping , Now pics of your catch after removing them from the traps that would be cool, But hanging from a tree by one foot isn't something that portrays trapping in a positive way, Kinda like the anti hunting pic on face book of the fawn that came from a doe some hunter shot, everybody who hunts knows that deer birth in the spring, but it only takes 1 bad pic to put a lot of negative thoughts into it, especially to uneducated non hunters or anti hunters, But great job and just maybe for future reference when posting pics,

Lots of muddy hides from this fall!

A friend in Ontario County had around 70 red fox, 80 coon and 8 coyotes as of a couple weeks ago. He takes the first couple weeks of deer season off of trapping but has been back at it now for a week or so.

He's shooting for 100 fox and 10 coyotes via the trap line for the season. Then hunt coyotes with dogs during the winter and get a couple truck loads.

Im just saying that and that coon being illegal. You are not allowed to set a trap that might cause an animal to hang suspended in N.Y , I was just trying to save you all some other issues but if you must ask really, then YES really read your rules, I was trying to be nice, Sorry i had to point out the obvious and then post it clear as day on here for everybody to read, If you question what im saying im sure you will find the statement true by checking on NY.D.E.C its there plain as day, Again i was trying to be nice, I love to hunt but hate to see animals suffering and thats what that pic is displaying, Sorry dont like it dont post,

Yes, the suspended coon is in a completely illegal set.

Look I am an old trapper from way back, and I am proud to say so. However, it still is a good idea to use a bit of disgression when posting pics. You can pretty much tell what pics might be offensive to those that don't trap. There are times when you can be too graphic for our own good, and a poorly thought out picture certainly can convert a lot of non-trappers to anti-trappers. That's not something the activity needs these days.

• Like 3

I can see Docs point. It looks bad to have these animals caught in a trap alive. But I can also see the other side, having a successful set come in and being proud of the harvest. This is a real tough one. Welcome to the real world. The world of the hidden unknowns. I am neutral, in this matter right now.I trapped 35 years ago, and just took a refresher trapping coarse this past August, so I do have a little background.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

The coon bye some wild chance climbed a twig smaller than your finger off of the log in the water I had set for muskrat so nothing was targeted like that .... This site should be called grumpy old men of NY bash away..

Kludes;

I see your cable and it is obvious it pulled out the stake of a drowning set. Coons can climb on a thread of a vine, even with one foot in a trap as you learned. If you set a muskrat trap, you should always stake for coon. These days you should stake for coyotes actually.

Incidents happen in trapping, hunting, and driving cars. BUT: the public majority does not accept incidents from trapping and hunting. It creates opposition in most nuetral people and is used as ammo by hard wired antis. As someone who writes a lot of letters and public comment in defense of our sports, a picture like that is just creating work for me.

• Like 2

I'm not an anti anything, But i was trying to be nice and point out the obvious with out actually saying illegal, So the person who posted could maybe discover what was wrong and correct it, I once put a trail cam over a pile of corn that fell where the farmer combined the field and posted pics on my face book, D.E.C was at my house 2 days later ready to write tickets, until i showed him the spot, I was going to get arrested, Just saying this might be a website but it does have a real affect on peoples lives, And what you post can cause a person to get arrested, And i wasn't trying to bash you just help, but take it as you please, Mike Rossi is 100% correct by his statement, It doesn't matter what happened its what the pic portrayed, Hunting and trapping is a privilege and these days comes under fire alot, If a comment like i made about your pic angered you how are you gonna feel when its the center piece of a anti trapping revolution, And somebody who does not trap See's it and makes their decision on that pic alone, Oh by the way i also trap But have never posted a pic of an animal in a trap because of the negative affect they can have,

I did not realize there were anti's on here...

Im not Anti and Im not against trapping. Im just concerned there are people on here who are posting pics that are uncalled for and tasteless and can be used against you as animal torture. Use your F'n head!!!!! You trappers are your own worst enemys. I expect to see the pic of the Raccoon hanging by his leg on an anti site soon and someone should have the common decency to remove it. Trapping provides an invaluable service to game management and there are enough bone heads messing things up we dont need anymore.