Deer hunting on State Lands

wztirem

How Often during the Open Deer Season do you hunt State Land?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How Often during the Open Deer Season do you hunt State Land?

• I only hunt State Land
    • I hunt State Land occasionally
    • I hunt State Land half the season
    • I only hunt private land

In the past I primarily hunted private land in several DMU's. For the past several years I have elected to hunt State Land closer to home and may I add with excellent results. I have not eaten a tag sandwich in a long while.

Karpteach...makes me sad to hear guys say things like that...We bought 24 1/2 acres for 10,000 dollars ...just before season opener last year....Our son bought 5 acres with a  lrg updated farm house ...pond...2 garages...and a 12x10 ft shooting house on 20ft telephone poles for 35,000...3yrs ago when he was 21yrs old

It's not so much the money but the time you put into it.......

Karpteach...makes me sad to hear guys say things like that...We bought 24 1/2 acres for 10,000 dollars ...just before season opener last year....Our son bought 5 acres with a  lrg updated farm house ...pond...2 garages...and a 12x10 ft shooting house on 20ft telephone poles for 35,000...3yrs ago when he was 21yrs old

It's not so much the money but the time you put into it.......

Growalot, In what part of the state did you pay those prices? I'm glad that you guys are set. I have never seen property this low downstate. Was looking at 12 acres in Pine Bush. The guy posted on craigslist for 16.5 grand , turned out he wanted 165 thousand . Prices are crazy down here.

John I used to hunt pine bush for many years. If you remember the big chicken farm (they used to collect eggs) farm off of 52. Robert was the owners son.

I don't remember that one. My uncles place is off of indian springs road.  I love it up there.

I only hunt State land, not by choice but that's all I have to work with.

Try finding private land to deer hunt on in Dutchees County.

I am very envious of any of you that have access to private land to deer hunt on.

State land deer are a completely different animal than private land deer.

I use to hunt Minniwaska State Park until the antler restrictions now I hunt Sterling Forest.

Last year I hunted 8 days usually at least 1 mile in and I saw 1 deer.

The year before that, on the 4th day of hunting I was lucky enough to get a doe.

In 42 years of deer hunting I've taken 23 deer (8 bucks/15 does).

I hunt state land or WMA usually a few times a year and to be completly honest I have never seen a deer on state land.  (seen plenty of tracks) I usually end up going towards the end of the season and I feel like the deer are either shot or pushed out.  It seems like with all the area though you would have to run into something?  But it just seems like there is to much hunting pressure there.  Never have tried bow hunting on state land though but have a feeling in might be better with less hunters. 

I bowhunt my land and my father's farm.  I only gun hunt in the big woods up North.  After spending a few weeks hunting where you never see a road, house or another person it sucks to come back down home where it takes 15 minutes to go through a patch of woods and find six houses on the other side. :D 

I know how the old man feels now because I drive around and say "I remember when so-and-so had corn there" and now there's a bunch of houses.  :'(

• Like 1

Pine Bush prices are nuts :) We looked there for about 10 min, then realized there is better land and prices 30-40 min away.  I've hunted Pine Bush since I was 15, lots of memories there.  This is my first year on the new property.

Did you ever hunt up off of Forest Glen Rd off rte 52?My old camp was at the left side end of the road I could walk across the road go up the hill and be at my stand in 10 minutes.I guess its all been developed in there now??Wish I'd never sold that cabin.JW

post-1589-131455346856_thumb.jpg

What's the best way to go about hunting state land?  Head out before the season to scout the area and look for signs?  Is there any way to avoid other hunters, other than being first?  What if you set up in a spot, and you see someone else hunker down in your line of sight?  How do you avoid encroaching on others? Is it ok to walk past and acknowledge their presence while looking for your own area?

Absolutely scout your area you plan to hunt. I guess it is first come first serve when getting out there. If I am set up and another hunter comes by, I try to get his attention give a wave or a whistle so he knows I am there! If see a hunter and you are passing through, out of respect, I try to circumnavigate the area to get to my area

• Like 1