Hunting an antlerless buck..

wooly

As some here know, I already picked up a fresh match set of sheds from a nice 8pt earlier in the week.

That just got me thinking....... this is only for the sake of conversation and curiosity for me and not a decision I need to make.

Wondering who would purposely target a buck like this with no antlers if you still had an antlerless tag and already had his horns?

.....OR

Who would continue to hunt doe knowing some bucks may already be antlerless and mistaken for doe?

I know it's not a dillema we're faced with every day, so I thought the responces might be interesting.

So, what are the possibilities of a poacher knowingly shooting a big buck this time of year (with only an antlerless tag left) and then knocking the antlers off (to be picked up later). This time of the season, they probably would come off rather quickly and easily.

Guess its what you value. Do you value the rack or the challenge of taking a mature buck? I think I would pass on the antlerless bucks. If I'm going to chew on a venison flavored rubber boot I better have a set of antlers to look at.

Exactly. If they shed, then I would pass. If I already had his antlers why not let him grow new ones?