Anyone hunt grouse or woodcock on this site?

Yep, the thicker the cover the better for grouse. Although I've found pheasant in some pretty thick cover as well. Different food sources, different habitat. Not many "native" pheasants around these parts but there are still some native grouse around.

And of course, woodcock are found in those wet, aldery, grassy areas where their number one food source are worms.

ide like to give them a shot one day..

literally...

lmao.

when i was turkey hunting last month, i was getting real vocal with the call at one point and I think i heard a grouse making that kinda purring cluck noise.. .similar to a pigeon  but louder i didnt see it i am just taking a guess it was a grouse....... ..

there was also another song bird which i couldnt see that was also talking back to me everytime ide cluck and work the hen call... .

the songbird kinda had a melody of a doorbell in the sense where it would pitch a noise working it up and slowly down ( you must think im nuts ) ... it was nice to hear, just wish i woulda seen it..

In case of those, like me, doesn't know what grouse is : http://www.animaltrial.com/grousebird.html

Sporting  or game birds of the colder parts of of the Northern Hemisphere . Of  these 25 species, the grouse are henlike terrestrial birds , there  plumage is protectively shaded of brown, gray, and red. Entirely hidden  by feathers, and also their legs are completely feathered.         The ruffed grouse, is the most common at Eastern the American  variety (misscalled Partridge of pheasant), living in the forest this  bird is noted for its strumming sound made by the male during  elaborately courtship dancing. The ptarmigan , or snow grouse, is an  arctic species that imigrates to the North West United States in winter ,  its plumage changes color to match snow.    

Western American grouse like a prairie chicken and, was and  the sage grouse (this also called sage hen, sage cock all core of the  planes), of the Group the largest is 25 to 30 in. long . The males of  both the species are distinguished by yellow sacs on the next that  inflate to an enormous size during courtship. European species include  the black grouse, and the capercaillie. The red grouse is found in Great  Britain.

Anyone?

After the deer season, in Jan. and Feb. I really enjoy getting out to do Grouse and rabbit hunting, took about 6 rabbits this year and a few grouse just walking around. Grouse populations have been pretty high by me for the past 10 years or so. Not uncommon to hear the males ruffing their feathers during the breeding season, on a good morning you can hear them all over. And they also scare the crap out of me when they flush when im on my way to my treestand in the early morning darkness.

post-18-131455290336_thumb.jpg

post-18-131455290353_thumb.jpg

When I was a kid (yes there was a time when I was a kid), we used to have quite a few grouse around. Enough so that I did get a few. it's been a lot of years since we have had a true huntable population here in Ontario County. Yes, I still hear a few drumming every year, but the population is so low, I would feel bad actually shooting one.

Woodcock have always been a bit scarce here. This past spring, I had one walking up the driveway doing that silly little wobbling dance that they do. I had to actually stop the car until he wandered off the driveway and into the thicket. Goofy looking bird. I never did see where there was enough meat on them things to warrant the cost of a shotgun shell.

Doc

Grouse are one of the most elusive game birds. They are truly a challenge and a worthwhile trophy. Some grouse tails I've saved over the years. Displayed to denote the different color variations found (gray, brown, or sometimes referred to as red or a combination of both):

Colorations and locales they were taken:

MaineandNJandNY-1.jpg

Not that I think there are trophy grouse out there, but this was the largest grouse tail I've ever measured in forty years:

Mainegrouse2003.jpg

I go after grouse and woodcock every season. Last year we had 10 flushes on opening day, and the year before 22 flushes on openeing day. I go after woodcock too. They are some of the most fun to hunt, but you have to shoot about 20 of them for a meal.

If I had to rate what is my favorite hunt (and I hunt everything).. Grouse is the best!

• 2 weeks later...

I love to hunt grouse and woodcock. Although, I normally do not get out until after the deer seasons are over. Sadly not a lot of grouse left here in Dutchess County. I just bought land up in Gilboa, and I know from hunting over in Berne and Renessaerville there are still grouse to be found.

I love to hunt Grouse, and there are plenty of them here in Delaware County.  I shoot Woodcock when I get the chance, but don't hunt for them exclusively.  I like to hunt grouse in the early season before deer season opens.

Don't have a dog right now either, so it's tough hunting.  Plan on getting a dog next summer though.  Brittany Spaniel or Springer I think.  Any thoughts on that?

Don't have a dog right now either, so it's tough hunting.  Plan on getting a dog next summer though.  Brittany Spaniel or Springer I think.  Any thoughts on that?

Both are great dogs. I have hunted over both in my years. Both are Spaniel's and traditionally Spaniel's are flushing dogs. But I have hunted over Spinger's that were trained to point but most Springer's are true flushing dogs. You may not want that for grouse & woodcock. The Brittany's have been breed over the years to be pointing dogs as they are today and they make very good upland dogs with stylish points. I have hunted over a number of my friend's Brittany's and they are great dogs on grouse and woodcock. Springer's make a great pheasant dog though. They are rough and tumble dogs and work well on this type of bird.

It's really what your tastes are and hunting style and game pursued. I know fellows who hunt grouse with Labs and do very well indeed. Good luck in your selection.

My brother and I used to go small game hunting alot, mostly after deer season but some before too. Now my brother inlaw has a GSP so I expect to be hunting over a dog for the first time this year. I can't wait, after being around his dog and seeing how good he was my wife and I are looking to get one this fall for the kid's birth days.

Anyone have any tips on hunting grouse without dogs?  My friends property has tons of grouse and I have tried hunting them before but they are not easy.  Especially when you are walking through the thickness they usually are flying away and scaring the shit out of you before you have time to even draw the gun around.

Try entering the cover and standing still for about 15 seconds.  They get nervous when they can't hear you and will either flush while you are standing still, or flush as soon as you start moving again. 

Once you start moving, stop after you've moved about ten yards and wait 15 seconds again.  Keep doing this all the way through the cover.  Be ready for the flush, especially when you start to move again.  And also be ready for multiple flushes as thick cover sometimes causes the birds to covey up, especially in the winter.

If the birds are flushing close and not giving you much time to shoot before they fly into the overheard canopy cover, use an open choked 12 ga with a 24" barrel.  This gives you quick shooting and open patterns.  In the winter, when the trees have no leaves on them, you may want to switch to a 26 or even 28" barrel and go to a modified choke if the birds start flushing further out.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah! You bet yer bippy...Grouse and Woodrowz, New York state is and can be as productive as any NE state for the elusive Mr Ruffed Grouse, not to mention a healthy population of woodcock.

Having chased grouse throughout the entire NE, it always tallies up that we do just as well in our very own State, NY, as we do trekking over hill and dale hunting other states. Many, many State lands in NY are excellent for hunting grouse with populations being very steady in the last few seasons.

100_0668.jpg

-that shot is actually one from my files taken in (YIPEs) New Hampshire two years ago....we knocked em dead that year, gotta dig for the more "verifiable" NY grouse pix, or folks can just wait a few months and I'll get some fresh NY shots...! The season is so close I can taste the grouse now....can't wait,

best of luck to all this season-shoot straight

Hoss

• 2 weeks later...

I have and get one for every 5 shots or so...they do not call me  dead eye for nothing.

I no longer have dogs and have just moved into the delhi area and so far have not found any good public land to hunt. Now if you want to go to North Pharsalia state land there is lots of grouse in the area, old apple trees in the fields etc, they even made a section for holding grouse. But the cover is very hard on you and the dog.

• 3 weeks later...