Hi everyone ! I never hunt in my life

kevinwindwalker

I never hunt in my life ,  i got my first bow at couple months ago and took the hunter' education and going to take bowhutning education at 13 . April .    Before the dear hunting season come, I want to go out there and take some wild pigs for practice .     I live in NYC , so long island may be the first place i go to hunt . 

post-2964-0-57003000-1365377851_thumb.jp

yeah welcome.  Bowhunting will be especially challening to begin with.  Make sure you get to a archery store with a guy that can help you set it all up and the practice, practice, practice.  You owe it to the deer/pig to be able to make a clean shot.  If you check out the other forums there should be plenty to get you reading.

• Like 1

Welcome!

It's very fun and relaxing just being in the outdoors. Safety, responsiblity, and respect for nature is the first step. Keep in mind that hunting and killing are 2 different things. Stay positive and learn all you can about the animals and nature.

Are there really wild pigs on L.I.?

Welcome fellow NYC hunter.

Check out ProLine and Queens Archery both out by Flushing.  You can also shoot in Floyd Bennett Field but there won't be a skilled instructor there to help give you tips.  ProLine probably your best bet.

Bow hunting is one of the hardest and highest form of hunting.  Hope you don't get discouraged starting out on hard difficulty.

But if you're going to start your practice on wild pigs then you won't get any practice at all.  There are no wild pigs in NY state.

There are wild pigs in areas of NY, but they are few and far between even where they live at this point. I would start with hunting targets first, then move to small game or deer after that. If you really want to try hog hunting, youll have to go to a game farm or out of state.

Welcome fellow NYC hunter.

Check out ProLine and Queens Archery both out by Flushing.  You can also shoot in Floyd Bennett Field but there won't be a skilled instructor there to help give you tips.  ProLine probably your best bet.

Bow hunting is one of the hardest and highest form of hunting.  Hope you don't get discouraged starting out on hard difficulty.

But if you're going to start your practice on wild pigs then you won't get any practice at all.  There are no wild pigs in NY state.

What ?! But i was told that there were lot of wild pigs out there~ .  I have been to Proline and Queens archery , everything was good over there , people were nice , just too crowd there .

You mentioned about a out door archery range at Floyd Bennett Field , is it a public park ? I don't think NY state allow anyone practice on public places. 

What ?! But i was told that there were lot of wild pigs out there~ .  I have been to Proline and Queens archery , everything was good over there , people were nice , just too crowd there .

You mentioned about a out door archery range at Floyd Bennett Field , is it a public park ? I don't think NY state allow anyone practice on public places. 

It is a public park but your can not just show up and shoot any where whenever you want.  There is a specific archery range there and you can only shoot with it's open and supervised.  You also need a permit which I can't remember but it's something like $150 or so for the year plus it's really for your car so only one person needs to get the permit and all your friends can pack into the same car.  You need the car permit though.

"Archery is offered year round. Call 718-338-3799 for archery permits for Floyd Bennett Field."

A lot of hunters watch hunting shows and they get this idea that they just walk into a forest, see a deer within 1/2 an hour, shoot it, and bam!  Dinner is served.  They don't realize that in reality, it takes months of prep work and tracking, years, of experience in reading the signs before you can successfully hunt a deer.  Yes, sometimes people get luck and a deer falls right in front of them but that's rare and not a product of their skill.  I just see a lot of new hunters go into hunting with these unrealistic expectations and then they give up because those expectations are not met.

It is a public park but your can not just show up and shoot any where whenever you want.  There is a specific archery range there and you can only shoot with it's open and supervised.  You also need a permit which I can't remember but it's something like $150 or so for the year plus it's really for your car so only one person needs to get the permit and all your friends can pack into the same car.  You need the car permit though.

"Archery is offered year round. Call 718-338-3799 for archery permits for Floyd Bennett Field."

A lot of hunters watch hunting shows and they get this idea that they just walk into a forest, see a deer within 1/2 an hour, shoot it, and bam!  Dinner is served.  They don't realize that in reality, it takes months of prep work and tracking, years, of experience in reading the signs before you can successfully hunt a deer.  Yes, sometimes people get luck and a deer falls right in front of them but that's rare and not a product of their skill.  I just see a lot of new hunters go into hunting with these unrealistic expectations and then they give up because those expectations are not met.

You are right , i may just stay cool with fishing , hope i could go back to Wisconsin and hunt with my friends who live over and with a lot of hunting experience . 

I don't expect to get anything from hunting , I like archery , that is the reason I want to hunt .  

Do you have any suggestion?   I just want to go into wood with my friends and have some fun , is it good idea start with small game , like squirrel .

You are right , i may just stay cool with fishing , hope i could go back to Wisconsin and hunt with my friends who live over and with a lot of hunting experience . 

I don't expect to get anything from hunting , I like archery , that is the reason I want to hunt .  

Do you have any suggestion?   I just want to go into wood with my friends and have some fun , is it good idea start with small game , like squirrel .

Squirrels are tough for archery.  A deer moves an inch and you'll still hit it.  A squirrel moves an inch and it's a clean miss.  But if you're good, you can do it.  There are guys on here that has done it before.  If you shoot down on them from up top, you only need field tips or blunt (small game) tips.  If you're shooting up at them, you'll need flu flu arrows.

I'm not telling you to stay away from the woods.  I'm saying go in there with realistic expectations and enjoy nature.  Don't get discouraged if you don't see deer right away.  Real hunting is potentially going through the whole season without seeing any deer in range at all.

Squirrels are tough for archery.  A deer moves an inch and you'll still hit it.  A squirrel moves an inch and it's a clean miss.  But if you're good, you can do it.  There are guys on here that has done it before.  If you shoot down on them from up top, you only need field tips or blunt (small game) tips.  If you're shooting up at them, you'll need flu flu arrows.

I'm not telling you to stay away from the woods.  I'm saying go in there with realistic expectations and enjoy nature.  Don't get discouraged if you don't see deer right away.  Real hunting is potentially going through the whole season without seeing any deer in range at all.

Thanks a lot !  I used to work on cattle ranch , so i do love nature . But I had to move to NYC , it pretty upset me . I am trying to have some outdoor activities to keep myself happy during I am in the city .  Thanks a lot again !

Technically the Archery is free. But you have to pay for parking in the range area. It costs 50 bucks for the year. But be ready to lose arrows in the brush. I was there Sunday morning, had one arrow disappear into another dimension. and another one hit a post and break.

I really enjoy seeing the new ambition of first time hunters at any age. It is inspiring.

I hope you really enjoy the sport and who knows, maybe some of the people here on this forum are local to you and can meet up. Good Luck!

There are wild pigs in areas of NY, but they are few and far between even where they live at this point. I would start with hunting targets first, then move to small game or deer after that. If you really want to try hog hunting, youll have to go to a game farm or out of state.

Great bit of advice!

Kevin, I wasn't sure if there was some sort of game farm on L.I. that offered wild boar.

I sought the feral hogs in NYS up near Skaneateles lake a few times, but no luck. They are just so widely dispersed like WNYBuckHunter said.

Every hunter had to start somewhere. Personally, I took a button buck my very first year bowhunting 16 years ago, so don't let inexperience discourage you. I practiced shooting every day after school and soaked up every bit of knowledge I could from my dad, brother and magazines. I hope you stick with it. Us guys and gals are here to help newcomers. Ask lots of questions and practice practice practice!

welcome to a lifetime hobby!  bow hunting is the most challenging aspect of hunting you could start with. practice, practice, practice. theres not a worse feeling then doing everything right, getting within 25 yrds of a deer, and missing because you didnt practice! and above all have fun!