No longer moving far from....

growalot

Warm rain??? lol ......we are now in the midst of white out conditions 27 wind roaring and snowing to beat the band....So much for me planting  peas on my birthday(April 1)....I'm not seeing where they are calling for much better weather any time soon....There's going to be so cold Easter egg hunts coming up...lol

(dyslexic) 

Edited by growalot

I don't think it has been too bad overall. Deer seem in good shape. I have noticed more deer-car accidents in my immediate location - but they all seem to be in very good shape thus far.

I actually think the doe population may be "rebounding" as going into last season was a bit lower doe numbers - even though they are like rats here...Not seeing as many bucks as I normally do (glassing with binos and spotter) - they may have been hammered more so than normal.

Phade are you in 8M or N?

Actually I have been seeing many more dark tarseled(sp) buck then EVER before....Looks like the corn going in has done me a big favor....well as far as sightings on our place this winter....hhhmmmm we'll see this fall...I do so miss the hay field next door ...It gave me such great buck sparing pics in the fall and summer velvet pics...I'll miss that at least for a few years...then he usually rotates into alfalfa...lets hope

I worry for they have dark brown urine and light brown very dry pellets now...looking real close and you can see the bones and ribs showing through the hides...The couple of melts we had did help and the many pine plantations always help a lot here

The deer have had a reasonable winter so far. But this March has been consistantly below average in temperature and the way I hear it, April is supposed to be below average as well. That is extending winter beyond the length that is normal. The longer winter is what stresses the deer more as the deer are starting to run low on reserves. The older deer still look pretty good, but some of the fawns are starting to look a little "ribby". I think your dropping some saplings for them may be a life-saver for some of those fawns.

8H

I think they'll be ok as long as the snowfall doesn't stack up. I think snowfall is more of an issue than the temps halting green-up. If there is bare ground (or patches here and there, you know what I mean), then they'll be fine. Some fawn die off is acceptable...it happens every winter regardless of severity...just the way of nature. That's why some biologists support fawn harvesting in hunting season for some management plans as they are most likely to die-off, so less resources they consume are left for those more likely to survive.

The deer have had a reasonable winter so far. But this March has been consistantly below average in temperature and the way I hear it, April is supposed to be below average as well. That is extending winter beyond the length that is normal. The longer winter is what stresses the deer more as the deer are starting to run low on reserves. The older deer still look pretty good, but some of the fawns are starting to look a little "ribby". I think your dropping some saplings for them may be a life-saver for some of those fawns.

Actually, the below average temperature sounds bad, but temp averages creep up very quickly this time of year. Our average high is 43 degrees today. ( I'll be happy with some 40 right now.) By April 1st, it's 50 degree. We'll have "spike" temps. through the period too.  Few weeks ago, it was 64 degree on a Monday-Tuesday. We can get a warm rain to green the grasses and legumes before turning cooler again. I believe, the next few weeks will be the hardest on the deer. I'm more concerned with the moisture content in the soils. It's looking dryer than usual right now in this area. Last year, we were fighting a dry growing season and those army worms, made for a shortage of hay. Not bad if you're a seller, but bad for the buyer.

Snow depths have the most impact, but low temps also mean calories burned. Neither condition is good when it continues too long after the normal winter length. We haven't had our normal March storm yet and I hope we don't. This is not a good time to be seeing any extremes of winter.

The good news is that this is a lot closer to normal than last year was. Who knows, maybe I will get some fruit off my trees this year. Last year was the "perfect storm" for screwing up blossom survival. Early hot weather for forcing blossoms out way to early and then several days of hard frosts after the blossoms were out. I don't believe there was an apple anywhere in the valley.

That was one good thing about being on the hill last spring...I thought we'd lost our crops and did on peaches and cherries...the oaks weren't very good...but had bumper crops of hazel nuts and the wild apples did OK....

Edited by growalot

Not looking too good for deer here this winter IMO. I've found 22 dead deer so far and haven't even made it to 3 other large properties yet due to the snow again. By no means am I blaming it all on winterkill, but a good majority I am.

We've got over 2ft. the past 2 weeks. It wouldn't surprise me none if my total dead finds exceeds 40 this year once we finaly melt out again. This last blast since the thaw may have caught the local herd off guard dispersing them from their winter ranges into more of a spring pattern. It could be an ugly sight out there in the coming weeks before green up in my area if the weather doesn't break soon.

I was out for another three hours cutting today...while Mr.B and the tractor did the drive...I really do not like seeing the very brown urine and those dry light brown droppings.......that has always signaled stressed out deer here...every area I cut in they have hammered...Good thing I didn't get it all done last year...no dead deer...but that could just mean they never made it out of the pines...it could mean a low birth # or high fawn mortality...time will tell...the night temps have been brutal nearly all winter

I was out for another three hours cutting today...while Mr.B and the tractor did the drive...I really do not like seeing the very brown urine and those dry light brown droppings.......that has always signaled stressed out deer here...every area I cut in they have hammered...Good thing I didn't get it all done last year...no dead deer...but that could just mean they never made it out of the pines...it could mean a low birth # or high fawn mortality...time will tell...the night temps have been brutal nearly all winter

Think the coloring could be the result from the end of the branches their eating?  You're deer in the pics , u posted look a lot better than some others, I have seen. They must be getting some nutrition, from other sources.