european mount

josephmrtn

Take your time and cook 'em slow. Be as meticulous as possible getting all the flesh out of the nooks and crannies.

Degrease your skull thoroughly and when it's looking good, degrease it again before you begin the whitening process.

If it's not degreased propperly the oils will begin to seap through turning your skull yellow in a short time.

I boil them for a few days and it melts off all the flesh.

Boil it for a FEW days, is that a typo?

I slow cook mine in a 5gal bucket with a heating element from a hot water tank that is made to heat buckets of water. Only cook for about 8 hours then another couple hours to scrape 'em clean.

Hope you have a strong stomach........pulling eye balls & brains ain't for the weak.

I just used some kind of 40 percent peroxide or some thing from the beauty salon to whiten it , i actually over boiled this past one and the teeth were coming loose and the bones on the schnoz were really loose ,it all tightened back up once dry , one tip i have that i havent heard anyone doing is to final wash with oxy clean , i tried it a couple years ago because it was sitting there and every skull i have done comes out like a piece chalk ,very white.

oxy clean as in window cleaner?

sorry i forget what that is....

Its one of those everything cleaners , that coke head started selling it on tv infomercials and then it went main stream . Here is one i did ,you'll have to excuse the decorations but its a small price to pay to be able to hang deer skulls on the living room wall , G/F gets to hang stuff on them once a year.

post-2694-0-71979400-1355629093_thumb.jp

I just put some peroxide in an old spray bottle and taped off the base of the antlers then scrubbed lightly with an old tooth brush. Did that twice using a good bit of peroxide each time and came out pretty good. I like the paste idea though. Will have to try that next time.

I slow cooked(simmered) mine today for about 2 hours or so, I got about 85% of the flesh and cartiledge off. I will dip it again for another hour or so tomorrow with some Dawn, or Borax to hopefully release the rest of it and another session of sitting there picking all the stuff off. This is my first time trying this.

i actually found the smell not to bad... at first it smelled funny but by the time it was done i thought it smelled like cooking chicken... i could be wrong though... one thing i would strongly recommend is making sure that it hangs up off the bottom of the pot, mine was touching some and made some marks and left a little residue that was hard to get off... it didnt hurt the skull any i could see but it did make more work for me...