Mushroom hunting

blackradio

Some apple. Some I don't know. Damp yet sunny. This was the biggest, maybe 1.5 in. 
IMG_6064.PNGTakes me 40 min to get to these in Wyoming county. Not sure where you are 

That's a nice one ! I've never seen one where we hunt in Wyoming county and I keep my eyes open for them. No poison ivy either so it evens out ?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I've been looking hard the past week, probably put in 6 hours total. Didn't find any in the woods but walked out my house to go t work yesterday and found 4 morels in my yard. Weird spot. It was in the roof drip line in some gravel and only 1 pine tree around. Weird.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2017 at 7:12 PM, Paula said:

I have found a lot but  waiting to pick them, they are pretty small.  

They don't "grow" . You might as well pick them before the slugs and deer get to them as they won't get any bigger.

13 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

They don't "grow" . You might as well pick them before the slugs and deer get to them as they won't get any bigger.

So are you saying they just show up as the size you see? I don't buy that. I have gotten thumb size and hand size. But who knows since I don't know much at all about them. 

I plan on checking on taking what I see tomorrow if they are still there. They had a bit of snow I think Monday  

If conditions are perfect they will grow a bunch. This cool snap won't promote an awful lot of growth.

I picked these last week.
The morels in the second photo were picked 3 days after the other ones(from the same patch). As you can see they didn't grow much.
ddeb1da897c5da60b48ded6894e7568a.jpg
0958e4e6cb4c579b237e025908acfff3.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/5/2017 at 9:43 AM, Paula said:

So are you saying they just show up as the size you see? I don't buy that. I have gotten thumb size and hand size. But who knows since I don't know much at all about them. 

I plan on checking on taking what I see tomorrow if they are still there. They had a bit of snow I think Monday  

The size that you find is more dependent on the conditions that produce or don't produce "vigor". Theoretically, they Grow over several days, but the critters will get to them after a  few days. Mostly slugs in my parts. If you are not going to return within a few days, you might as well pick any you find.

Sodfather totally hooked us up. Thank you sir I got a text literally minutes after asking Paula if she delivers We've never had these and were so excited.
These are 100% morels correct ? Don't want to accidentally poison my family. And how should I store these until Friday ? Cool n dry like our cold storage room ? How to prep ? Rinse gently in cool water ? Stems and caps both edible goodness ?  043579119e6a7fcadbff34674b09bf6a.jpg

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 2

Big 3 shroom score today!

Won't be eating these damn things again until I figure out how your supposed to get all the sand out of all those knooks and crannies. I just gave them a good rinse but apparently there's more to it than just that.

Great nutty flavor,

Camel nut texture,lol

CSC_0027_01.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

• Like 2

I knew when Wifey stayed out in the rain yesterday that she must be finding Morels.

They're still a bit stunted from the cool weather.

Small, but nice and fresh. Few if any slug holes in them. She didn't take a picture until she had split/rinsed them and had them ready to soak in salt water. (gets rid of any slugs) Nice little "mess" though. All grays and yellows.

Morels%205-13-17_zpsutyndkjo.jpg

It's supposed to be sunny and near 80*F Wednesday. I would expect some big 'uns. to be poppin' then. 

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I was 99% positive on ones I post but that 1% is a killer. Better to be safe than sorry.
Yes mowin , you got a good bingo.

Thanks.  Yes they look like the pics on here, but you nailed it. That 1% chance isn't worth it.  

Never had them before, so I'm looking forward to trying them.