New World's Fastest Production Rimfire

dbHunterNY

More powder, more speed. I was surprised that they increased the weight of the bullets though.

It's nothing more than a glorified .17 HMR, nothing to really rave about IMO.

My opinion is that those that already have a 17 HMR won't be running to get this round, and those that don't have one already may not be looking to pick one up with so little improvement.

17 HMR is fast enough. The limitations of the 17HMR wasn't the speed or the force, it was that the caliber is just too small of a bullet to tackle larger game animals. I wonder if a .22 super magnum is in the works. Having a 22 WMR with the speed and accuracy of a 17 HMR. Now, that would be a game changer.

• Like 1

17 HMR is fast enough. The limitations of the 17HMR wasn't the speed or the force, it was that the caliber is just too small of a bullet to tackle larger game animals. I wonder if a .22 super magnum is in the works. Having a 22 WMR with the speed and accuracy of a 17 HMR. Now, that would be a game changer.

You mean a .223 in rimfire?

I'm glad this round didn't surpass the kill power of the .223, because if it did, game laws may have to be revised to ban the .223 from big game.

More powder, more speed. I was surprised that they increased the weight of the bullets though.

It's nothing more than a glorified .17 HMR, nothing to really rave about IMO.

My opinion is that those that already have a 17 HMR won't be running to get this round, and those that don't have one already may not be looking to pick one up with so little improvement.

I think that a 500FPS velocity increase with equal bullet weight is HUGE ..

It's kinda like comparing a .22 Hornet to a .223. This will increase effective range over the .17 HMR plus increase energy ft/lbs at all ranges.

Being a handloader, it's not my cup of tea, but if the accuracy is there, it certainly is a significantly more powerful cartridge than the .17 HMR..It might even prove to be a viable coyote killer...

I'm glad this round didn't surpass the kill power of the .223, because if it did, game laws may have to be revised to ban the .223 from big game.

To produce the same amount of power as a 223 (amount of powder, density in the casing, size of bullet) you're going to pretty much approach 223 prices minus the primer which would defeat the purpose of producing a rimfire round. Once it reaches 223 prices, then why not just get a 223?

No. This new rimfire round still seems to have a lot less powder than a 223 round. Also, with the larger casing, 223 can fit heavier bullets up to 75 grains. Most 22 WMR are in the 36 to 40 grain range.

I think that a 500FPS velocity increase with equal bullet weight is HUGE ..

It's kinda like comparing a .22 Hornet to a .223. This will increase effective range over the .17 HMR plus increase energy ft/lbs at all ranges.

Being a handloader, it's not my cup of tea, but if the accuracy is there, it certainly is a significantly more powerful cartridge than the .17 HMR..It might even prove to be a viable coyote killer...

So you'd consider taking a yote with a chest shot with this round?

I just don't know about that tiny .17 cal. bullet, no matter how fast its flying.

Anyone that knows me and what I think about overpowered firearms will know that I am on the side of using little to accomplish a lot, and shot placement above all else.

I often find it excessive the type of calibers some hunters use for deer and predators. But even with that mentality, I can't see this round taking a humane body shot at a yote for the purpose of recovery.

I'd be surprised if this round would be reliably accurate out to 250 yards.

Maybe, maybe not...The .17 Remington centerfire ( basically a .221 Rem Fireball necked to .17 cal.) had a lot of proponents among the fur hunters 30 years or so ago. Admittedly the velocity was higher ( around 4000 FPS) but there were plenty of folks whose goal was recovering pelts, which were worth $50 to $75 PLUS who seemed to think the 25 grain .17 cal. bullets were an efficient fur harvestor.

I wouldn't write this .17 rimfire off until there are field reports of its effectiveness,or lack thereof.

Meanwhile you can shoot coyotes with anything you choose to shoot them with.

Edited by Pygmy

I see most yotes here during deer seasons; and with shotgun county, and not being able to carry a centerfire for a good portion of season; be interested in how this plays out.

I'd shoot a yote in a heartbeat with 20 grs at 3000.

More intersting is to see who at SHOT will come out chambering for it.....and who else jumps on the bus.

The power would be irrelevant, rimfires are already not permitted for big game.

From 17 grains to 20 grains is a 17% increase in mass, and relatively a small increase in velocity. 17% increase in speed to be exact.

You bring up a centerfire 25 grain bullet traveling 4000 fps. That's a 47% increase in mass and a 56% increase in speed to the 17 HMR!

I think it's clear we're not comparing apples to apples here.

No, Einstein, we are not comparing apples to apples...

However, I contend that the published ballistics for this Winchester .17 RF cartridge are still SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful than the .17 HMR, and it MAY PROVE effective on coyotes..

Perhaps a few pilgrims here will shoot a few songdogs with the new cartridge and let you and me know how well it works..

Meanwhile, I'll keep shooting them with whatever firearm I happen to have handy when I see one.. Perhaps you can shoot one behind the ear with your pellet gun, considering your regard for shot placement.

Part of being an ethical and responsible hunter is to know when you are under gunned and when to take an ethical shot. Seems like you may not have regards to this for yotes, as if they don't deserve a quick death. I hope I'm wrong, as I respect many of your hunting related posts.

Part of being an ethical and responsible hunter is to know when you are under gunned and when to take an ethical shot. Seems like you may not have regards to this for yotes, as if they don't deserve a quick death. I hope I'm wrong, as I respect many of your hunting related posts.

I never suggested that I ever shot at any animal and did not intend or expect it to have a quick death.

If I shot at a coyote with a .22 rimfire, it would be in a circumstance where I thought I could kill it, which is certainly a reasonable expectation under certain conditions. I have shot 3 coyotes with shot loads while hunting other game..All were at close range and all were killed quickly... #6 shot WILL penetrate a coyote's shoulder blade at 20 yards..I can show you the shoulder blade to prove it. I have passed up shots at coyotes that I felt were beyond killing range with shot loads. I never shoot at ANY animal unless I feel I can kill it.

I have killed 2 coyotes with a 7mm08 and one with a 9.3 x 62...No argument there.

That Winchester .17 load sounds to me like it should kill a coyote at any reasonable range. If I had one in my hands tomorrow and had a good shot at a coyote at 150 yards, I would shoot with confidence that if I hit it well, I would kill it.. I might be wrong, but it wouldn't be the first time.

Never disputed the lethality of this round or that of the .22LR and .17 HMR, just the humanity of the round and shot placement to recover game the size of a coyote. I look forward to hearing how this round fares.

So anyone selling their 17 HMR or .22 WMR to buy one of these?

The 17HMR and 22WMR filled the void between the 22LR and the 223. Rightfully so. It looks like this new 17 super mag fills the void between the 17HMR/22WMR and the 223. The problem I think is that there isn't a game animal out there that's fits in between those two calibers. As in, there isn't an animal where the 17HMR is under powered and at the same time, the 223 was over powered and/or too expensive.