Pistol permit anybody ?

Honestly, if you dont have any 22 right now, dont go that route, you will not be able to find ammo for a decent price. Trust me, I have been trying for months. As far as a nice 22 pistol goes, Id suggest the Beretta Neos U22. Its very affordable and one heck of a shooter. You can swap between multiple barrel sizes as well.

Are you saying even Beikirchs dosen't have any 22 ammo ? I havn't been in there in a couple months so I havn't checked . I was able to get a couple boxes of .380 bullets and some 20 ga sabot slugs . Then again when stock comes in , guys that might have bought a couple boxes of 22 ammo will now purchase a couple of bricks instead .

Ive been there a couple of times so far and no. They were out both times. I am not able to stop by there often, their hours arent very compatible with my schedule. I have had a few guys that were going there anyway look for me 4 or 5 different times, no luck then either.

Its nationwide, not local.

Getting a pistol permit sounds a lot more complicated than it was when I got mine in Steuben County in 1974....

All I did was...Picked up the permit application at the County Office ;

Had pictures taken at the local small town newspaper ( Addison Post);

Went to the local village police dept. to be fingerprinted ;

Had 4 character witnesses sign before a notary;

Turn in the application and wait for a Sherrif's deputy to perform his investigation and submit the application to a county judge for signing..

There was no interview or anything like that..I think it cost me about $20, including the fee for the photos.

I was at the Pistol Permit office yesterday in Buffalo. NY  with my daughter turning in her application for a pistol permit.Got hter about 9:30AM and there were about 25 people ahead of her. We were out of there in about an hour which wasn't bad. Then we went off to get the fingerprints taken for her.  I think it cost around 102.. Took about another half hour wait W/ APPOINTMENT. sHE IS ALL SET NOW. sHE IS 34 YEARS OLD AND SHOULD HAVE IT BY THE TIME SHE is 36.  Her husband got his in about a year 2 yrs ago but was denied CC.  I got my CC back in 1975 and I remember it was also tough back then. I was also a dealer in Erie county for about 8 years around 1990-1998 and remember I had to go through that process every yr to sell handguns... Life is getting tougher but the tougher have to get going. GOD bless America. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pistol permits in New York are time consuming for sure, It shouldn't be that much of a hassle. Once you get it you'll have fun shooting what ever you choose to buy. As far as ammo goes I think it will  e a year or two before you see any amount of ammunition available like it use to be. There are tens of millions gun owners and millions more joining our ranks. They can only produce so much in a day and the demand has jumped by leaps & bounds. You'll never get it if you don't apply.

Here in Washington State it's so much easier for people who want pistols, You just go to the gun store and buy what ever you want, no permit necessary. You can open carry, go target shooting, hunting or just have one because you can. If you want to carry concealed then you need to get a Conceal Carry Permit. I applied for mine on a Thursday and recieved it on the following Monday.

I have several handguns for different purposes, Target Shooting, Hunting and Conceal Carry. A nice first handgun would be Ruger Single-Six. I sold my old one and bought a new one a year or so ago. I bought the stainless steel model with the 22 long rifle and 22 magnum cyliders. It's a fun little gun to target shoot with and also for hunting squirrels, grouse and other small game. I prefer the stainless over the blue guns, another nice little 22 is the Ruger Mark 2s I have two of them both stainless one has a ten inch bull barrel the other has a 6 7/8 inch barrel. They are very accurate and never jam or mis-fire.

For a larger hand gun you can't beat the quality of a Ruger GP100 - 357mag. Again I prefer the stainless steel over the blued. I have one with the 6" barrel, shooting it is like driving a Cadillac, nice quality built gun that will hold it's value. The recoil is pleasent for a large caliber handgun. You can use it to target shoot, hunt deer with it and use it for personal defense. I also have a Rossi 971 - 357 mag that I use for a conceal carry gun, again it's stainless with a muzzle brake and I just bought a S&W 642 Airweight 38 + P to use as a conceal carry handgun. I have a bunch of others but these are a few that are decent guns for about $400 to $600 price range.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend asked me to sign his and be a reference the other day.  I said sure....

After we talked a little about it I asked him if he had any idea how long it might take to come through, he said he knew a County Sheriff who could fast track it and shouldn't take more than a month....................

Best of luck with that one!