Opening Day NY Bird & PA Choked

Lawdwaz

IMG_4590_zpsa24530d1.jpg

Killed this one first thing Wednesday morning.  Hunting at my Uncle's place in Naples.  He came up the hill on a string.......1" spurs, 9.5" beard.

About an hour later in a different location I called in 3 adults for my friend.  They came in real nice also......for some reason my buddy thought they had made us and he took a shot at the closest bird at about 45 yards with the Mag 10 and off they all flew.  Choked.........

A couple hours later he banged a jake that was with a couple others.  Good day.

The next day we went to PA.  Around 7am, after making a few soft calls we got a gobble from a close one.  He hung up for a few minutes then came in and took a load of 4's from that same Mag 10 at 30 yards.  Nice adult.....

An hour later.......we spotted a bird out in a huge field about 400 yards away.  He strutted & gobbled at anything!  He was heading off to the east for a big wood lot.  We tried to head him off at the pass and it worked.  He was being difficult and came in cautiously slow.  He hung up in a tangled tree top and I would get a glimpse of his head & neck for a second then nothing.  This went on for a few minutes and he was pretty close, well within range of my gun.  Well, I think he got into my head!  I THOUGHT I had an opening and took the shot.  I'm not sure if WHERE the gun was even pointed.  I had been concentrating so much on finding a lane to shoot through I don't think I even aimed the damned gun.  Boy does that sting...........You work so hard for them and then pull that type of stunt.  

There goes my "Value" thread.  I jinxed it................................

Maybe I can go 9/10 for a little diminished value?

• Like 1