Cost of Corn Plot???

Hi I am wondering how much people charge to plant corn for someone. I don't have any equipment yet and I am wondering how much one would pay for a corn plot per acre. I have about 7 tillable acres that has had corn grown on it before.

A per acre estimate in cost is what I am looking for.

I can provide all the seed and I am just looking for a rate people charge to till and plant per acre. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I had asked a farmer up the road from my property in schoharie county about putting in a little less then an acre of corn for this year. The area has been tilled and planted in previous years. I just don't have the equipment for corn. He said he would do it for $50 an hour and it would probably take him no more than three hours. I would also be supplying the corn. That price seemed more than fair to me. Figure his tractor, attachments, time, and gas. Money well spent !

Edited by Pav2704

7 Acres of corn seems a little excessive especially when you think about the nutritional value of it. 0%. You would do better with a mix of some kind of drought resistant clover mixed with, chicory or some kind of legume for a summer plot. You would get a better return for your money IMHO. Not saying to not plant some corn maybe a few acres but not the whole thing.

I am confused ... You have no equipment, but you are offering to plant corn for someone else? .... But on your land.

Something else to consider .... 7 acres of one crop may be a bit overdone. You might consider breaking it up into smaller plots and putting in a variety of crops to spread the useful time-span and a balance of nutrition through more seasons of use.

Take a good look around your area to see how much corn is being planted by others. Farmers generally harvest their corn by mid to late November, so action in your field may be limited till then. I like to witness how much corn is planted around me, before making a acreage calculation.

No-till may be a more cost effective approach to planting your corn. Corn does well and the land doesn't get as soft in late fall. Spray will control weed-grasses.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

I thought about having the farmer lease the land, however, I want to keep it standing throughout the year. I realize that corn has 0 nutritional value but I've definately seen an increase in deer sightings on my property once my neighbor harvests his corn. If you can afford to pay someone to plant it and leave it for the winter, I think you would be better off.

If you have corn planted and harvested near by...perhaps you could talk him into planting an alfalfa or clover field...even a hay field ...that's a better year around attraction...especially seeing you'd need to hire him to come in and chop that field before it could be planted again...see that $$$ lay out increasing?...Not to mention how VERY VERY expensive it is to replenish what corn eats up in your soils...

I had asked a farmer up the road from my property in schoharie county about putting in a little less then an acre of corn for this year. The area has been tilled and planted in previous years. I just don't have the equipment for corn. He said he would do it for $50 an hour and it would probably take him no more than three hours. I would also be supplying the corn. That price seemed more than fair to me. Figure his tractor, attachments, time, and gas. Money well spent !

thats a great price, i had a guy give me an estimate over the phone on about a 1/4 acre to half acre just to plow my field so i can do the planting and he told me $1200-1500 was going rate. i told him what a way to try and take advantage of a city boy and told him no thanks... if he told me 500 he would have had my business. 1500? thats insane IMHO!

thats a great price, i had a guy give me an estimate over the phone on about a 1/4 acre to half acre just to plow my field so i can do the planting and he told me $1200-1500 was going rate. i told him what a way to try and take advantage of a city boy and told him no thanks... if he told me 500 he would have had my business. 1500? thats insane IMHO!

Wow, $500. Did some last year for $150 and thought I was overcharging, LOL. But, they did furnish the diesel fuel.

corn is not 0 % nutritional value. it is low in protein, high in carbs(the ears that is) the young plant are eaten as well (14%protein) and face it if deer have large amout of fat reserve from carbs they come out of winter in better shape, when protein is important for antler growth. many of us are not antler growers. i leave at least 7 acre of corn every year and the deer are much healthier for it. especially in deep snows. thats why acorns are eaten like crazy high in carbs deer know what they need to make it through winter.... CARBS!!

I agree ...but you have equipment and he does not...having to have someone come in and take down that standing corn stalk...replenish the nutrients corn takes out.... Then on top top of that... the field prep and seeding...He's talking a lot of cash out of pocket...when there are so many better options..IMO

A rotational planting there is all he would need. A deal worked out for the farmer to cut half the field for his own use, is also a possibility. 7 acre field is large and large equipment will be needed. Depending on condition of field a no plow planting and herbiside application would be the most cost effective if the farmer has the equipment . my equipment 3 tractors , 10 'disk, 3 and 5 bottom plows, and corn planter still cost less than an new atv at todays prices... and i have had them for almost 20 years now and many were field finds just paid for value of scrap. They will be a large equipment auction again in angellica this spring and many excelent buys can be made there and at other auctions. as well as private sales. I f i were to charge 50$ an hr it would take 4 hrs to plow if fallow 30 year old sod, 2 to disk, 2 to plant. so for under 500$ this year he would have a 7 acre plot. plus he seems to be looking for equipment of his own as well for future plantings.

I'm a firm believer in rotation cropping as you know...and yep once you get the equipment it tends to pay for it's self in time.....For now I think his best bet is dealing with a farmer......he could end up getting $$ towards the equipment he wants down the road or even getting used stuff from the farmer him self.

If you lease or have a farmer plant corn on your property make sure they fertilize and lime your soil. Corn depletes your soil the most of all the ag crops.

corn is the worst crop you can grow for your soil haha. so good points. Remember too that a lot of farmers are subsidized. You're not going to get any subsidies for your plot so factor that into your decision.