Tree stands on state land

vtpainter

I had a guy on private land put his ladder stand up directly across from mine about 10 ft away, facing me about 6 yrs back. I took mine down and came back with a bottle of shampoo and lathered up all the trees and bushes around his stand. F with me will ya

I had a guy mount one to the same tree as mine....talk about awkward when i was in mine well before sun up and he climbed into his about 20 minutes later lol

Edited by TeeBugg

One of the problems with lugging equipment (stands) is that in the one kind of hunting area that you want to get as far in as possible, is state land. It would be nice if you could feel comfortable leaving all that junk in there once you have dragged it all in. Sometimes going in with a full pack and stands etc. gets to be a little much for allowing you in as deep as is adviseable on crowded state land. Add to that the fact that a lot of state land consists of killer hills, carrying piles of equipment sometimes can relegate you to hunting where everybody else hunts ..... not far from the road or parking lot. For me, state land generally means traveling light. Of course I no longer use treestands, so that is no longer a concern for me.

I remember once seeing another bowhunter who had just struggeled his way up the hill. He was lugging a pack, a pretty heavy-looking treestand and a few of those tree-step gizmos, and of course his bow. This guy was breathing like a steam engine, and had literally soaked through his camo. I'm not sure he had an ounce of fluids left in his body. He not only smelled like a horse from the sweat, but undoubtedly he was about to spend a long afternoon freezing from being soaked in the cold weather. That was really a whole lot more stubborness than good sense. But he did get a long ways away from the road.......ha-ha-ha.

Off topic, but sweat, well they say it kills. lol. It will get you extremely cold, thats for sure.

I used to hike in to some remote spots, and would change completely after sitting for a little bit. I would put all my drenched clothes in a platic bag. Platic bags smell pretty bad too though. I figure if I can smell plastic, surely a deer can.

I am sure changing clothes completely would be some sight in the snow, with not much to stand on. Hope there were no trail cams.

I had a guy mount one to the same tree as mine....talk about awkward when i was in mine well before sun up and he climbed into his about 20 minutes later lol

I literally started laughing my @ss off when I read this lol.  That would be weird if is were in gun season I might just have to move myself lol.

One of the problems with lugging equipment (stands) is that in the one kind of hunting area that you want to get as far in as possible, is state land. It would be nice if you could feel comfortable leaving all that junk in there once you have dragged it all in. Sometimes going in with a full pack and stands etc. gets to be a little much for allowing you in as deep as is adviseable on crowded state land. Add to that the fact that a lot of state land consists of killer hills, carrying piles of equipment sometimes can relegate you to hunting where everybody else hunts ..... not far from the road or parking lot. For me, state land generally means traveling light. Of course I no longer use treestands, so that is no longer a concern for me.

I remember once seeing another bowhunter who had just struggeled his way up the hill. He was lugging a pack, a pretty heavy-looking treestand and a few of those tree-step gizmos, and of course his bow. This guy was breathing like a steam engine, and had literally soaked through his camo. I'm not sure he had an ounce of fluids left in his body. He not only smelled like a horse from the sweat, but undoubtedly he was about to spend a long afternoon freezing from being soaked in the cold weather. That was really a whole lot more stubborness than good sense. But he did get a long ways away from the road.......ha-ha-ha.

I also hunt sometimes from the ground and DEFF would agree that its easier to pack into an area w a ground blind or just a pack and gun/bow and pick a good spot to sit/natural blind...

LOL

Off topic, but sweat, well they say it kills. lol. It will get you extremely cold, thats for sure.

I used to hike in to some remote spots, and would change completely after sitting for a little bit. I would put all my drenched clothes in a platic bag. Platic bags smell pretty bad too though. I figure if I can smell plastic, surely a deer can.

I am sure changing clothes completely would be some sight in the snow, with not much to stand on. Hope there were no trail cams.

LOL LOL

• 3 weeks later...

The older I get the less stuff I want to carry along, just what I need. A climber on the other hand, or over your back I should say has become one of those things for day runs on state land / wma spots. Having said that you can't always get up into a good spot with a climber. So a set of sticks and a hang on it is. Back to the getting older thing, maybe thats what it is, but seriously who wants to carry all that jazz in and out of the woods all the while. Frackin not me. So these days that set up is for a more temp & testing spots on my lease before I set up a ladder or something more permanent. Other then that if I find a nice spot but can't get into it with what I got, I hunt elsewhere, that's all there is to it.