Ground Blind or Tree Stand?

onemore

Another topic got into this. Basically the effectiveness of a ground blind was split about 50/50.

Many commented that they need to be set-up early and brushed in or concealed some how.

Lot of it depends on where you want your feet while hunting, some people hate heights.

Another factor is your field of view, in a blind your view is a little limited.

Great for foul weather hunting as opposed to sitting up in a tree.

As far as convenience, think it is about the same for backpacking a climber as it is for toting a decent sized blind.

Hang-on stands can be some what time consuming to tear down & re-setup.

Bet if you took a poll, the climbing treestand would easily be chosen for overall effectiveness & mobility.

Not everyone has this option, but ladder stands are great choices once you have "hot spots" picked out.

Depends on where you hunt. Personal, public or private land. The terrain - woodlots, fields or thickets.

They all have their advantages & disadvantages!

I use hang on's, it makes it easier for bow hunting. This year I will be on the ground but I don't use a bround blind. I just pick a spot with something to break up my outline..a big tree, some brush, whatever is there. That keeps me as mobile as you can get plus its more fun to have a deer at 5 yards eye to eye. 8)  I can't get past the cost of some of these blinds...200-400 for something that is imitating the real thing and doesn't look 100% real unless heavily brushed in. Although I will say I can see the value when hunting with kids or adults that fidgit alot.

One surely doesn't need a tree stand to kill a deer with a gun.  I've probably killed just as many if not more from the ground.  Many were with my back against a tree and not too much concealment around me.  Tree stands probably help with bowhunting, though.  Although I can't understand the guys that go over 20 feet high for bowhunting.  Heck, if you are 30 feet up, you've got 10 yard of distance for the arrow to reach the ground straight down.  I can understand being above the deers line of sight, but if you are adding too much distance for a shot, how could it be a real advantage?

Actually Steve, when one goes up that high ballistically speaking it will shorten the distance to the target. Meaning you have to aim lower. That goes the same for guns and extreem angles, its just that for guns it is at a greater distance. The angle can be up or down it doesn't matter... thats when physics takes over.

Yes, I've heard of that, but when bowhunting I can't imagine guesstimating all this when a deer is standing there can be too easy.  There is enough to consider already with deer ducking, jumping the string, etc. before any of the other physics come in to play.  I think the less one has to compensate for before the shot, the better their chances will be.  The property I hunt is very steep, it's all pretty much all uphill or downhill.  Even if I'm in a tree stand a deer will either be above me or eye to eye with me if he approaches me from the uphill side.  So, I don't know how much of an advantage of concealment I really have up in the tree other than being able to see further in all directions.  If I have to shoot downhill, the distance can start picking up real fast.

Thats where those rangefinders with ARC built into them would be handy. They use them out west alot where it is more of an issue with rifle hunting and angle's. For bowhunting I think if you want to go up that far you should be fully aware of how your bow is going to shoot. As far as why some one would go up that far, its more likely their belief that it will get them out of the pesky wind currents and line of sight like you said. Me personally I start sweating at about 9 feet off the ground and rarely go above 15. lol

Our one spot is a very steep mountain kinda like yours, I can see where knowing your rifle is important in that situation. Again all one needs to do is aim a little low, or in my case just miss and scare the deer towards some one who can shoot better than I.

I hear you about sweating above 9 feet!  We have a couple of stands that have real aluminum ladders, the type used by roofers, to reach the stand and are still no more than 15 feet at the most above the ground.  I feel fairly safe in these homemade stands, but couldn't imagine climbing any higher into some of the contraptions other hunters use. 

Since I am planning to bowhunt again this year I pulled out one of those old fashioned bowhunting rangefinders I bought years ago where you focus it to a single image and get a range reading.  Man, those things stink big time.  Can hardly see anything clearly thru it. One of those new electronic rangefinders might be a worthwhile item.  Surely they have to work better than what was available in the past.  To me range estimation has always been the hardest part to bowhunting. 

Since I am planning to bowhunt again this year I pulled out one of those old fashioned bowhunting rangefinders I bought years ago where you focus it to a single image and get a range reading.  Man, those things stink big time.  Can hardly see anything clearly thru it. One of those new electronic rangefinders might be a worthwhile item.  Surely they have to work better than what was available in the past.  To me range estimation has always been the hardest part to bowhunting.

Yes as much as I dislike buying and carrying more stuff with me my new range finder has found a home in my pack. I got one last year for x-mas, its nice to have for sure. It takes the guess work out of it...leaving me with one less excuse. I have seen some for under $100, well worth it in my opinion.

If i had a choice it would be a treestand however I do use ground blinds also.  where I hunt there is one spot where I can't put a stand.  All i did was set up a ground blind and conseal as much as possible.  I also put the blind up about a month ago hoping that any deer coming through there is used to it by now. 

One question I have though is does anybody where all black in a ground blind if the inside of your blind is black or do you still where camo? 

• 3 weeks later...

For bowhunting treestands are the way to go. Doesn't seem to matter what kind - ladder, climber, hang on, matter of preference and how best to get into a particular tree. Climbers are great for day runs, state land, and checking out possible spots where you might not be sure you want a permanent stand or need to set up sticks etc. Blinds are great for foul weather but being up in a tree in the rain isn't all bad if your prepared. Blinds are also great for spots with a slight overview into an area where your gun hunting. Or maybe where the trees are nonsence and you can't get a stand in.

When hunting on my own property I prefer a groundblind that faces my food plot.  It offers me scent and motion control.  If I am on the move or hunting on someone else, I take my climber.

The biggest reason I use a ground blind is that I can bring my buddies with me.

picture.php?albumid=97&pictureid=3124