Browning BPS Buck Barrel

boo711

I have a Browning BPS 12 gauge with a Buck Special barrel. Rifled sights. Eyes are fading as I get older. Thinking of getting a cantilever barrel and putting a scope on it.  Wondering where I can find a place tho find out the going price for the barrel with rifled sights to sell. Anyone know of any gun shops that would take the barrel on trade for a new one?  My dad had a buck barrel for a 20 gauge Remington 870.  Took it to a dealer in Rochester and he took the buck barrel on trade for the new cantilever barrel and scope.  My dad doesn't remember the name of the place.

I have the same gun , i have the field barrel and smooth bore slug barrel . I would love to get the rifled slug barrel and have everything refinished and build a nice case for it all. I can almost never find the barrels for sale even on the internet ,i found a hastings that was 300 and already sold. 

34 minutes ago, boo711 said:

I have a Browning BPS 12 gauge with a Buck Special barrel. Rifled sights. Eyes are fading as I get older. Thinking of getting a cantilever barrel and putting a scope on it.  Wondering where I can find a place tho find out the going price for the barrel with rifled sights to sell. Anyone know of any gun shops that would take the barrel on trade for a new one?  My dad had a buck barrel for a 20 gauge Remington 870.  Took it to a dealer in Rochester and he took the buck barrel on trade for the new cantilever barrel and scope.  My dad doesn't remember the name of the place.

Browning bps are drilled and tapped for scope on reciever no reason for cantilever

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

If he wants a rifled barrel i think its his only option from what ive seen when looking for a rifled barrel. 

They have a rifled choke tube barrel 5 in .  Does same as fully rifled barrel.

59 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Browning bps are drilled and tapped for scope on reciever no reason for cantilever

I use the gun for bird hunting. Do not want it drilled and tapped unfortunately. My Ithaca deer slayer is mounted to the receiver 

A rifled choke improves accuracy, but will not be as accurate as a fully rifled barrel.  Same for mounting a scope on a receiver vs a cantilever mount.  When the barrel can move independent of the scope, it will not group as well.

Will it be good enough to shoot deer at 100 yards? Yes.  Will it be able to shoot groups as small as a fully rifled cantilever barrel? No.

The most accurate slug guns are bolt action models.  Barrel, receiver and scope mount are fixed to each other, so consistency from shot to shot is assured.  If you want a pump for a slug gun, and I have a BPS with a cantilever mounted scope on it, you want to eliminate anything that messes with consistency.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Is that true? Rifled choke is as accurate as a rifled barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5in rifled choke on bps shot gun will preform the same as rifled barrel it was designed for brenecki  sabot slugs. Killed many deer with it . Shotguns are low velocity doesnt take much to stablize  it  not like a rifle 1000 ft or more faster

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, G-Man said:

5in rifled choke on bps shot gun will preform the same as rifled barrel it was designed for brenecki  sabot slugs. Killed many deer with it . Shotguns are low velocity doesnt take much to stablize  it  not like a rifle 1000 ft or more faster

Interesting. Ive never seen a 5" rifled choke, just the short one that came with my 11-87