A Question

Hunter7mm-08

I have a question for anyone that hunts on state land (or anyone who wants to answer). I was hunting on Cornell land this past weekend and i found a number of stands and one stand had a sign that said not to hunt from my stand. I thought that was kinda strange; when i put a stand on state land and i am not using it i could careless if someone else using it. i would rather them use it than steal it. My question is: if you put a stand on state land, do you really think nobody else is going to use it when you are not?

• Like 1

It is why everything I carry in, I carry out, never leave anything out of my sights. If I see someone elses stuff, I respect it and leave it alone. But yes, if the choice was to have it used or have it stolen, I certainly would rather have it used.

I learned my lesson the first and only time I put a stand on State land. Me and two buddies set stands the morning before the bow opener. We got there at first light, opening day and my two friends stands (Good lock ons) and all their steps were gone and one of the thieves left a brown bomber at the base of one tree. I lucked out. They took my first few steps but left the stand. Guess their hands were full.

i didn't use the stand but i found leaving a noted strange! i again don't care if someone was to use my stand but then again i don't hunt publicc land much, only when i go to the southern tier.

i'm heading back down in January to hunt the DMFA and i will bring my own stand.

Edited by Hunter7mm-08

Typical I carry in- carry out with my climber or hang on. Occasionally if it is late in the day and I know I am returning he next morning I will leave the hang on up. I don't bother others stands but certainly have no problem hunting next to them, especially if they are not occupied.

There was a permanent stand I climb into once just to get a look around a new area I was hunting, was up there about 5 minutes mid afternoon and took a nice 8 pointer. Thought about leaving a note saying thanks for not being in their stand but opted not too.

It sounds a tad naive on his part...but I see his point and yours...rather see one sitting in it than carrying it..lol

then again he may be very scent conscious...non smoker...ect ect where as...say you my not be...I would not want to find a good spot and hang a stand ...just to come back and have every deer in the area looking up at me...

I have a question for anyone that hunts on state land (or anyone who wants to answer). I was hunting on Cornell land this past weekend and i found a number of stands and one stand had a sign that said not to hunt from my stand. I thought that was kinda strange; when i put a stand on state land and i am not using it i could careless if someone else using it. i would rather them use it than steal it. My question is: if you put a stand on state land, do you really think nobody else is going to use it when you are not?

i have several stands on cornell land....if I catch someone in my stand....all hell will break loose

hunting out of someones treestand is like hitting on there wife.....it will leed to problems

I agree that using someone elses stand is rude,disrespectful and down right wrong.But what i don't agree with,is the claiming a certain spot by placing your stand there.Once you put that stand there it is now your spot.So if i come along scouting the area and find a nice spot i like then look to my right and see your stand,the nice thing to do would move on to find another spot.I don't know about the cornell ground,but i don't think it is as large as happy valley or conniticuit hill where you have another 5,000 acres to choose from.

But it is the way it is in areas that allow permanent stands.first come first serve.

Does anyone leave a stand up all season on public land? I read in the regs for a couple spots by me that said stands need to be removed by the end of the following day the season ends. Dont think I would be too keen on doing that as you never know who will get in it or take it.

i have only hunted darien lake state land and they prohibit permanent stands. However i would not get in someones stand had they chose to break that rule because i only trust my equipment and it's not worth the confrontation. Buy a nice climber i say

Is that a lower case i that I see there ..... 3 times? Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. ..... lol.

i have several stands on cornell land....if I catch someone in my stand....all hell will break loose

hunting out of someones treestand is like hitting on there wife.....it will leed to problems

What if they are on the ground leaning back on the tree?

Or in a climber 10 ft away in the next tree?

very much disagree with you. Putting a stand up on state land is similar to leaving your canoe on a state beach. Again, i wouldn't get in somebodies stand, but to let hell break loose if someone climbs in yours is a little silly to me.

• Like 1

It's because of situations like this that I try my best to find private land to hunt. Just too many competitive people with loaded guns looking to start an argument.

My opinion- setting out a stand on public land and then telling someone to stay out is just inviting trouble. I never gave much thought to hunting in someone else's stand, and I never got upset when someone hunted from mine. But, not everyone feels this way, obviously.

very much disagree with you. Putting a stand up on state land is similar to leaving your canoe on a state beach. Again, i wouldn't get in somebodies stand, but to let hell break loose if someone climbs in yours is a little silly to me.

first of all...this is not state land, you have to pass a background check just to hunt there

second, I spend more time running cameras than most people do hunting, just to find a good spot, then someone else shows up without a clue, and jumps in my treestand, that is NOT acceptable

I have hunted here for over 25 years, now everyone and there brother shows up, no scouting at all and just starts walking the woods, and hunting out of the first stand they see

how about you try to scout your own spot, hang your own stand, and have a little repsect

and I promise if you get caught in my stand all hell will break loose

first of all...this is not state land, you have to pass a background check just to hunt there

second, I spend more time running cameras than most people do hunting, just to find a good spot, then someone else shows up without a clue, and jumps in my treestand, that is NOT acceptable

I have hunted here for over 25 years, now everyone and there brother shows up, no scouting at all and just starts walking the woods, and hunting out of the first stand they see

how about you try to scout your own spot, hang your own stand, and have a little repsect

you are right Cornell land is not state land and people do have to pass a back ground check.

I didn't hunt in the stands i found and i was just asking if someone hangs a stand on land that is being hunted by other people would they accept that others hunt in it.

I have never hunted in Cornell land before and the main reason i did this year is because of the January season. I like what i see on Cornell land and i will be back in January and maybe next year southern tier muzzleloading season again. As far as all hell breaking loose, you might want to calm down because there are alot of mean son of b____s out there.

I'll ask again.

I'll ask again.

I don't own the land....I can't tell them not to lean against the tree....I own the treestand....stay out

I would say this.....if you are leaning against a tree with someones treestand in it....you are a poor hunter with no ethics or class

as for 7mm

there are alot of mean son of b____s out there

now you get it

i'm done deer hunting there anyway, I only hunt there because I live and work right next door, cornell property borders my property,

Just seeing if you felt that placing multiple stands on a shared property means you have a claim to that area.

It's apparent you feel that way.

That's my question as well, do people think that simply putting a stand on public land think that entitles them to sole use of that area? I would never use another's stand, but wouldn't think twice about setting up in the same area just because someone puts a stand there.